• May 25th @ The Rangers

Posted by on May 25th, 2009 · Comments (20)

Against all odds, Phil Hughes, in this contest, pitched the best game in his major league career, according to Game Score. See below for a list of every start Hughes has made for the Yankees, to date – including today, ranked by Game Score (G Sc):

Date	  Opp	Pit	G Sc
    08/31/07   TBD	94	31
    04/18/08  @BAL	97	29
    08/04/07   KCR	92	29
    04/29/08   DET	82	20
    04/13/08  @BOS	65	18
    05/09/09  @BAL	53	 5

Interesting: The best six games of Hughes’ big league career have all come on the road. And, eight of his ten best games have been as a visiting player. Maybe Phil doesn’t like the Bronx? My theory: Lefty-batters have a BA/OBA/SLG line of .326/.406/.562 in (102 PA) against Hughes at Yankee Stadium – in his career to date. To put it simply, lefties bat like Babe Ruth against Phil in New York…

Back to today’s success…it seems like aggressively swinging teams are no match for Hughes – if you believe that teams like the Rangers, Tigers, Blue Jays, Rays, and Indians of recent note are aggressively swinging teams…

Me? Dunno. I would have to look into that some more before I signed off on that one. What do you think?

Comments on May 25th @ The Rangers

1. yagottagotomo1
      May 25th, 2009 | 5:52 pm

The Rangers, Indians, and Tigers, I think the label will fit. Not sure about the other two, especially the Jays. I think the issue is that Phil does not trust his stuff when behind in the count. It really seems like a confidence issue with him when he struggles.

2. Evan3457
      May 25th, 2009 | 6:43 pm

OK, that’s two good starts, two bad ones and two mediocre ones.

Sounds like a young #5 starter to me. Hopefully, he’ll gain confidence at the big league level, and learn to trust his stuff when behind in the count…and after he gives up a long ball.

3. Evan3457
      May 25th, 2009 | 6:45 pm

Oh; I’d still send him back to AAA when Wang is ready, just to work on commanding his offspeed stuff, for about 8-10 starts until the break, and bring him back to pitch in long relief to get ready for next season when Andy, presumably, retires.
      ==================
      One last thing, Phil turns 23…about a month from now.

4. yagottagotomo1
      May 25th, 2009 | 7:24 pm

Phil’s ERA without the awful Baltimore start is 2.89. Seeing as we are in the business of discounting relevant performances to make a point, I thought I might share that little tidbit.

5. OnceIWasAYankeeFan
      May 25th, 2009 | 7:30 pm

Hughes pitched great but anyone else think Girardi should have let him try to complete his first major league shutout? Give the kid a real confidence boost on a day that he was dealing. At minimum I would have let him get the complete game under his belt, and he had a good chance to finish off the shutout. I thought he had every reason to act a little miffed when Girardi stuck his hand out. Finishing off a game like that can pay dividends in the future, imho.

6. yagottagotomo1
      May 25th, 2009 | 7:39 pm

OnceIWasAYankeeFan wrote:

I would have liked it, but I get the decision. Phil is injury prone, so I understand the care. I really think that it may have been more about Aceves, in that he had not worked in three days, and the Yankees said today that they want to start using him in back to back days. I would rather a guy who hasn’t pitched in a while get his work in a blowout than a close game.

7. OnceIWasAYankeeFan
      May 25th, 2009 | 7:50 pm

You shouldn’t coddle him though, and at 102 pitches, this isn’t some extraordinary effort. I didn’t understand Aceves coming in when Girardi said he’ll be part of the bridge to Mo, but if he hadn’t pitched in that many days I guess it makes some sense. Could have used Veras though and just had Aceves throw a bullpen. You wouldn’t see Okajima or Ramirez finishing off an 11-0 game!

8. ken
      May 25th, 2009 | 8:04 pm

- – - – - – – - – - – -

Sorry, Steve, no ‘odds’ apply to him yet. He’s too young and still establishing whatever turns out to be his ‘game’.

