• A-Rod, Cashman, Girardi & “The Conference Call”

Posted by on June 22nd, 2009 · Comments (12)

When I first read the Jon Heyman report this weekend, about the conference call between Alex Rodriguez, Brian Cashman, and Hal Steinbrenner where A-Rod was told that he was going to sit for two games, where Joe Girardi was not on the call, I just filed it away as one of those “Add Water” A-Rod Drama items without giving it much more thought.

However, driving in the car this morning, listening to Boomer and Carton on WFAN, I’m beginning to think this thing may have legs. The boys and their callers opined on this one quite a bit.

It seems that some are very into the timing of the benching – this being Miami, where A-Rod is king, etc. And, others are very into the matter that Girardi was not on the call. Some suggest that means that A-Rod and Joe don’t get along. Others think that the Yankees brass is setting Girardi up, somehow, with this move.

So, what do you think of this whole issue? Was my first impression correct – in that it’s just another sideshow in the A-Rod circus and “been there, done that”? Or, is this a sign of some bigger problem in the A-Rod, Cashman and Girardi love triangle?

Comments on A-Rod, Cashman, Girardi & “The Conference Call”

1. MJ
      June 22nd, 2009 | 9:19 am

Non-story. The only reason it’s being discussed is because it’s A-Rod and EVERYONE looks for any reason to create something out of nothing when it comes to him. Boring. Let’s move on.

2. yagottagotomo1
      June 22nd, 2009 | 9:30 am

Your first instinct was right. If there is no real story from the beat writers, and only once talk radio gets going does it become something, that means it is based totally on speculation.

3. Corey
      June 22nd, 2009 | 10:06 am

who cares what boomer esiasan thinks about a-rod and the yankees? He should stick to what he knows.

4. ken
      June 22nd, 2009 | 10:16 am

Non-story here. Just filler for the back pages.

A bigger point is that the manager just does not have as much control as most people think. Not just Girardi but any team. In the current era, the GM runs the team and hopes that the manager doesn’t ruin the plan. (Though there may be exceptions. I suspect that LaRussa has more say than the average manager.)

June 22nd, 2009 | 10:19 am

yagottagotomo1 wrote:

Your first instinct was right. If there is no real story from the beat writers,

How was it reported? The back page of the NYDN seemed to infer that Rodriguez was benched instead of rested.

June 22nd, 2009 | 10:20 am

I agree with MJ’s sentiment that it’s much ado about nothing.

7. throwstrikes
      June 22nd, 2009 | 10:29 am

I think A-Rod and Girardi have a good relationship. Girardi has been publicly supportive of A-Rod and A-Rod has spoke highly of Girardi.

If there is a rift anywhere, a Cashman/A-Rod one seems more likely to me. Going back to the ST press conference, Cashman referred to A-Rod as protecting an asset, commented on agreeing that A-Rod was at least one of the options of “young and stupid”, didn’t seem pleased that A-Rod was going to undergo season ending surgery when it was first reported.

Maybe my imagination but when Cashman speaks about A-Rod, the script running through my head is him saying, this will not be another Carl Pavano signing. We’re paying you and we will get something out of you. I wanted to negotiate an extension with you in 2007 but you chose to opt out. I was against the new deal and now look what happened.

8. butchie22
      June 22nd, 2009 | 10:35 am

This is yet another act in the life that is Alex Rodriguez’s Circus! Is A-Rod hurt? Did Cash Man bench him? Did Gym Teacher Joe lose control? More soap opera fodder for the tabloids. Arod is chilling with Kate Hudson at 2 o’clock in the morning instead of resting…he’s not the first player to do that. IN the end, there is little smoke to infer that Arod hates Girardi or vice versa BUT Arod is one big effing mess! It would have been one thing if he had hit,but add on all the drama and the situation is amplified by leaps and bounds. The real story should be if Arod’s hip was not healed 100% and was he rested because of THAT OR because he was inneffectual at the plate. He added to it with public tryst with Kate Hudson. He loves the attention even when he’s hitting below average! Arod had a nice loyal Greek girl at home that should have been enough but no…….

Cartoon tries to blow everything up. He’s a hypemeister. He has his kids at the Fan and he wants to see if Jenn Capriati is into him?!!?? I do listen to Boomer and Cartoon, but prefer the Boomer part of the show.Cartoon comes off as Howard Stern lite and this story was classic Craigie to say the least.

9. #15
      June 23rd, 2009 | 9:59 am

I will say this… Girardi may not be so tight with A-Rod, after A-Rod got Joe’s buddy Bobby Meacham fired. Not sure about Girardi’s attitude, but I’m 100% positive of the second part.

10. MJ
      June 23rd, 2009 | 10:02 am

after A-Rod got Joe’s buddy Bobby Meacham fired. …I’m 100% positive of the second part.
      ——–
      Meacham had to go because he was awful at his job. The who and the how is window-dressing.

11. Corey
      June 23rd, 2009 | 1:27 pm

#15 wrote:

sending way too many caught runners home is what got him fired.

12. June 23rd, 2009 | 10:22 pm

[...] A-Rod, Cashman, Girardi & “The Conference Call” / Good sign for the Yankees [...]