• Week 7 – 2009

Posted by on May 25th, 2009 · Comments (15)

What stands out the most in my mind, this past week, is that the Yankees went 5-2…however, if not for a Brad Lidge meltdown on Saturday, it would have been a 4-3 mark…with three of those four wins coming against a weak Baltimore Orioles team. It just seems like the Yankees are feasting off bad teams this season and having issues with the “better” teams (when they play them).

In fact, overall this season, through May 24th, the Yankees are 18-9 when playing a team with a .500 record or less and the Yankees are 7-10 when playing a team with a record better than .500 (to date this season).

Further, through May 24th, the Yankees are 10-5 when playing a team with a .450 record or less and the Yankees are 5-9 when playing a team with a record better than .550 (to date this season).

These numbers support the theory that the Yankees are feasting off bad teams this season and having issues with the “better” teams, no?

Comments on Week 7 – 2009

1. Evan3457
      May 25th, 2009 | 6:35 pm

Actually, the “issue” is with the Red Sox…

The Yankees team, so far, is doing what a good team is supposed to do: play about .500 vs. good teams, and clean up on bad ones.

Psst….don’t tell anyone…but right now, the AL Wild Card team is…

…the New York Yankees.

2. yagottagotomo1
      May 25th, 2009 | 6:36 pm

You just wont give it up. Just so we keep our count up, that’s 4 out of 7 week recaps where you discount wins.

3. yagottagotomo1
      May 25th, 2009 | 7:16 pm

And what does it tell you about Boston that they are 15-12 against the .500 and under teams and 11-6 and good teams? That they can’t do much more than eke by the bad teams, but are pretty solid against good teams? Does that make sense to you? Or is this an early season thing that clearly will have a correction? Go look at the recent history of Yankees-Red SOx to see how the season series usually goes. You may find it interesting.

4. May 25th, 2009 | 7:17 pm

In the standings, all wins are created equal – I never said that they were not…as much as some like to claim I have said that…

More so, my point here…as it was in the recent past on this matter…is that there are win totals that don’t always reflect the true ability of the team that own them…and, when October comes, and you have to face good teams, you get flushed out.

Geez, how many times to I have to type that before some people will understand that’s what I am saying…and not that some wins don’t count?

5. handtius
      May 25th, 2009 | 7:21 pm

@ yagottagotomo1:

I’m tired of this too Steve. A win is a win. We could have easily won 2 of 3 from the Phils if some things when differently. We did have 9 hits against Hamels. And I guess this hard hitting team, the Rangers (that are in 1st place), that you thought were going to eat Phil alive, are just nobodies. Even if they regress, they have one of the best hitting team and one of the best pitching teams at the moment (not saying that will last).

Why can’t you give this team credit or have some faith in you team? Positive thoughts go a long way. It will help you live longer…and easier.

6. yagottagotomo1
      May 25th, 2009 | 7:35 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

Except that you base your ideas about what the wins and losses mean on arbitrary matters- the game against Lidge doesn’t tell you anything apparently, because Lidge stinks, but the next game tells you plenty, even though the Yankees with a healthy bullpen do not have Tomko in that game. You pick and choose the things that support the point you want to make, and ignore everything else. Case in point is your article two days ago where you went through this Texas series, looked at one side of the coin, and predicted that the team would get swept. You never thought to look at who was pitching for Texas, or think that this Yankees offense might win them a game. You pick out only the negative and mostly ignore the positive.

7. May 25th, 2009 | 9:36 pm

Sorry, I didn’t know that I was supposed to only do things the way you wanted me to….

8. yagottagotomo1
      May 25th, 2009 | 9:59 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

Who said that? You just keep repeating the same stuff over and over. You get so defensive any time someone questions your logic. I said you pick mostly the negative and ignore most of the positive. You can do whatever you want, but I can disagree and say that I find your repeated driving home of the same flawed point tiring.

9. May 25th, 2009 | 10:10 pm

yagottagotomo1 wrote:

You just keep repeating the same stuff over and over.

Don’t read it, if it’s that annoying.

10. May 25th, 2009 | 10:15 pm

yagottagotomo1 wrote:

You get so defensive any time someone questions your logic.

Wrong. I get annoyed when someone keeps telling me, over and over, again – like you’re doing with this topic – that there’s a right way and a wrong way to look at things…and that “your way” is the right way and “my way” is the wrong way.

Again, this is not “2+2=4″ where I’m saying “2+2=67″ and then you’re saying “my logic” is flawed. If you were doing that, I would get it.

This is me having an “opinion” and you not respecting my right to have this opinion because it differs from yours. And, it’s getting old. Therefore, I’m done with this exercise that you insist on pushing every time I share my opinion.

11. yagottagotomo1
      May 25th, 2009 | 10:19 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

yagottagotomo1 wrote:

You just keep repeating the same stuff over and over.

Don’t read it, if it’s that annoying.

Why so defensive again? I think you write some good stuff, which is why I read. There are just a few….foibles that occasionally bother me. You never, ever bend when a reader criticizes.

12. May 25th, 2009 | 10:21 pm

handtius wrote:

Positive thoughts go a long way. It will help you live longer…and easier.

I’m familiar with Lloyd Braun’s “Serenity Now” theory.

Just never been a big fan of wearing blinders or sticking my head in the sand…

;-)

13. handtius
      May 25th, 2009 | 10:43 pm

Being positive has nothing to do with putting your head in the sand or wearing blinder. It has to do with balancing your thoughts as to not focus on all the negatives and allow them to cloud your judgment. Of course it can go both ways. What’s a better thought: I could be wealthy or I will always be poor. Do you think fans of bad teams always focus on the losing or do they try to look for silver linings in up and coming player or the good players on there teams. Even if the Yankees don’t do so well, like last year, I still enjoyed the younger players giving it there all and seeing them progress.

May 26th, 2009 | 12:27 am

Steve Lombardi wrote:

2008 Yanks
      9-9 vs the Red Sox, 11-7 vs the Rays, 5-2 vs the White Sox, 3-7 vs the Angels, missed the 2008 playoffs

2007 Yanks
      6-0 vs Cleveland, lost 3-1 to the Indians in the playoffs

2006 Yanks
      5-3 vs Detroit, lost 1-3 to the Tigers in the playoffs

2005 Yanks
      4-6 vs LAAA, lost 2-3 to the Angels in the playoffs

2004 Yanks
      4-2 vs Minnesota, defeated Twins 3-1 in the playoffs. 8-11 against Boston, lost 3-4 to the Red Sox in the playoffs.

:D

15. handtius
      May 26th, 2009 | 12:38 am

@ Raf:

So Raf, what your trying to say is that it doesn’t really matter how you do against the good teams in the regular season? Well, I don’t know. hat evidence only goes back to 2004. small sample size. I thought if you beat a team up in the regular season, you were a lock against them in the post season. No? Damn, my logic must be flawed.