• June 8th vs. The Rays

Posted by on June 8th, 2009 · Comments (19)

I hope they keep a spare pair of dry pants in the YES booth at Yankee Stadium for Michael Kay…because Phil Hughes pitched a scoreless 7th inning out of the Yankees bullpen tonight!

O.K., kidding aside…and while Michael dreams about running with “Two Phils & A Mo” as his new catch phrase…Hughes did look really good this evening – pumping it in there at 94 and touching 95 once (by my count). And, even Andy Petitte, in the YES post-game coverage, said that Hughes’ ball was darting like Rivera’s fastball. So, maybe, if the Yankees are willing to give this a try, Hughes can be an important part of the bridge to Mariano?

Related, it was somewhat interesting to see Jason Isringhausen pitch in this game for the Rays…considering he was part of “Generation K” – the three big starter prospects for the Mets years ago…and now Hughes (part of the Yankees “Generation Trey”) is pitching out of the pen, in the same game, for the Yankees.

All told, a solid outing from Pettitte tonight. Hughes, Coke and Mo handled the back-end…although who will close tomorrow, now, in Boston, if needed, is anyone’s guess…considering how many days Rivera has pitched in a row. And, of course, the Yankees homerun bats were clicking – including a blast from Nick “Don’t Call Me Mr. May!” Swisher…who has been as hot this month, so far, as he was cold last month.

Nice to win this one before the big series up at the Fens. Game One of that series, for me, is key. A.J. Burnett, for the Yanks, against Josh Beckett, for the Red Sox. Beckett almost had a no-hitter in his last start and has a 0.40 ERA in his last three outings. But, the Yankees usually don’t roll over for him. Burnett? Who knows…

With Wang primed to pitch poorly on Wednesday, the Yankees need to win on Tuesday to set up Sabathia to win the series for them on Thursday. And, right now, the Yankees need to take at least two of these three games – to show Boston that they are not the same team who has lost to them all five times that they have faced each other to date.

Comments on June 8th vs. The Rays

1. Evan3457
      June 9th, 2009 | 12:56 am

Well, I may be foolish, but while I think the Yanks will try to win all three, I don’t think they’ll take more than one. They might even get swept again.

The 1st game is Beckett vs.Burnett. Beckett is hot. Yanks don’t roll over for him, but when he’s at the top of his game, they can’t hit him, either. Burnett will have to be there and firing for 7-8 innings tomorrow, for the Yanks to have a chance.

The 2nd game is Wang against Wakefield. Wang is likely to get knocked around, especially in the middle innings. Yanks might hit Wakefield, and then it might become a battle of the bullpens.

The 3rd game is Sabathia vs. Penny. The Yanks theoretically have the upper hand in that game…except that the Sox had tonight off, and could bypass Penny, and go for the kill with Lester pitching on normal rest, and the Yanks have no end of trouble hitting Lester.

So, I think the Yanks will win 1 of 3, though I don’t know which one it will be. And the newspapers will write that the Yanks are still 2nd-class citizens, even though it will be a flat-footed tie for first after the game. And the “Debbie Downers” will still write that the Sox “own” the Yanks, just like they were writing that about the Rays…until the Yanks won the last two to even that season’s series at 4-4.

=========================================
      Re: The Yanks “Have To” win at least 2 of 3?

No, they don’t.

2. YankCrank
      June 9th, 2009 | 9:08 am

—–

If we’re going by necessity, i’ll disagree and say the Yankees “need” to not get swept and win at least one…to make sure we get out of there tied for first and not down two games.

Look, I get the whole “we need to show those Red Sox we mean business and win this series!” But a game up in first, we don’t “need” that…especially when we get to play them 10 more times after this series. We will have plenty more times to stick it to them, if we don’t win this series the season isn’t over, nor does it prove we can’t beat them. Again, we can reference the many instances in the last six years where we fell behind early to them in head-to-head games, then evened it out in the end.

Either way, we don’t “need” two games this week from the Sox.

