• Yanks Sign Gary Sanchez, Eye Others

    Posted by on June 21st, 2009 · Comments (22)

    George King follows up on his first Sanchez report with this (h/t to YanksBlog) -

    According to several connections in the Dominican Republic, the Yankees and catching prospect Gary Sanchez have agreed to a $2.5 million deal.

    Sanchez, 16, isn’t eligible to sign until July 2, but the Yankees’ dogged pursuit of the right-handed hitter has resulted in him wanting to sign with the club.

    According to a Yankees source, who didn’t confirm or deny the agreement or money, nothing is guaranteed until a contract is signed.

    “He is a big kid with a big arm,” a Latin American talent evaluator for an NL team said of the 6-foot-2, 210-pound Sanchez. “I would like to have him, but $2.5 million is a lot of money. He has a thick body. He is a real good hitter, but he doesn’t hit like Jesus Montero.”

    The Yankees gave Montero, a catcher from Venezuela, $1.6 million in 2006 and he has impressed with the bat in two-plus years in the organization. After hitting .356 with eight homers and 37 RBIs in 48 games for Single-A Tampa, the 19-year-old Montero (6-foot-4, 225 pounds) was promoted to Double-A Trenton, where he is batting .283 with three RBIs in 13 games.

    “Sanchez shows a lot of power in batting practice, but it doesn’t always transfer to games when the swing gets a little long,” the scout said. “He is an interesting guy.”

    The Yankees are also interested in shortstop Miguel Angel Sano.

    “If he is 16, I have never seen a 16-year-old with that type of body,” the scout said of the 6-foot-3 Sano.

    Two Cuban defectors, lefty Noel Arguelles and shortstop Jose Iglesias, are on the Yankees’ radar. The pair left the World Junior Championships last summer in Edmonton and were cleared to negotiate with big league clubs June 12.

    Two hundred and ten pounds, at sixteen, in a country known for its inadequacies with respect to proper nutrition? That either means he’s on something, or, will be a tub of goo by the time he’s here for a few years and hits all the fast food chains. That’s a red flag for me. Not so red that I wouldn’t sign him – but red enough that I would think twice about doing it for two-point-five mill.

    Comments on Yanks Sign Gary Sanchez, Eye Others

    1. yagottagotomo1
      June 21st, 2009 | 10:41 am

      Lol. I have a number of friends on nothing but weights who were 210 at 16. I’m not sure why you jump to fat or juiced.

    2. June 21st, 2009 | 11:05 am

      yagottagotomo1 wrote:

      Lol. I have a number of friends on nothing but weights who were 210 at 16. I’m not sure why you jump to fat or juiced.

      Were those friends born and raised in the Dominican Republic until they were 16 and 210?

    3. yagottagotomo1
      June 21st, 2009 | 11:08 am

      No they were not. So basically, because he is Dominican, you doubt his ability to have proper nutrition? Did you have the same doubts regarding Montero? You are making judgements based on zero evidence- purely speculation. How can you raise a red flag based on nothing?

    4. June 21st, 2009 | 11:28 am

      Watch any show about kids growing up in the D.R.

      The conditions there, in most places, are terrible.

    5. yagottagotomo1
      June 21st, 2009 | 11:35 am

      And therefore? That puts you in position to make a judgement on this particular player, who you have never seen? I’m not saying he isn’t fat and out of shape, just that we are not equipped to make that call.

    6. June 21st, 2009 | 11:51 am

      yagottagotomo1 – I’m “equipped” to have an opinion on anything that I want – after all, this blog, in part, is a sharing of my opinions on things related to Yankees baseball.

      And, you have no “evidence” whatsoever to prove that you are “equipped” to claim that I am “not equipped to make that call” – meaning have a opinion on this Yankees related matter.

      Are you a better person than me, and, as such, you have the right to tell me when I can have an opinion on something or not? Really?

      yagottagotomo1 – I’m going to say this, to you, directly, one last time: Stop reading this blog. You, more times than not, take exception to something that I have shared and often comment that I am improper for having that thought and sharing it.

