• May 19th vs. The Orioles

    Posted by on May 19th, 2009 · Comments (31)

    Ditto.

    That was going to be my entry for this game, above. Very laconic, no? And, then, the Yankees went and spoiled it by exploding for seven runs in the seventh inning. (He writes, laughing.)

    I wonder what the winning percentage is for teams who score seven runs in the seventh inning? Betcha it’s real high. Somewhere in Lester Grinspoon territory. Just like Teixeira’s blast today…

    Yanks have now won seven in a row. (Lots of sevens today, huh?) In my lifetime, the longest Yankees winning streak was 11 games – from August 31, 1985 through September 10, 1985. That one was powered by the likes of Joe Cowley, Ed Whitson, Bob Shirley and Rich Bordi. Ah, good times…

    The Yankees almost matched that in 2005 when they won ten in a row during May…powered by Carl Pavano, Kevin Brown, Paul Quantrill, Tanyon Sturtze and others…

    So, what do you say Yanks, can you win another five games in a row? That would make it an even dozen “W’s” – something I’ve never seen the Yankees do, ever.

    In fact, the last time New York won 12+ games in a row was back in September 1961. Long time, indeed.

    Comments on May 19th vs. The Orioles

    1. Tresh Fan
      May 20th, 2009 | 2:14 am

      So, what do you say Yanks, can you win another five games in a row?
      _____________

      Sure. So long as they’re playing the Orioles. So better make that 5 a 2.

      BTW did you know that during his playing days in San Francisco Whitson was known as “Easy Ed?”

    2. MJ
      May 20th, 2009 | 9:26 am

      Coincidental or not, I’m loving the fact that the Yanks are playing so well now that A-Rod’s back. Again, coincidental or not, I’m loving that Teixeira is absolutely mashing with A-Rod batting behind him.

      It may all be coincidence but it’s nice for the few A-Rod fans out there to see that — GASP — he’s still really, really good! I’ll take all of those stat-padding go-ahead homers any day.

    3. Corey
      May 20th, 2009 | 9:42 am

      @ Tresh Fan:
      i’m still afraid when they play the O’s…the O’s, outside of this winning streak, have played the yankees really well…it’s like they only come out to play against the Yanks and Sox

    4. Corey
      May 20th, 2009 | 9:42 am

      plus Huff just owns them

    5. YankCrank
      May 20th, 2009 | 9:45 am

      Coincidental or not, I’m loving the fact that the Yanks are playing so well now that A-Rod’s back.
      ——

      I know you say “coincidentally or not” to be precise, but i’ll go as far as to say it’s not coincidental. We’ve seen, for a month last year and a month this year, what kind of team the Yankees are without Alex Rodriguez: An awful one. You can call him an asshole, you can say he’s bad for the clubhouse or you can disagree with his contract (all valid arguments), but nobody can sit here and make a reasonable argument that the Yankees are a better team without Alex Rodriguez. He’s irreplaceable, end of story.

    6. YankCrank
      May 20th, 2009 | 9:49 am

      An awful one
      —–

      I may have projected on that statement just a little. They aren’t “awful” without A-Rod, but they’re certainly very average to below average without him.

    7. G.I. Joey
      May 20th, 2009 | 10:29 am

      If Phil pitches well tonight [crossing fingers], I’m confident we can sweep the O’s and get to 10 straight.

    8. G.I. Joey
      May 20th, 2009 | 10:30 am

      I meant 9 straight.

    9. MJ
      May 20th, 2009 | 10:56 am

      G.I. Joey wrote:

      If Phil pitches well tonight [crossing fingers], I’m confident we can sweep the O’s and get to 10 straight.

      I have no confidence in Hughes tonight. Hopefully the offense can bail him out because I was at his start vs. Baltimore on 5/9 and he showed the O’s nothing (of course Teixeira’s defense didn’t help, but still…).