3. Corey
      June 9th, 2009 | 9:31 am

francessa musta creamed his pants when he saw “use” in the pen last night. Even tho im not a hughes fan, I gotta admit, thats the 1st time i thought he fit his bill. good stuff

4. Tcarda4
      June 9th, 2009 | 9:31 am

anyone think hughes would close tonight if need be? hes had alot of rest and only threw abotu 10-15 pitches last night. Just a thought, he looked like he had closer stuff last night.

5. Tcarda4
      June 9th, 2009 | 9:33 am

and the yankees should look at every series like they need to win 2 of 3. This series is no different. Winning this series puts a little separation in between the two, plus it would make them 6-3 in the texas-TB-boston series’, with 3 games against the mets separating them from 6 vs Wash and FL. ooooohhh id love two out of 3

6. YankCrank
      June 9th, 2009 | 9:46 am

ooooohhh id love two out of 3
      ——-

Hell yeah! I’d actually love three out of three haha.

7. MJ
      June 9th, 2009 | 11:10 am

@ Corey:
      LOL!! “Use” cracked me up!!!

Phil “Use” could probably close although I don’t know about using him in back-to-back days in his first two times out of the bullpen.

8. G.I. Joey
      June 9th, 2009 | 11:26 am

We can probably get away with Ace closing things out, but I am curious to see if Phil can come out of the bullpen and duplicate what he did last night.

9. Evan3457
      June 9th, 2009 | 12:18 pm

Hughes will almost certainly get the night off.

I think.

10. redbug
      June 9th, 2009 | 12:32 pm

I hear it’s pouring in Boston and is supposed to keep on tonight. If so, Mo will have his night off.

11. G.I. Joey
      June 9th, 2009 | 1:06 pm

If the game gets rained out, do you think Joe will skip Wang and just go Burnett, CC? He seemed pretty set on Wang making his next scheduled start.

12. MJ
      June 9th, 2009 | 1:24 pm

G.I. Joey wrote:

Selfishly, I hope he keeps Wang on schedule so that I can get to see Sabathia in person on Friday night vs. the Mets.

13. Corey
      June 9th, 2009 | 1:37 pm

@ MJ:
      we were so close to havin joba on friday night MJ

14. MJ
      June 9th, 2009 | 1:49 pm

Corey wrote:

@ MJ:
      we were so close to havin joba on friday night MJ

According to the NY Times this morning, that’s who we’ll get (assuming no rainouts between now and then).

To be honest, I’ve been to two games so far this year at Yankee Stadium and both have been Joba games. The first was vs. Boston when he gave up 4 runs in the 1st and then struck out 12 in his next 4 2/3 innings (loss) and the second was vs. Baltimore when he got taken out by a line drive that hit his knee and Aceves pitched 3 1/3 scoreless innings in relief (win).

I love Joba but variety is the spice of life and I’d like to see another starter for a change.

15. Corey
      June 9th, 2009 | 1:53 pm

@ MJ:
      i understand that, I’ve only been to that Hughes’ outing in Baltimore this year so I’ll take anyone I feel has a good shot at winning …I’ve never seen Joba live, so thats what I want to happen (and i don’t like my bad luck coupled with AJ, Andy or Wang)

16. MJ
      June 9th, 2009 | 3:19 pm

Corey wrote:

@ MJ:

I hear ya, buddy. Don’t get me wrong, I would have no problem if we ended up with Joba. All I want is a win so ultimately I don’t care who’s up on the hill as long as it ends up with me walking to the subway humming Frank Sinatra (and not Liza Minelli).

17. June 9th, 2009 | 3:34 pm

MJ wrote:

as long as it ends up with me walking to the subway humming Frank Sinatra.

You do know what a hummer is, don’t you? ;-)

18. MJ
      June 9th, 2009 | 4:14 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

MJ wrote:
      as long as it ends up with me walking to the subway humming Frank Sinatra.
      You do know what a hummer is, don’t you?

Dude! Gross! LOL