• Week 11 – 2009

Posted by on June 21st, 2009 · Comments (6)

What stands out the most in my mind, this past week, is that the Yankees went 2-4 and that came playing against the Nationals and the Marlins – two N.L. teams not playing .500 baseball on the season, to date. (And, it came close to being 1-5 on the week…since one of those wins, against the Nats, was a close call.) In two words: Not good.

Overall this season, through June 21st, the Yankees are 16-9 when playing a team with a .475 record or less and the Yankees are 11-15 when playing a team with a record better than .525 (to date this season). That “seven games over .500″ against teams with a .475 record or less is important, because, on the season, the Yankees are now 38-31, which is “seven games over .500.”

Take away that small feasting off bad teams this season and what you have left tells you how the Yankees fare when they have to play a team that’s decent or better. Basically, they lose as much as they win (22-22).

I don’t know about you, but, for me…I’m expecting a little bit more than that from a team with a payroll of $201,449,289.

Comments on Week 11 – 2009

June 21st, 2009 | 10:34 pm

Off the top of my head, Burnett, Rivera and Rodriguez are the “big ticket” items that are underperforming, everyone else is about where they should be.

2. Tom from Va Beach
      June 21st, 2009 | 10:42 pm

Steve, I hate to ask this here, but is there anyway that I can send an email directly to you? I have a question that I would greatly appreciate you answering for me.
      Thank you!

3. June 21st, 2009 | 11:01 pm
    4. JeremyM
      June 22nd, 2009 | 1:18 am

I have no numbers to back this up, but it seems that as goes Teixeira, so goes this team. They seem to have a tough time scoring runs if he’s not mashing in any given game. It’s time for someone else to pick up the slack and carry the team for a minute or two…..

5. MJ
      June 22nd, 2009 | 9:15 am

Raf wrote:

Yep, pretty much. In A-Rod’s case, I’m going to give him a pass since he’s still not 100% healthy. Rivera (age) and Burnett (career inconsistency) have less of my patience.

6. OnceIWasAYankeeFan
      June 22nd, 2009 | 10:23 am

The Yanks are due to go on a hot streak soon – its the nature of the season – but the problem is that the schedule isn’t especially conducive, on its face. Two more series in NL parks and no DH, Toronto, Seattle, which is somehow getting it done with a terrible offense, the Twins and Angels that are playing pretty good ball. As I mentioned before, I think the schedule for both the Sox and Yankees up to the Break is pretty favorable to Boston.

Anything can happen and probably will, but personally I think if the Yankees come out of the break the same 4 games back, they will have done well.