      Again, if this blog, and what I write, are so upsetting to you, why do read it and visit it several times a day? Do you gain some gratification from the infliction of pain via reading it?

      Honestly, if I read an author, over and over again, and each time I thought that this person was wrong, or saying things that he had no right to say, after a while, I would stop reading it – and wasting my time. It’s called maintaining peace of mind.

      And, that’s what I’m going to do now with your comments here. I’m going to ignore them. You’re wasting my time, over and over again, with respect to me having to remind you that users here must provide respect to other values, opinions, and ideas even if they strongly disagree with those ideas.

    7. yagottagotomo1
      June 21st, 2009 | 12:04 pm

      Wow, Steve. Your reaction is not befitting of someone of your age. I disagreed with you, and you decided that you are ignoring my comments? Blogs are about debate. You conflate disagreement with disrespect, when there was none. I said you did not have the information to reach an informed conclusion. That is not disrespecting your opinion, it is disagreeing with your conclusion due to a lack of evidence. You will never ever budge from your opinion one inch, yet when somebody presents you with questions about your methods for forming those opinions, you say that they are disrespecting their opinion. And quite frankly, why I read your blog is none of your concern. I have requested on more than one occasion that you email me about our disagreements (because you have no contact info), and you have refused. I will continue to comment because I find the debate here interesting, even though it is often frustrating.

    8. yagottagotomo1
      June 21st, 2009 | 12:08 pm

      Just as an aside, you didn’t state an opinion, you stated a fact, which is what I took issue with.

      “That either means he’s on something, or, will be a tub of goo by the time he’s here for a few years and hits all the fast food chains.”

      How do you have enough info to state this as fact?

    9. June 21st, 2009 | 12:51 pm

      So I got bored and did some quick research on the nutrition of the children in the Dominican Republic…

      My question is: with the poverty that’s in the DR, why would you think a 16-year-old would GAIN a substantial amount of weight? Due to the lack of good food, would it be the exact opposite?

      My opinion lies on two things:

      1) that’s how some bodies grow… for example, boy wonder, now 17-year-old Bryce Harper, as I quote from the SI article about him: “still only 16, Harper stands 6’3″, weighs 205 pounds“. Harper: 16 years old, 6’3″, 205 pounds, Sanchez is the same age, 6’2″, 210 pounds… not that far off at all.

      2) A Danny-Almonte situation with a false birth certificate.

      If Bryce Harper can be 205 pounds and 16, why jump to conclusions to say that Sanchez is either taking stuff or suffering from malnutrition? However, maybe Harper IS taking stuff, not sure…

    10. June 21st, 2009 | 4:13 pm

      Thanks for the mention, Steve.

    11. Corey
      June 21st, 2009 | 5:07 pm
    12. yagottagotomo1
      June 21st, 2009 | 5:09 pm

      Thanks Corey.

    13. June 21st, 2009 | 7:57 pm

      brent.nycz – was Bryce Harper born and raised in the Dominican Republic until he was 16 and 205?

    14. June 21st, 2009 | 8:11 pm

      Steve Lombardi wrote:

      brent.nycz – was Bryce Harper born and raised in the Dominican Republic until he was 16 and 205?

      No, of course not, but is there any mention of how his family lives? If he comes from a poor or relatively wealthy family? Of the conditions he lives in?

      As I already mentioned, if he came from a relatively poor background, malnutrition would be from a lack, rather than an overabundance, of food. Wouldn’t a lack of food cause a player or person to lose weight, rather than gain it? If conditions are terrible, wouldn’t people eat less than what they need?

      In addition, I know people in the US who have piss-poor nutrition habits who have weighed more or even less, so yes, it can happen here too.

      I don’t think you or I can fully say that he’s out-of-shape or has terrible nutrition habits until, at least, we know more about his family. And of course, finding out how much junk food is in the DR as opposed to the US can help too.

    15. June 21st, 2009 | 8:36 pm

      brent.nycz – my point was, IN GENERAL, most 16-year old baseball playing kids in the D.R., are sticks. It’s VERY RARE to see someone, IN THE D.R,, who is THAT AGE and who weighs 210 POUNDS. Hence, my suggestion, THAT PERHAPS, he had some help adding the extra weight.

