• WasWatching.com Water Cooler Talk 6/22/09

Posted by on June 22nd, 2009 · Comments (14)

Click here for more information about this entry.

Comments on WasWatching.com Water Cooler Talk 6/22/09

1. MJ
      June 22nd, 2009 | 9:11 am

I don’t know if it’s the weather or the fact that I woke up with a stiff neck/back but I’m in a foul mood this morning and I only have three words to say about it:

The Yankees suck.

2. June 22nd, 2009 | 10:20 am

The weather doesn’t help. There’s no question on that, in my mind. But, the way that the Yankees have played in their last 12 games is disgusting. Losing 8 of 12 – and very lucky that it was not 10 of 12. Yeah, MJ, I would say that qualifies as sucking. The question is – how much longer will this go on and what happens if it does go on for, say, another two weeks and then it’s July 4th and the Yankees are in 4th place and close to nine game out of first?

Does everyone get a pass because of A-Rod, Wang, Posada, Marte, Nady, Pettitte, etc., being hurt at times, or, is someone, or more, in the organization then held accountable for this showing? And, either way, should they be held accountable?

June 22nd, 2009 | 10:28 am

I guess the bigger question is “who takes the fall.”

The offense is there, they’re among the league leaders. The pitching hasn’t really been there consistently. Some of the managerial moves have left me scratching my head. Some of the roster moves have left me scratching my head as well.

Without knowing who’s responsible for what, and the organizational dynamics, I can’t really say who should take the hit. In the old days it was one of the coaches. Then it was the manager.

While I haven’t been too impressed with Girardi @ the helm, many of his moves smack of “typical manager” moves, so I don’t know if removing him will change anything. My views on pitching coaches hasn’t changed (they’re not worth too much, IMO), so I don’t know if removing Eiland will change anything.

4. YankCrank
      June 22nd, 2009 | 11:02 am

The Yankees suck.
      —–

It’s not the weather MJ, the Yanks could have lost 8 of 12 in sparkling conditions and i’d still be as pissy and disappointed as I am now. I can look past being outplayed by the Sox and squeaking past the Mets at home, but going 2-4 against the Nationals and Marlins has left an awful taste in my mouth.

I don’t want to panic or jump ship, but this last week has started to look a lot like the 2008 Yankees. Just very, very frustrating.

5. ken
      June 22nd, 2009 | 2:02 pm

If it doesn’t turn around soon then Girardi is toast. Not necessarily that he deserves it but as a kick in the butt to the team.

One also wonders whether Arod is as bad an influence on overall team success as he appears to be. There is something about this guy that sucks the life out of teams he plays on. It may be more than coincidence that Seattle and Texas had great years after he left.

6. Corey
      June 22nd, 2009 | 2:13 pm

@ ken:
      If you ask me, I think Girardi’s job is perfectly safe this year. Long gone are the days of the boss over-reacting and firing a manager. Now I also think that at the end of the season it might be a different story, but I highly doubt we will see a mid-season managerial change with the currenty dynamic of the yankee’s FO

June 22nd, 2009 | 2:27 pm

ken wrote:

It’s coincidence, especially considering how they’ve done since he left.

8. Corey
      June 22nd, 2009 | 2:34 pm

@ Raf:
      plus, i thought the defintion of great year around these parts meant world series appearance+? Remember those chants of over-rated in ’01 Ken? And in ’04 the rangers were in third place? We did that last year, does that mean we had a ‘great year’ last year 2?

9. June 22nd, 2009 | 8:04 pm

Steve, just a random question… are you Twitter buddies with Doug Mientkiewicz @dougiebaseball?

He actually responded to some people who reply to him… but then again, so does Shaq.

10. June 22nd, 2009 | 8:17 pm

… and as I typed the last comment, Doug responded to my point that it was a shame he hasn’t been down Arthur Ave when he was a Yankee. Man, athletes and their Twitters…

June 22nd, 2009 | 10:49 pm

Is anyone watching the college world series? Pretty good game going on between LSU & Texas

12. June 22nd, 2009 | 11:02 pm

brent.nycz wrote:

I might be following him? Not sure. About once every ten days or so, I try and find people and add them to my follow list. But, I rarely log on to Twitter. Actually, I only use it for people who want to follow this blog via it.

As I posted on my Facebook page – which I use as often as Twitter! (about three times a month): Steve is wondering if Twitter will someday be spoken of in same breath as Dial-A-Joke, Swatch Watches, and the Taco Bell Chihuahua.

And, I mean it.

I only have a small amount of time, each day, to waste on the internet. So, I try and save that time for writing this blog! ;-)

(Work takes up about 60 hours of my awake time each week. And, that leaves just about 45 hours per week to be with the kids and Mrs. – and I don’t like taking away time from them just to play around with social network sites other than the one I run here.)

June 22nd, 2009 | 11:39 pm

Speaking of which, are you rocking a snuggy in your photo? :D

14. June 23rd, 2009 | 6:47 am