• May 21st vs. The Orioles

Posted by on May 22nd, 2009 · Comments (16)

Number Nine…Number Nine…Number Nine…

I missed the start of this game. I had to work late and didn’t get home until 7:45 pm ET. And, I turned it on just before Robbie Cano homered in the second.

You can imagine my shock when the top of the third started and I saw Alfredo Aceves on the mound and not Joba Chamberlain. My initial thought was: “Wow. I wonder if Joba nailed the Mocking Bird with a pitch and got ejected?” And, then, the fellas in the YES booth soon gave an update on what really happened to Chamberlain…and I was up to speed.

Since you can never believe what the Yankees say, and they’re saying that they are “hopeful” that Joba makes his next start, I think we have to wait and see on this one…in terms of how bad it is…

O.K., as I said yesterday, the O’s stink. Now, comes the real test – the Phillies. It will be very interesting to see how the Yankees do in their next three games. It will tell us if this team is for real, or, if the last seven games were just a gift from playing the Twins in New York and playing the Orioles, period.

Comments on May 21st vs. The Orioles

1. clintfsu813
      May 22nd, 2009 | 8:29 am

Very impressed with Aceves tonight. I see him as a possible 5th starter one day. Also, hope Cano keeps it up. When that guy hits, it seems to be contagious.

2. MJ
      May 22nd, 2009 | 8:56 am

———–
      Considering bad teams beat good ones all the time in baseball, I don’t think you should have the attitude that the Yanks winning 7 in a row against the Twins and O’s is somehow less than impressive. I still don’t understand why you discount wins.

The Yanks *should* be able to take 2 of 3 from Philly, given the fact that the pitching matchups favor the home team. However, if they don’t win the series, that doesn’t mean anything bad about the Yanks. We’re right back in the thick of things (and then some) and we should all be ecstatic about that.

3. May 22nd, 2009 | 9:02 am

Hey, what can I say? I still remember how the Yankees played against the Red Sox.

So, for me, I see a Yankees team who got beat, badly, every way possible by the Sox – five times. And, a Yankees team who just snuck by the Twins for four games. And, a Yankees team who killed a sucky team like the O’s.

Therefore, at this time, the Yankees have proven, to me, that they can beat crappy teams, hold their own against good teams, and not beat pennant contending teams.

That’s why I want to see them play the Phillies – to see if the Boston thing was a fluke and if they can hold their own against very good teams…

that’s all.

4. clintfsu813
      May 22nd, 2009 | 9:16 am

I agree that this weekend is a test..just like the Jays recent sweep by Boston was a test….that they failed.

5. Pat F
      May 22nd, 2009 | 9:34 am

to say the phillies series is a test is one thing. to say that if that series goes poorly that the last 7 games were a gift is reasoning that is just shy of insanity. the yankees could get swept vs. philly and play .600 baseball against “good” teams the rest of the way despite the poor start vs. boston and philly. so really, even this weekend’s “test” only tells you so much. but that’s not the point. the ponit is that this series – 3 wins, 2 wins, 1 win, no wins – relates in no way to the last 2 weeks of good, winning baseball that the yankees have played. there are wins and there are losses, especially in a sport where bad teams can knock good teams around all the time (remember tampa 3 years ago against us?), unlike a sport like football where this best team is going to win a great majority of the time.

6. MJ
      May 22nd, 2009 | 9:50 am

@ Pat F:
      Couldn’t agree more, Pat.

7. Corey
      May 22nd, 2009 | 10:02 am

i find it very strange to watch A-Rod not run out ground balls as he has been doin lately

8. clintfsu813
      May 22nd, 2009 | 10:45 am

He doesnt get paid to run..just to hit HR’s! lol

9. Sicilian Lou
      May 22nd, 2009 | 10:56 am

Pat F wrote:

to say the phillies series is a test is one thing. to say that if that series goes poorly that the last 7 games were a gift is reasoning that is just shy of insanity. the yankees could get swept vs. philly and play .600 baseball against “good” teams the rest of the way despite the poor start vs. Boston and philly. so really, even this weekend’s “test” only tells you so much. but that’s not the point. the ponit is that this series – 3 wins, 2 wins, 1 win, no wins – relates in no way to the last 2 weeks of good, winning baseball that the yankees have played. there are wins and there are losses, especially in a sport where bad teams can knock good teams around all the time (remember tampa 3 years ago against us?), unlike a sport like football where this best team is going to win a great majority of the time.

