• June 16th vs. The Nationals

Posted by on June 16th, 2009 · Comments (11)

Totally missed this one. I went with some buddies to go see Sparky Lyle’s Somerset Patriots host Gary Carter’s Long Island Ducks. We had nice seats – first row right next to the outfield side of the visitor’s dugout. Basically, it was like sitting on the end of the Ducks’ bench (since our row of seats started where the dugout ended).

Former Yankee Brad Halsey started for the Ducks. It was strange…during the playing of the National Anthem, Halsey was standing no more than ten feet in front of me. And, all I could think, at that time, was “Wow. Just about this time five years ago, I’m sitting in Yankee Stadium, watching Halsey start a game for the Yankees against the Red Sox – where Jeter would dive head-first into the stands after catching a pop-up – and, now, here he is, standing no more than an earshot of a whisper away from me getting ready to play a game in Bridgewater, New Jersey. You never know where life is going to take you, do you?”

For the record, Halsey looked pretty good – and I doubt that he’ll be in the Atlantic League for long, given that he’s still young, left-handed, can touch 90 MPH with his fastball, and change speeds.

In any event, at one point, one of my buddies came back from getting a beer and he told me that the Yanks were losing, 3-2, at the end of six. Hearing that, I thought “Oh, no, don’t tell me that they’re going to lose this game to the Nationals!”

As it turned out, the Patriots game ended about the same time as the Yankees game and I was able to listen to John Sterling’s post-game wrap-up and Suzyn Waldman’s clubhouse report on the drive home. Whew. It was nice to hear that the Yankees came back in this one. It will make sleeping tonight a lot easier. Sounds like Cano and Sabathia were the stars in this one. Actually, considering the state of the Yankees bullpen this year, to date, and the inconsistency of the Yankees starting pitchers, Sabathia just may be the team MVP – for the first half of the season – with all the innings that he gives you, each time out.

Now, that all said, considering that it was CC Sabathia starting this game for New York, and the Yankees were playing the Nationals, and Washington was on the road and starting some greenhorn from Curacao named Shairon Martis, there’s no need to hold a parade for New York over the fact that they took this contest. This was a game that they’re supposed to win. So, mark this one down as complete on the “To Do” list and move on to tomorrow…

Comments on June 16th vs. The Nationals

1. Evan3457
      June 17th, 2009 | 12:13 am

What???

On the “To Do” list, and not on the “This Win Doesn’t Really Count, Either, Because the Opposing Team Is a Pushover List”?

On the page known as Major League Baseball Regular Season Stadings, I mark it as win #37. 58 more to the playoffs, I’d guess.

=============================
      Moving on to tomorrow, I have a ticket, and I’ll be watching Washington’s best, John Lannan, take on the Yanks’ worst (so far), brand new papa Wang.

Nats have the edge in the matchup. Against that, Yanks should be over their post-Rivals Week hangover, and should do some hitting. But we’ll see; I take nothing for granted.

2. June 17th, 2009 | 8:01 am

Steve wrote:

Your not going to get much of an argument from me about the value CC has provided (though I do want to put in a good word for Tex on the other side of the ball; those two signings have worked out just fine, thus far), but the bullpen has been steadily improving over the course of the year. Which is good, considering how terrible it was when the season started. And since I’m too lazy to research the numbers myself, it’s a good thing Mike over at RAB did it for me:

Any opinion on that, Steve? Personally, I’m not entirely convinced the bullpen’s out of the woods yet. As always, we’re dealing with small sample sizes, and Hughes is unlikely to be a permanent fixture in the pen. But Bruney’s back, Robertson’s just fulfilling the potential he showed in the minors, guys like Melancon and Edwar are waiting in the wings in the minors if anyone falters, and the trend is undeniably good. So I’m feeling pretty positive about it overall.

3. MJ
      June 17th, 2009 | 8:06 am

Last night’s game was more of the same from the Yanks…they just can’t hit no-name pitchers they’ve never seen before. Do the Yanks even have advance scouts? Do their coaches even bother to look at scouting reports and prep their players for these types of opponents? This isn’t a rhetorical question, I’m honestly asking. From the looks of it, the answer would be “no” on both counts.

Separately, I’m glad CC was able to go deep into the game. He didn’t seem as sharp as in other starts — went into some deep counts and wasn’t able to put hitters away (only 2 K’s) — but sometimes you can tell more about the greatness of a pitcher on the days when he’s not at his best and he can still last into the 8th inning!

4. AndrewYF
      June 17th, 2009 | 8:42 am

“Do the Yanks even have advance scouts? Do their coaches even bother to look at scouting reports and prep their players for these types of opponents? This isn’t a rhetorical question, I’m honestly asking. From the looks of it, the answer would be “no” on both counts.”

I’m so tired of this myth. The Yankees routinely clobber ‘no-name’ pitchers, it’s just the 10 or so times a season that they don’t (and that’s probably overestimating) that sticks out in our minds.

Really? The Yankees don’t have advanced scouts? Give me a break.

5. MJ
      June 17th, 2009 | 9:33 am

——–
      Twice in three games and I can count a few others this season already (5/2, 5/23, 6/3). That’s five in 10 weeks of play.

It may be a myth but it sure seems like it happens pretty frequently to me.

6. Tresh Fan
      June 17th, 2009 | 10:10 am

The CW is that whenever a pitcher and batter face each other for the first time the advantage always goes to the pitcher, no matter how experienced the batter might be.

June 17th, 2009 | 11:56 am

Halsey started the spring with the Dodgers, and was released, eventually signing with the Ducks. He missed last year with surgery.

If John Halama can get numerous shots, I’m sure Halsey will get another chance somewhere.

8. MJ
      June 17th, 2009 | 1:52 pm

——–
      Indeed. Even still, when a pitcher has average to below-average stuff, it shouldn’t be the case.

9. butchie22
      June 17th, 2009 | 1:58 pm

Got free tickets to a Ducks game, might go if verything lets up/ have the time by the time the game comes. I live a few miles away from where the Ducks play and a lot of people go to the games.The Ducks have done a good job of bringing people to the ballpark. Admiral Halsey, what has become of you? Funny as to who eneded up in the Atlantic League. even John “Bigmouth Racist” Rocker got a chance with the Ducks. Carlos Baerga and Edgardo Alfonso,too. Kinda sad to see the somewhat mighty so crestfallen BUT hey they love playing so bloody much, a mere pittance in terms of payment is an irrelevance in the end.

10. June 17th, 2009 | 6:06 pm
    11. June 18th, 2009 | 7:15 am

Steve Lombardi wrote:

Ah, yes. I remember that post now. Sorry about that.

I would say that it is not all illusion. Part of the improvement surely is being used less though.