• June 2nd vs. The Rangers

Posted by on June 2nd, 2009 · Comments (16)

First, give credit to A.J. Burnett for his outing today. Early in the game, he could not get his breaking pitches over for strikes. And, in the third inning, it looked like he might cave in when the Rangers plated three runners after two outs. However, in the end, A.J. ended up giving the team a picture-perfect seven innings in this one. Two big thumbs up there for #34.

Now, on to the Padilla-Teixeira dust-up in the fourth inning. How cool was it to see how that whole thing was handled? From Tex breaking up the DP-attempt, the Yanks then knocking out Padilla, seeing Godzilla go big fly, busting the game open, and then Burnett buzzing Cruz in the fifth. While that was not as impressive as what we saw on May 19, 1998 (with Straw, Nelson and Lloyd making Benitez run for his life) it was a lot better than what we saw on July 24, 2004 (when A-Rod provided Varitek with a photo opportunity that RSN still gets a chubby over upon viewing).

Actually, we’re seeing a lot of life and unity in the Yankees dugout these days – and a game like today, with the Teixeira thing, will only add to it. Yes, I know, it’s easy to have fun when you’re playing at a clip where you’re winning 16 of 20 games – and you’re in first place. But, maybe, just maybe, these Yankees are gellin’ like a felon right now and this 2009 squad just might have that cohesiveness and attitude which could make this team one to be remembered as special…when it’s all said and done? You know, like the 2004 Red Sox, 1998 Yankees, 1991 Twins, 1988 Dodgers, 1986 Mets, 1984 Tigers, 1979 Pirates, 1975-76 Reds, 1968 Tigers and the like…

But, then again, maybe New York will go on to lose 7 of their next 12 games and then, all of a sudden, some warts and doubts begin to surface for this team?

Maybe it’s best to expect nothing and be prepared for anything…at least for a few more weeks…and just enjoy the moment of a win like today’s game?

Comments on June 2nd vs. The Rangers

1. Evan3457
      June 2nd, 2009 | 11:16 pm

Wow.

For you, that’s a positive rave. I wonder what the Yankees did to make you so bubbly and optimistic?

;-)

2. Pat F
      June 3rd, 2009 | 12:24 am

“Maybe it’s best to expect nothing and be prepared for anything…”

that’s pretty much baseball, so probably best to do that, not just for a few much weeks, but always.

3. MJ
      June 3rd, 2009 | 8:47 am

———
      Varitek is such a low-class douchebag, it’s not even funny. If you’re going to fight, you may as well fight like a man, not behind some protective gear. Take off your mask you freakin’ girl.

4. MJ
      June 3rd, 2009 | 8:51 am

Separately, I loved last night’s game. I have a huge man-crush on Mark Teixeira and I can’t thank the Yanks enough for bringing him into the fold.

Also, it was nice to see AJ Burnett protecting his hitters. Of all the pitchers on the Yanks, that’s the last guy the opposition wants to see up there in such a situation. He throws hard and he’s a bit wild…he’s our Ricky Vaughn.

5. Jake1
      June 3rd, 2009 | 8:56 am

winning cures all ills.

6. YankCrank
      June 3rd, 2009 | 9:02 am

——

Mark is the f’in man. He’s crushing the ball, playing an unbelievable first base and doesn’t take shit from anyone. I’m starting to love the guy myself…so maybe everyone can do me a favor and go vote 25 times for him at the All Star Game. I’d hate to see him have to sit behind d-bag Youk.

7. Tcarda4
      June 3rd, 2009 | 9:04 am

MJ

I agree, that varitek- Arod fight is always remembered like arod got snuffed out or something, meanwhile i will never forget how pathetic it was to see varitek throw a punch with a catchers mask on. I cant believe this isnt discussed more in national circles and only among yankee fans. That was one of the lowest, most pathetic moves ive ever seen and id say that if Posada did it, not just bc it was Varitek. When anyone ever talks about the classy varitek and how he is so respected i bring that up, he deserves no respect. When that video is replayed it should embarass boston fans, not yankee fans

8. UNC Tarheel
      June 3rd, 2009 | 9:43 am

And if they would show the whole Arod/Veritek fight, after the initial push in the face by Veritek, Arod grabbed him in a nice head-lock and proceeded to bash his head in.

9. MJ
      June 3rd, 2009 | 12:05 pm

@ YankCrank:
      That just motivated me to vote 25 times from one email address and another 25 times from another. Youk makes me sick.

10. Corey
      June 3rd, 2009 | 12:18 pm

anyone have an inkling on what padilla’s beef with tex was? i missed the end of the game in case they had mentioned it

11. #15
      June 3rd, 2009 | 12:41 pm

Steve,
      Double-up the dosage on your antidepressants. This is a moment to be happy, not to fret. Yankees are playing well for the better part of a month, they have the best record in the AL, they are in first place after an injury-riddled start, the free agents are performing, the starters are giving us good outings, the rookies are providing spark and capable subbing, the vets are solid. Next month will be next month and we’ll take it as it comes. But this team is starting to get that “look”.

I know I’m opening up a can of worms, but last night, both Tex and AJ became…. drum roll please…. Real Yankees. They showed the right stuff so far, but last night sealed the deal for me. Proud to have ‘em in pinstripes because they are playing like they are proud to wear pinstripes. Being in Texas, I only got the Ranger feed last night. I switched over to the postgame on YES afterwards. Would have loved to have heard Paulie’s take during the game.

12. MJ
      June 3rd, 2009 | 1:16 pm

———-
      Tex explained it like this:

Teixeira has a history with Padilla. The first time he faced him, on June 9, 2005, Teixeira was playing for Texas and Padilla for Philadelphia. Teixeira homered in his first two at-bats that day, and his third time up, Padilla hit him.

“Every time I’ve faced him since,” Teixeira said, “there seem to be balls near my head and near my body.”

Padilla joined the Rangers in a trade before the 2006 season, and Teixeira was his teammate for a year and a half. He said the pattern continued against other teams’ top hitters, and when Teixeira confronted him, Padilla said nothing.

(courtesy of New York Times / http://tinyurl.com/ovjk95)

13. Corey
      June 3rd, 2009 | 1:42 pm

padilla sounds like a slimeball

14. G.I. Joey
      June 3rd, 2009 | 2:05 pm

Corey wrote:

padilla sounds like a slimeball

Tex seems like a pretty level headed stand-up guy, so if he is calling you out, that means to me that you are pulling some scumbag shananagans.

15. June 23rd, 2009 | 10:38 pm

[...] soon. You know, just three weeks ago, the Yankees were on a run, winning 16 of 20, and their dugout looked full of life. But, since that time, the Yankees have lost 11 of 18 (and it should have been 13 of 18, if not for [...]

16. June 24th, 2009 | 8:47 am

[...] on June 2nd, after the Yankees won that day, I wrote: Actually, we’re seeing a lot of life and unity in the Yankees dugout these days – and a game [...]