• May 10th @ The Orioles

Posted by on May 10th, 2009 · Comments (10)

When Melky Cabrera made that throw on the Felix Pie single in the fourth, setting up a situation where the O’s had runners on second and third, with one out, and the Yankees already trailing by a score of 3-1, I thought that Joba Chamberlain was toast. I truly expected the flood gates to up at that point. But, give Joba credit – he got out of that and then posted two more good innings to boot.

Speaking of Chamberlain, he said all the right things in the post-game about Aubrey Huff mocking him with a fist pump after his first inning homer. Of course, Joba wouldn’t be in the position of being mocked, and then having to deal with these questions, if he toned down his act on the mound…

Hey, is Johnny Damon making his contract situation interesting, or what?

Lastly, how much fun is it to root for a guy like Francisco Cervelli?

Comments on May 10th @ The Orioles

1. yagottagotomo1
      May 10th, 2009 | 6:13 pm

Cervelli is easily the fastest catcher I have ever seen. He burns it down the line. In regard to Joba, I am fine with his emotion. Everyone gets too uptight about baseball for some reason. I thought Huff was mocking him rather than having an emotional response, which makes it an overt sign of showing up a player. That being said, in today’s game, with the strange culture of the sport, Joba probably had it coming.

2. clintfsu813
      May 10th, 2009 | 6:25 pm

Im sick of the fist pump crap. Papelbon shows just as much emotion and gets no flack. Joba gets crucified for throwing at Douchlis..and Beckett/Abreu got swept under the rug. Enjoy the loss Huff..you wont like Joba when he’s angry.

3. catseurat
      May 10th, 2009 | 7:02 pm

Ever since seeing Cervelli in spring training, AA last year, and in the WBC on TV, I’m rooting for him. He’s got a lot of talent plus is a natural leader. My money is on him to be the next Yankees fulltime catcher and take on a leadership role.

4. yagottagotomo1
      May 10th, 2009 | 7:26 pm

Also, Huff made comments stating that Joba had done this to him a number of times. Well, in the internet age, you can actually look these things up. He struck him out three times coming into today. The last two were last September and there was no reaction from Joba. The first time was in August of 2007. It was Joba’s 3rd career appearance, and he struck out Huff to end the 8th of a 6-5 game. Huff fistpumped towards Joba more times during that homerun trot than Joba ever did to Huff.

5. yagottagotomo1
      May 10th, 2009 | 7:26 pm

Oh, if it wasnt clear, Joba did fistpump that one time, in 2007.

6. Evan3457
      May 10th, 2009 | 7:31 pm

Francisco Rodriguez is also forever break-dancing after he gets a save. Nothing is said about him. Or very little.

I agree that players shouldn’t show up other players. Why is etiquette enforced only against a Yankees pitcher. Either we’re living by “Joe DiMaggio Values” (on-field values) or we’re living by Terrell Owens Rules (again, on-field). Pick one or the other, and apply it to all, equally.

7. butchie22
      May 10th, 2009 | 10:22 pm

Joba throws at people’s heads AND showboats. C’mon let’s show a little objectivity if this guy was on the Rays, Jays or Red Sox he would be the enemy no 1 of Yankee Empire. @ Yagotta, Joba made that fist pump in that Red Sox game last week when he was losing 4-3! That was extremely annoying to me.. I hate when Pape has that look on his face, when K- Rod is so expressive, @ Clint Beckett should have gotten no quarter over throwing at Abreu, he got suspended BUT correct me if I’m wrong Beckett doesn’t pump his fist AND throw at people’s heads too(he’s still a dickhead anyway)! I’m old skool on the show of emotion/showboating and I hate all of it regardless of who does it…….

8. yagottagotomo1
      May 10th, 2009 | 10:34 pm

Really? Beckett doesn’t throw at people’s heads? He doesn’t fistpump? Are you serious? He does both. And it annoys me when people on other teams do it because it means they just beat the Yankees, or did something good against them. I dont mind the act in of itself. Everyone needs to take a deep breath and realize that this is a game. Also, butchie, I’m not sure what thing of mine you were responding to. All I said was that Huff claimed Joba had done it to him many times, and that it was a lie.

9. JeremyM
      May 11th, 2009 | 8:11 am

Nothing Joba does is even CLOSE to what Papelbon or K-Rod does. Not even close. Did anyone see Papelbon last night? Yeah, he got out of a big spot, but he he is way over the top and then goes into a serial killer stare. Joba’s not even close.

10. butchie22
      May 11th, 2009 | 12:59 pm

yagottagotomo1 wrote:

You misunderstood my irony, mate. I don’t respect anyone who acts like Joba the Hut, Beckshit or PapelBONE. I used to hate it went Soriano used to admire his home runs. It pains homers for me to say that but I don’t care. Any pitcher regardless of what team they are on shouldn’t fist pump OR headhunt. So my statement on Joba: Screw Joba stands. AS for Beckshit, supposedly he has more respect because he is a veteran and he has the two rings etc so on so forth. BULLSHIT! He’s still a punk. K-Rod should be buzzed for acting the way he does! And of course, PapelBONE in interleague. I’d love to see a hitter imitate that anal aperture that PapelBONE has and his exuberance, that would be grand! @ Jeremy M, That’s a matter of perception BECAUSE if Joba didn’t wear the pinstripes trust me, he’s annoy you too. Then again, the K-Rod and PapelBONE boosters will say they have rings and Joba is a punk , once again BULLSHIT! They don’t respect the game either……