Lets play devil’s advocate for a moment and say the Phillies sweep the series.. And lets say they beat us in a very convincing manner (Heaven forbid).. Will we Yankee fans feel good about this teams latest performance and continue to have doubts in the back of our mind and say we are built to beat the weaker teams struggle against the average teams and well have our butts handed to us by the top contending teams?… Philly is no Boston by any measure, they have weak starting pitching outside of Coles and a good bullpen that seems to be back on track a potent offense that is down right scary…. And like most short series, good pitching will shut down good hitting.. I for one will look past the Boston series if we beat up on the world champs this weekend.. but till then, winning 9 in a row is nice but I want further proof this isn’t the laws of diminishing return.

10. Corey
      May 22nd, 2009 | 10:58 am

@ clintfsu813:
      true, but A-Rod has always prided himself on the fact that he run out every ball no matter what, and I always appreciated that as it encouraged others on the team to do so…it really just makes me wonder if he should be back yet

11. G.I. Joey
      May 22nd, 2009 | 11:04 am

Corey wrote:

@ clintfsu813:

It def. looks like he is being extra cautious. He’s probably only slid on the hip a couple of times during a game since his retrun.

12. #15
      May 22nd, 2009 | 12:03 pm

Nine straight is nine straight. Doesn’t happen often in baseball, even for great teams. The game just doesn’t lend itself to streaks like that. Take ‘em when you can get ‘em. The reality is that for this stretch, the Yankee lineup has performed like we all know it can, the bigger question is why similar teams in the past several years never seemed to get the bats in sync from time to time. It’s not that everyone is playing off the charts. Melky is probably playing over his head. Damon and Tex are hot, but not unsustainable compared to long term performance. Jeter’s just okay, A-Rod is scuffling some, Matsui is weak, etc…. It’s just that they are stringing ‘em together consistently and dropping 3, 4 and 5 runs on the board in an inning once in a while. We’d be an animal right now with Jorge’s SWH stick in there.

Anybody think Cervelli is going to replace Molina? Little more stick, runs a bit, can lay down a freaking bunt when we need it. Adequate arm et al.

13. Corey
      May 22nd, 2009 | 12:10 pm

Cervelli’s stick is playing over his head, hes just gettin loads of fastballs cause pitchers figure hes a AA hitter (which he is)

14. Evan3457
      May 22nd, 2009 | 2:10 pm

Of course, Cervelli’s stick doesn’t have to be very far over his head to match Molina’s stick, as long as we’re sizing up sticks here.

15. Corey
      May 22nd, 2009 | 2:14 pm

well he was sayin cervelli has a little more stick than molina, and i don’t think that’s accurate. Neither of them have a stick.

16. #15
      May 22nd, 2009 | 4:52 pm

I agree there is limited stick in Cervelli. He might be a hair better than Molina but they are close. Not worth arguing. My point is adding everything up, I’d rather have the young guy backing up Jorge than the older guy. I don’t think either of them is an everyday stud catcher. But, I like a 9 hitter that can bunt and C should be less prone to injury. Molina probably calls a much better game right now based on experience, but he’s also more expensive. I do respect his arm. As steroids fade away, speed is reasserting itself as a valuable tool. A strong defensive catcher will be even more prized. But(t), after last year, remember all the BS in the off season about how Molina got himself in shape to catch more games if Jorge struggled to come back? His ass still blocks out the buffet table from where I’m sitting. Throughout his career, he never put in the hard work needed to reach his potential. Molina – ’09 and gone in my book. Bring C back in Sept. Give the kid a shot.