• WasWatching.com Water Cooler Talk 5/31/09

Posted by on May 31st, 2009 · Comments (11)

Click here for more information about this entry.

Comments on WasWatching.com Water Cooler Talk 5/31/09

1. ken
      May 31st, 2009 | 12:48 pm

Why, oh why is Veras on the 25 man roster???? This guy makes Farnsworth look like Rivera. It takes a special talent to make a 7 run lead in the 9th seem vulnerable.

2. Jeet
      May 31st, 2009 | 1:50 pm

good one ken

3. MJ
      May 31st, 2009 | 3:44 pm

I can’t tell you how much it chaps my ass to see Pavano pitching so well. I know that not everything that happened here in NY was his fault — there was a lot of bad luck involved — but I’ve irrationally chosen to hate his guts for all eternity and I was hoping that the Yanks would blow him out in the first inning.

No matter what happens today, I still feel like we somehow lost a part of the game by not beating the crap out of American Idle.

4. JeremyM
      May 31st, 2009 | 4:10 pm

I’m with you there MJ, I feel the same way about the guy.

Terrible, terrible managing by Girardi. So much for him being some kind of “master strategist.” How do you not send Gardner when Posada is clearly a huge DP risk, and why do you pull Wang, who looks to be coming along nicely (thank goodness, I truly thought he was done). Just awful managing in that 9th inning.

5. Tresh Fan
      May 31st, 2009 | 4:29 pm

I harbor no ill wiil towards Pavano. It’s not like he deliberately screwed over the Yankees. Still, it would have been nice to have gotten to him before the 8th.

6. ken
      May 31st, 2009 | 4:40 pm

Worst decision by Girardi in this game was not letting Gardner try to steal in top 9th. Should have avoided possibility of inning-ending DP.

He may have been saving Wang to start next Hughes slot. If not then Wang has to stay in. Coke has to throw strikes. No excuse to walk that guy in the 9th.

OTOH, you can’t win ‘em all. If we win tomorrow then 3 of 4 in a visitor’s park is just fine.

7. Tresh Fan
      May 31st, 2009 | 4:58 pm

@ ken:
      DYK the Yankees and Rangers are the only AL teams with winning records on the road?

8. yagottagotomo1
      May 31st, 2009 | 5:02 pm

JeremyM wrote:

Disagree about the steal, agree on pulling Wang/not going to Mo. If you steal there and get caught, you no longer can score on an out. I wonder what the rate of DP’s for Jorge is with a runner on first and how it compares to Gardner’s CS rate. I bet they are similar. I personally would have sent him (and apparently the steal sign was on and Gardy just diid not go, so its not on Joe anyhow), but I dont think that is an awful decision. Pitching wise, I would have stayed with CMW or gone to Mo.

9. ken
      May 31st, 2009 | 5:08 pm

Girardi said post game that Gardner missed steal sign.

10. FloridaYankee
      May 31st, 2009 | 5:19 pm

ken wrote:

Think worst decision came in 1st inning. If Damon bunts, Jeter scores

11. JeremyM
      May 31st, 2009 | 8:48 pm

Well, I apologize to Girardi, and Gardner proves to be overrated once again. I know he’s just a “kid” but his game is his speed, period, and if you’re missing signs, well, you’re not doing your job.