• Something Up With Swisher?

Posted by on June 24th, 2009 · Comments (11)

PeteAbe reported today that, about a half hour after the Yankees line-up was posted, Nick Swisher met behind closed doors with Joe Girardi and Brian Cashman – and then Melky Cabrera was pulled from the posted Yankees starting line-up and Swisher (who was not in the original line-up) was inserted into Cabrera’s place. Wonder what that was all about? Seems odd that Cashman was in Atlanta in the first place.

Could it be that there was some breaking news about Swisher which led to him being held out of the line-up, and for Cashman to get down to Atlanta, and then, after talking about it, Swisher convinced Girardi and Cashman into letting him play, anyway?

Comments on Something Up With Swisher?

1. Corey
      June 24th, 2009 | 4:33 pm

or maybe Swisher complained about not being in the line up to cashman who was already in atlanta? I dunno just throwin out all the possibilities.

June 24th, 2009 | 4:43 pm

Or it could be that Melky was traded, or it could be that Cashman forced Girardi to play Swisher…

Maybe Cashman flew into ATL to voice his approval of the job Girardi’s doing?

I don’t see Swisher complaining, he has been getting regular playing time.

3. MJ
      June 24th, 2009 | 4:44 pm

This team is imploding. Ugh, I can’t watch them anymore. I’m checking out on the Yanks until 7/5 when I go to my next game.

4. June 24th, 2009 | 4:55 pm

I dunno. Based on my experience of hearing about these types of things, it’s pretty rare for a G.M. to show up in the middle of a road trip, period, much less in the middle of a series in the middle of a road trip. Something is up. And, I don’t think it was a matter of Swisher being benched and then Cashman coming to his rescue, etc. That could have been taken care of with a phone call.

June 24th, 2009 | 5:08 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

I don’t think that’s the case either. I’m going with the “manager” angle. Girardi better not accept any phonecalls in the middle of the night :D

June 24th, 2009 | 5:10 pm

“UPDATE, 5:01 p.m.: The hitters all just went into a meeting. I bet it’s about getting more hits. ”

hahahahaha

7. MJ
      June 24th, 2009 | 5:18 pm

Raf wrote:

hahahahaha

If it takes Cashman swinging a bat at Posada’s fat head to fire up the team, so be it. I want Kenshin Kawakami’s arm in ice by the third inning tonight. Enough’s enough with the pathetic and feeble AB’s every night against unfamiliar pitchers.

Kevin Long — do your effin’ job.

8. Corey
      June 24th, 2009 | 6:15 pm

MJ wrote:

lame.

also, i’m not saying cashman is in town for just that, im sayin the swisher thing might be a coincidence cause hes there. Cash might also be letting him know Nady is starting in right tonight, and that he better get it going if he wants to play.

9. thenewguy
      June 24th, 2009 | 6:17 pm

Maybe Cashman wanted to tell Angel Berroa personally to get out of the clubhouse and never to return. Assuming Berroa is the one who will get DFA’d for Ransom.

10. MJ
      June 24th, 2009 | 11:11 pm

lame.
      —–
      Maybe so but it’s just not fun anymore. I have better things to do with my 3 hours than watch a team playing this badly. It’s unbearable to watch and it ruins my mood.

11. YankCrank
      June 25th, 2009 | 3:49 pm

Just found this thread late, but i’m guessing Cash and Joe were getting an early talk on what playing time may be like when Nady comes back. It could have very well been a preemptive-strike way of saying, “Hey, Nady is back in a week and you’re going to be sharing playing time again. We’d like to tell you now so you’re not caught-off-guard, surprised or upset. Keep playing hard and you’ll keep playing.”

Just my guess.