    10. Sicilian Lou
      May 20th, 2009 | 11:13 am

      @ MJ:
      YankCrank wrote:

      Coincidental or not, I’m loving the fact that the Yanks are playing so well now that A-Rod’s back.
      ——
      I know you say “coincidentally or not” to be precise, but i’ll go as far as to say it’s not coincidental. We’ve seen, for a month last year and a month this year, what kind of team the Yankees are without Alex Rodriguez: An awful one. You can call him an asshole, you can say he’s bad for the clubhouse or you can disagree with his contract (all valid arguments), but nobody can sit here and make a reasonable argument that the Yankees are a better team without Alex Rodriguez. He’s irreplaceable, end of story.

      Yup.. Spot on here Yankcrank…
      The planets and Heavens are back in alignment.. lets hope A-Rod stays healthy and the rest of this MASH unit returns.. I am not asking for much, but boy I just want to see this team healthy for one month and lets see how many wins we can reel off during that time….

    11. Evan3457
      May 20th, 2009 | 12:06 pm

      The tough one is tonight; Hughes vs. Guthrie.

      And the Phillies aren’t going to be pushovers, either. They like playing in NYC, don’t they?

      Well, Queens, at least.

    12. Sicilian Lou
      May 20th, 2009 | 12:40 pm

      Evan3457 wrote:

      The tough one is tonight; Hughes vs. Guthrie.
      And the Phillies aren’t going to be pushovers, either. They like playing in NYC, don’t they?
      Well, Queens, at least.

      Dude.. That is one funny post!!!…

    13. Sicilian Lou
      May 20th, 2009 | 12:50 pm

      Speaking of Phil Hughes.. anything short of a Perfect game tonight, I think the Yankees are going to make a decision on him. .And forgive me if this was a topic of discussion recently, but any thoughts on what to do with Phrancise Phil?.. Do we send him down or put him in the bullpen?..

      I for one think its the bullpen… No sense in showing you can still dominate in the minors.. Time to get your education up here in the big leagues and learn how to get ML hitters out consistently..

    14. Corey
      May 20th, 2009 | 1:30 pm

      my man Mr. Cone (aka next pitching coach Cone) is right on the money with Hughes. Send him down to AAA and make him learn a change-up, it will speed up his fastball dramatically. Right now, if Hughes’ doesn’t have his top stuff, his cutter and fastball look similar and are about the same speed, this brings him back to the problem he had last year where he has only 2 pitches and hitters can sit on one of them. And, if he can’t throw his curve for a strike (like hi smost recent starts), then he has only 1 pitch,

    15. Sicilian Lou
      May 20th, 2009 | 1:44 pm

      Corey.. that’s an interesting quote by Cone.. Makes me reconsider my opinion here.. Thanks…

    16. G.I. Joey
      May 20th, 2009 | 1:44 pm

      Originally I thought that we should throw him in the bullpen and let him do some long-relief and learn in the bigs, but it seems we already have a competent long-reliever in Ace. With that being said, I’m going to have to go with the wisdom of Coney.

    17. MJ
      May 20th, 2009 | 1:48 pm

      And, if he can’t throw his curve for a strike (like hi smost recent starts), then he has only 1 pitch
      ——–
      Without looking at the data and only going by memory, I’d argue that his problem isn’t only that he can’t get his curve over for a strike but that he also can’t get his fastball over for a strike. At least in his last start vs. Minnesota, he was simply incapable of controlling his fastball and that makes any secondary stuff that much less deceptive since no one’s going to swing at a breaking pitch if they’re already ahead 2-0 in the count.

      In short, NOTHING has worked for Hughes since that start vs. the Tigers last month. He’s had flashes of brilliance (got some key strikeouts with RISP in his last start, for instance) but he can’t put his pitches together consistently enough from batter to batter.

    18. May 20th, 2009 | 1:51 pm

      Corey wrote:

      my man Mr. Cone (aka next pitching coach Cone) is right on the money with Hughes. Send him down to AAA and make him learn a change-up, it will speed up his fastball dramatically. Right now, if Hughes’ doesn’t have his top stuff, his cutter and fastball look similar and are about the same speed, this brings him back to the problem he had last year where he has only 2 pitches and hitters can sit on one of them. And, if he can’t throw his curve for a strike (like hi smost recent starts), then he has only 1 pitch,

      Geez, isn’t that what I said 10 days ago?

