• June 1st @ The Indians

Posted by on June 1st, 2009 · Comments (10)

This is now 18 games in a row without an error for the Yankees – a new big league record. Not sure if that’s a meaningful record, but, since the Red Sox had the previous mark, it’s a nice one to have – and to take-away from Boston.

Man…when Ben Francisco hit that ball against Mariano Rivera in the 9th, my heart stopped for a minute. That was too close. By the way, every time I see Ben Francisco, and I mean every time, I think of everyone’s favorite slag, Detective Samuel ‘George’ Francisco.

O.K., staying on Indians players for a minute more – before moving to the important stuff – I cannot believe that Greg Aquino (who pitched in this game) is 31-years old. Is it just me, or, does that guy look like he’s twelve? In any event, I like his last name – because it reminds me of one of my all-time favorite baseball names: Arquimedez Pozo. Moving on…

Yanks had 11 walks in this one. When was the last time they had that many in a 9-inning game? Been a while…with August 19, 2006 being the last time (when Josh Beckett went ball four crazy).

The star of this game, to me, was Joba Chamberlain. And, here’s the deal: This game is another feather in the cap of my theory from last Thursday. When Joba pitches on 5 days rest, like today, he’s a super-stud. And, when he has 4 days or 6+days rest, not so much. Ladies and Gents, a trend is forming…

I do owe Chamberlain an apology. While watching the game, just as Victor Martinez was batting in the fourth, I thought to myself “Hey, Joba hasn’t allowed a hit so far. How cool would it be, for the ‘Move him to the pen debate,’ if he pitches a no-hitter today?” – and, then, boom! Martinez goes big fly. Sorry, Joba. My bad there.

That was some play by Chamberlain in the next inning – diving to snare that pop-bunt and turning it into a double play. You don’t see much better than that one. And, boy, I wish they had a field-microphone near CC Sabathia and Andy Pettitte after that – to hear what they were saying, and cracking-up, about Joba’s dive.

Now the fun starts: Texas for three, Tampa for four, Boston for three on the road, and then the Mets for three games. That’s 13 straight days of baseball against teams that are playing well and/or who give the Yankees a good fight.

What’s reasonable to expect from this test, 8-5? More? Less? And, what will the Yankees actually do? Should be a fun two weeks in Yankeeland.

Comments on June 1st @ The Indians

1. MJ
      June 1st, 2009 | 10:57 pm

I wouldn’t yet consider it a trend since, after all, this is a person that has less than 30 MLB starts under his belt. He’s in development, just like Hughes, and that means that his performances are variable and unpredictable. I know you think you’re onto something — and I’m not saying you’re not — but you do have to take a grain of salt into your theory to allow for the fact that, because he’s so good, we forget how green Joba is.

2. Evan3457
      June 1st, 2009 | 11:01 pm

2 big things about Joba’s start:

#2) Throwing 97 (Gameday) in the 8th inning.

#1) After the Yanks blew the bases loaded, no out rally in the 6th, John Flaherty says: “big momentum shift”. I thought so, too.

I wondered how Joba would handle it. Answer: 9-pitch 1-2-3 inning vs. the top of the Indians’ order: Cabrera, Francisco and Victor Martinez, who had belted two shots of Joba already.

Ladies and Gents, that’s what an Ace Starter does.

3. yanksofny
      June 1st, 2009 | 11:12 pm

long time reader, rare poster

where is the apology for nick swisher for putting the yanks ahead? I’m kidding ;)

A well played series for the yanks; let’s hope they keep it up over the next home stand

4. June 1st, 2009 | 11:33 pm

@ steve lombardi:How cool would it be, for the ‘Move him to the pen debate,’ if he pitches a no-hitter today?” – and, then, boom! Martinez goes big fly. Sorry, Joba. My bad there.

Yes, the no-hitter did wonders for the Dave Righetti to the ‘pen debate ;-)

5. straylightrise
      June 2nd, 2009 | 12:28 am

Hey steve – think positive – be happy – baseball is easier this way :-D

Very happy by the result today – yea we’re feasting on a slightly inferior opponent but every win is vital. We all know that. So get these “easy” wins and pick up as many hards wins as possible. May isn’t when championships are made but it helps… all-star break is coming!

also

Swisher is a nice dude – some nights he’s good some nights he’s not – is he better than Karim Garcia? yes. always. Gimme Swisher over anyone of those pathetic OFs we had out there from like 2003-present…

Though I do miss Abreu for being a OBP machine but Swish isn’t that bad…

6. Pat F
      June 2nd, 2009 | 12:59 am

i’d sign for 7-6 just to make sure disaster was avoided. but obviously 8-5 against these 4 teams, 13 straight, no off days, would be outstanding. really just want to make sure we don’t give back any of the great work we’ve done these last three weeks, so tempered expectations. crazy to look at it and think about what a big difference one game (that could be decided by one break) would have over this stretch, the difference between 8-5 and 7-6. like i said, i’ll take either.

evan – love that analysis regarding joba. that 1-2-3 inning after the bases loaded blunder was THE GAME. that type of stuff doesn’t show up in box scores. but the fact that he got the back in the dugout in such a hurry, with the game still tied, was what allowed us to win this baseball game. excellent point outta you.

7. copela26
      June 2nd, 2009 | 1:05 am

Don’t know if we can call this a trend yet. The past couple of years hes been going back and forth between rotation and pen so much it might of messed up how he gets ready for a start.

I would even take 7-6 these next few games. 15-19 is impressive no matter who your playing since baseball is such a random game. It’s hard to keep that kind of a streak up. Not that Yankees have necessarily been bad teams, the twins led their division when they came to town, texas had the best record in the american league, and the phils of course won the world series last year.

Also good to see swisher making up for one of those those wins you claim he has been coasting us the yanks. how come no mention of that in your recap ;)

8. handtius
      June 2nd, 2009 | 2:27 am

9-4. I’m from the “optimistic posse”

9. YankCrank
      June 2nd, 2009 | 8:50 am

2 big things about Joba’s start:

#2) Throwing 97 (Gameday) in the 8th inning.
      ——

Uh oh Evan, did you say, “8th inning?”

He must be thrown back in the bullpen, his 8th inning performance was lights out last night!

10. Corey
      June 2nd, 2009 | 9:34 am

whenever i think ben fransisco i think of ricaroni,go figure
      =========
      =========
      i actually blame the guy from the mlb network, matt vescurgin he kept taunting the other hosts saying he was gonna curse it and they kept sayin don’t do it (without saying what they were talking about) then he said it and then not 2 seconds later victor got himyanksofny wrote:

he apology for nick swisher for putting the yanks ahead? I’m kidding ;)

A well pl

lol nick swisher doesn’t win games for the yanks, get hm off the team! ;) (i kid)