      And, if he didn’t have some enhancing to add the weight, then MAYBE he is just prone to be heavy, and, if so, then once he comes HERE, where there is cheap and fast food that WILL MAKE YOU FAT, that he could get fatter.

      That’s all.

      My opinion. Your mileage may vary.

    16. June 21st, 2009 | 8:38 pm

      brent.nycz wrote:

      And of course, finding out how much junk food is in the DR as opposed to the US can help too.

      In this country, there’s pretty much a McDonalds, Burger King, Taco Bell, KCF, Wendy’s, or some other fast food chain on every two-lane street corner. I doubt that exists in the D.R.

    17. diodio2
      June 21st, 2009 | 9:01 pm

      “Two hundred and ten pounds, at sixteen, in a country known for its inadequacies with respect to proper nutrition?”

      I’m from the Dominican Republic, and I have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about. Don’t be an ignorant. I got 200 lb when I was 13. It’s NOT South Africa Steve.

      “In this country, there’s pretty much a McDonalds, Burger King, Taco Bell, KCF, Wendy’s, or some other fast food chain on every two-lane street corner. I doubt that exists in the D.R.”

      All those restaurants have franchises on the D.R. You don’t even need that to get overweight here. The traditional home mades foods from here are just enough.

      I’m an 18 year old, 6’3 276 lb from the D.R. According to Steve I MUST BE JUICED!

    18. June 21st, 2009 | 9:47 pm

      Thanks diodio2. I was going by what I’ve seen in all the film footage of the kids in the D.R., playing baseball with milk cartons as gloves, a rock for a ball, and a tree limb for a bat…just dying for a chance to come here and play – so that they would not have to work in the sugar plantations. That’s all I’ve ever seen of kids playing ball in the D.R. Obviously, you would know more about it than, me. So, I yield to your expertise on the matter.

    19. Raf
      June 21st, 2009 | 10:17 pm

      Steve Lombardi wrote:

      brent.nycz wrote:
      And of course, finding out how much junk food is in the DR as opposed to the US can help too.
      In this country, there’s pretty much a McDonalds, Burger King, Taco Bell, KCF, Wendy’s, or some other fast food chain on every two-lane street corner. I doubt that exists in the D.R.

      While they may not be on every corner, they have a presence in the DR.

    20. Raf
      June 21st, 2009 | 10:18 pm

      oops, I should’ve read further… Diodio2 covered everything :D

    21. Raf
      June 21st, 2009 | 10:20 pm

      Steve Lombardi wrote:

      Thanks diodio2. I was going by what I’ve seen in all the film footage of the kids in the D.R., playing baseball with milk cartons as gloves, a rock for a ball, and a tree limb for a bat…just dying for a chance to come here and play – so that they would not have to work in the sugar plantations. That’s all I’ve ever seen of kids playing ball in the D.R.

      They do exist, don’t get me wrong, but there are people/players there with “real” (for lack of a better word) equipment.

    22. June 21st, 2009 | 11:35 pm

      Steve Lombardi wrote:

      brent.nycz – my point was, IN GENERAL, most 16-year old baseball playing kids in the D.R., are sticks. It’s VERY RARE to see someone, IN THE D.R,, who is THAT AGE and who weighs 210 POUNDS. Hence, my suggestion, THAT PERHAPS, he had some help adding the extra weight.
      And, if he didn’t have some enhancing to add the weight, then MAYBE he is just prone to be heavy, and, if so, then once he comes HERE, where there is cheap and fast food that WILL MAKE YOU FAT, that he could get fatter.
      That’s all.
      My opinion. Your mileage may vary.

      Though diodio2 addressed the points better than I did, I did allude to him possibly being on something at the end of my first post. In today’s day and age, and the DR’s reputation in terms of getting PEDs, that possibility can’t be eliminated.

      Btw, just call me Brent. My full name looks weird reading in comments. ;-)

    Leave a reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.