      http://waswatching.com/2009/05/09/may-9th-the-orioles/

    19. Corey
      May 20th, 2009 | 1:53 pm

      missed that post, I was in baltimore on the 9th :)

    20. Corey
      May 20th, 2009 | 1:55 pm

      plus, Conie 1-upped you with the change-up part

    21. Sicilian Lou
      May 20th, 2009 | 2:01 pm

      Steve Lombardi wrote:

      Corey wrote:
      my man Mr. Cone (aka next pitching coach Cone) is right on the money with Hughes. Send him down to AAA and make him learn a change-up, it will speed up his fastball dramatically. Right now, if Hughes’ doesn’t have his top stuff, his cutter and fastball look similar and are about the same speed, this brings him back to the problem he had last year where he has only 2 pitches and hitters can sit on one of them. And, if he can’t throw his curve for a strike (like hi smost recent starts), then he has only 1 pitch,
      Geez, isn’t that what I said 10 days ago?
      http://waswatching.com/2009/05/09/may-9th-the-orioles/

      Steve Lombardi…… Next great Yankee pitching coach… Maybe Cone visits your site Steve….
      Only if a certain GM of ours did the same thing.. Perhaps a daily briefing like the President gets on terrorist threats should be on his agenda?.. No?… And before the Cashman faithfull’s attack.. Its only a joke!… But good call on your part Steve………

    22. MJ
      May 20th, 2009 | 2:08 pm

      Only if a certain GM of ours did the same thing..
      ——–
      Steve better hope Cashman doesn’t read this blog otherwise his season tickets would be revoked and, as a result, my season tickets would go kaput too…

    23. May 20th, 2009 | 2:25 pm

      MJ – Somebody at the Yankees reads it. I won’t say how I know this – because I don’t want to get into the details – but, I know for a verifiable fact that someone does read it.

    24. Sicilian Lou
      May 20th, 2009 | 2:51 pm

      Steve Lombardi wrote:

      MJ – Somebody at the Yankees reads it. I won’t say how I know this – because I don’t want to get into the details – but, I know for a verifiable fact that someone does read it.

      Well, we can conclude Cone does?.. LOL…..

    25. MJ
      May 20th, 2009 | 2:56 pm

      Steve Lombardi wrote:

      MJ – Somebody at the Yankees reads it. I won’t say how I know this – because I don’t want to get into the details – but, I know for a verifiable fact that someone does read it.

      I vaguely remember you saying something like that back in 2006 or 2007.

      In any event, I was only kidding about the season ticket revocation.

    26. Sicilian Lou
      May 20th, 2009 | 3:08 pm

      MJ wrote:

      Steve Lombardi wrote:
      MJ – Somebody at the Yankees reads it. I won’t say how I know this – because I don’t want to get into the details – but, I know for a verifiable fact that someone does read it.
      I vaguely remember you saying something like that back in 2006 or 2007.
      In any event, I was only kidding about the season ticket revocation.

      Way to back paddle MJ.. Hedge your bet!!.. LOL… If someone does read this from Yankee land and I have no doubt someone does….. And all though I am new to this board, the wisdom and logic that are posted here is nothing short of that of King Solomon.. We may not all agree, but how healthy would that be as Steve says… One of the best Yankee blogs I have ever come across period!!……

    27. May 20th, 2009 | 3:32 pm

      Thanks Lou

    28. MJ
      May 20th, 2009 | 4:05 pm

      Way to back paddle MJ.. Hedge your bet!!
      ———-
      ???

    29. Raf
      May 20th, 2009 | 4:28 pm

      MJ wrote:

      Way to back paddle MJ.. Hedge your bet!!
      ———-
      ???

      He was just jivin’ :)

    30. Corey
      May 20th, 2009 | 4:45 pm

      lol if someone @ the yankees does read this and wants to give me a job in their IT department, that’d be awesome =) e-mail me @ bronxbomber2k7@gmail.com (Hey, ya never know?)

    31. Sicilian Lou
      May 20th, 2009 | 6:50 pm

      In any event, I was only kidding about the season ticket revocation.

      ____

      MJ, I was merely suggesting you were taking back your comment in the event that someone in Yankeeland was considering revoking Steve’s season tickets.. Just joking with you..

    Leave a reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.