• Wild Thought: Missing The Upper-Tank Tater In Right

Posted by on May 7th, 2009 · Comments (12)

In an e-mail exchange today with a friend, we were discussing how the new Yankee Stadium isn’t “home” yet – the way that the old Stadium was…because of all the time we spent at the old Stadium and the need to see more games at the new Stadium in order for it to have that “familiar” feeling when you’re there. (For the record, I do feel the new Stadium growing on me. I’ve been there for three games now and have felt better about being there each time.)

However, one “familiar” thing from the old Stadium that I will miss at the new Stadium is the homerun into the upper-tank in right field. That was such a Yankee Stadium signature snapshot in my mind. Whether it was Oscar Gamble, Reggie Jackson, Mel Hall, Don Mattingly, Tino Martinez, David Justice or even Johnny Damon, there was just something cool about watching a lefty Yankees batter launch one into the upper-deck in right.

With the new Stadium, to get one into the upper-deck in right field, you’re going to need to book a seat for the ball on the Space Shuttle. Sure, maybe, once in a blue moon, someone might get one up there – but, it’s not going to happen, say, 15 times a year.

Anywho, that’s today’s wild thought: Missing the upper-tank tater in right at Yankee Stadium. How about you, will you miss it too?

Comments on Wild Thought: Missing The Upper-Tank Tater In Right

1. G.I. Joey
      May 7th, 2009 | 12:11 pm

I do miss seeing balls fly over the short porch and land up there in the deck, but I’m not so sure the stadium is ever going to feel like home the way this place is being run. I’ve been to the stadium seven times so far and the vibe has gotten worse each time. You can’t go down to field level for batting practice. Ushers are telling people that games are called due to rain, when they are only delayed. Hell, they tried to lock out Freddy and said it was “miscommunication.” The empty seats are embarassing and the stadium is flat every night with the exception of the bleachers and the upper deck. There is no life in this stadium.

2. MJ
      May 7th, 2009 | 3:17 pm

———
      Don’t forget Darryl Strawberry. I seem to recall a handful of his bombs landing up there in Tier/Section 35.

I will definitely miss that too.

Separately, Jason Bay’s HR on Monday night (I think it was Bay’s) hit the facing of the upper deck in LF. I can’t remember a single HR at the old park that ever approached the upper deck in LF. Weird how we’ll probably never see another RF upper deck shot but we almost saw a LF upper deck shot.

3. Corey
      May 7th, 2009 | 3:19 pm

or the show at the all star game, lets not forget that

May 7th, 2009 | 3:24 pm

————
      Didn’t Cecil Fielder put one up there?

May 7th, 2009 | 3:30 pm

Sheffield put one there off Roy Halliday in 2004.

6. May 7th, 2009 | 3:35 pm

Big Daddy did put one in the upper deck in left. And I think Canseco hit one up there in 2000 when he was with the Yanks.

7. MJ
      May 7th, 2009 | 3:38 pm

——–
      I totally don’t remember that. I will check YouTube because I’d love to see that.

8. mrgregb
      May 7th, 2009 | 9:12 pm

I’ve been to 5 games now at the new stadium and I hate it the more I go. I don’t feel welcome at the new stadium – service is incompetent and rude almost across the board from the execs down to the concession workers (actual quote from Johnny Rocket’s worker: “Oh you getting a burger? That’s gonna be at least 20 mins”. This after waiting 15 mins getting to the front of the line.) I take no pride in the fact that this is my team’s stadium, as I did with old Yankee Stadium. I’ve had a full season plan for 10 years and this will be my last year. I have a feeling many fans will be joining me.

9. May 7th, 2009 | 11:52 pm

FWIW, this is now the 2nd time I’ve heard about someone trying to get a burger at Rocket’s and being told to come back in 20 minutes. Man, that’s crazy…what is this, the food shack at your local little league?

May 8th, 2009 | 7:46 am

Given incidents at KFC & Popeyes, sounds like Rockets running out of burgers is par for the course :D

11. G.I. Joey
      May 8th, 2009 | 11:40 am

_____

I’m with you all the way on this one. At this point, I have no intention of getting another full season next year. The place is over staffed with people who have no clue what they are doing (only 20% of the staff are part of the crew from the old stadium).

12. YankCrank
      May 8th, 2009 | 1:01 pm

A-Rod put one in the upper deck of LF in 2007 off Livan Hernandez. That was a shot