9. May 25th, 2009 | 9:38 pm

@ OnceIWasAYankeeFan:

Maybe Girardi’s holding some late-game bullpen auditions? I realize they were up by 11 and it wasn’t the same kind of pressure, but to uphold a shutout and get the last 3 outs is sort of like nailing down a save in a close game.

10. May 25th, 2009 | 9:41 pm

yagottagotomo1 wrote:

Nice try. But, that’s totally misleading.

Prior to today’s game, here’s Hughes OPS allowed by opponent this season:

Baltimore Orioles 1.330
      Boston Red Sox 1.222
      Detroit Tigers .317
      Minnesota Twins 1.101

He’s sucked against everyone this seasons sans the Tigers and now the Rangers.

And, those are ALL the numbers – and not discounting any.

11. yagottagotomo1
      May 25th, 2009 | 10:08 pm

@ Steve Lombardi:
      I dont think he sucked against Baltimore the last time out. I think he has had two really good starts, a few mediocre starts, and one awful start. He has been an adequate 5th starter. He has kept them in every game outside of the Baltimore game. For now, good enough for me.

12. Evan3457
      May 25th, 2009 | 10:37 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

yagottagotomo1 wrote:
      Nice try. But, that’s totally misleading.
      Prior to today’s game, here’s Hughes OPS allowed by opponent this season:
      Baltimore Orioles 1.330
      Boston Red Sox 1.222
      Detroit Tigers .317
      Minnesota Twins 1.101
      He’s sucked against everyone this seasons sans the Tigers and now the Rangers.
      And, those are ALL the numbers – and not discounting any.

Those aren’t really ALL the numbers, Steve. Here are a couple of interesting ones:

I) 6 HR allowed in 29 IP, 5 of them in 14 home innings. Let’s be fair. If you’re going to call the new Stadium a launching pad, and it is, then you have to make some small adjustment for home run rates, and the home run rates clearly skew the OPS numbers, especially as 4 of them are solo HR.

2) The Yanks are 4-2 in his 6 starts. That’s not that bad, is it?

13. clintfsu813
      May 26th, 2009 | 9:47 am

I’ll take 4-2 any day. Keep us in the game Phil…let the hitters do the rest!

14. Pat F
      May 26th, 2009 | 10:24 am

“Nice try. But, that’s totally misleading.”

much like a lot/most of the numbers you offer to support your arguments, which was kind of yagotta’s point if i am reading correctly. even here, we all know ops against is not the only statistic by which to measure a pitcher’s performance. buy since it is favorable to your argument, you use it and only it to say he’s sucked, as if it’s some air-tight reasoning. laughable.

15. G.I. Joey
      May 26th, 2009 | 11:12 am

Although I’ve been known to sip on Haterade from time to time and I am by no means a Hughes fan, I think he might be turning the corner. I can’t discount what he did yesterday facing that fierce lineup in a hitting friendly park. I only wish that Girardi would have let him finish the game and allow him to experience that feeling of supreme confidence that would naturally follow after a complete game shutout.

16. YankCrank
      May 26th, 2009 | 11:44 am

—–

I’m glad you’re finding some faith in Phil, but let’s be entirely honest here. Phil is 22, a very young starter pitching in the AL East. We need to be careful with what we expect and what we take from each start. He’s going to have good starts, he’s going to have bad starts and he’ll have a lot of mediocre starts…that’s what kids do while they’re developing. As excited as you are with this start, don’t expect him to repeat it next time out.

Let’s just be happy we’re getting these starts from Phil instead of fill-in starts from Sir Sidney Ponson.

17. Sicilian Lou
      May 26th, 2009 | 11:57 am

Phil Hughes and Melky for Grady Sizemore…. Time is right to make this trade..

18. Evan3457
      May 26th, 2009 | 12:06 pm

Hmmm…You got something compromising on Mark Shapiro, Lou?

19. Sicilian Lou
      May 26th, 2009 | 12:24 pm

LoL.. No Evan.. but it could work.. No?…. Trade when the value is high and right now, how much higher can we get with these two?..

20. Sicilian Lou
      May 26th, 2009 | 12:26 pm

Evan.. One last note.. Sizemore is about to break out of this slump.. Nice to see him do it in pinstripes!!..