• June 26th @ The Mets

Posted by on June 26th, 2009 · Comments (10)

I’m going to do this one machine gun style – and just let the comments fly.

• This was the first time that I ever watched a game played at Citi Field (even on T.V.). Sure, I’ve seen clips of games, in highlights, played on YES, SNY, ESPN, The MLB Network, and the local news broadcasts – but, that’s about it. Personally, I don’t see anything special about the playing field. Sure, it’s deep in LCF-CF-RCF and there seems to be a fair amount of foul territory between the dugouts and the infield. Yet, I don’t see anything about the field that makes it standout in a Fenway, Wrigley, Camden, Jake (Progressive Field), Kauffman, PNC Park, Minute Maid, or PacBell (AT&T) kind of way.
  • Wanting to hear the lamentation of their women, I watched the last inning of this one on SNY instead of My9. But, actually, Darling, Hernandez and Cohen did a pretty good job of taking this one on the chin. (By the way, did you know that Lawrence Goldberg story about wanting to rub it in the face of his friends is a myth?)
  • Dude, how ’bout the Magic Gardner?
  • After the fourth inning, I was really starting to think that CC had a shot at a no-no. Sheffield quickly ended that in the fifth when he got a hold of that hanger. Still, as Keith Hernandez said on SNY at the end, this one was all about “Too much CC Sabathia.” Great job by the big man.
  • Was that top of the second inning fun, or what? Wright makes an error. Five batters later, Cora throws one away. And, then, next, Evans bobbles one. I sooooo wanted Luis Castillo to also make an error in that frame. It would have been awesome-cool to see the entire Mets infield make errors in the same inning against the Yankees.
  • Hey, somebody tell Ramiro Pena that it wasn’t his birthday today. El Niño sure had a party in this one, didn’t he?
  • As bad as some of the Yankees relief pitchers have been, at times, this year, Mets fans must want to puke when Elmer Dessens comes into a game. That guy is 38-years old and hasn’t been an effective pitcher since 2006. On the other hand, A-Rod enjoyed seeing him in the game.
  • By the way, Yanks were only 3 for 17 with RISP during this game – and yet scored nine runs. Good luck figuring that out.
  • Lastly, sure, it was 7-1, Yanks, in the eighth inning. But, I still got just a tad nervous when Tomko came into this game for the Yanks. Did you?
  • O.K., and, now, for a little machine gun post-game victory celebration music…

Comments on June 26th @ The Mets

1. thenewguy
      June 27th, 2009 | 12:27 am

Love the Conan clip…… Also wish I had thought to watch the last inning on SNY. You don’t support the company tag more often, Steve?

2. June 27th, 2009 | 12:37 am

I admit I gladly watched the entire game on SNY. I’ll never understand, with a choice in programming, why anyone would choose to watch Michael Kay call a Yankees game over anyone else when given the opportunity.

Gary, Ron, and Keith are light years beyond Michael Kay and his band of misfits., and thats coming from a Yankees fan who bleeds blue.

3. Evan3457
      June 27th, 2009 | 7:43 am

When Tomko came into the game, my exact words were:

“Girardi unzips his fly and waves his Bret Tomko at the Mets,”

When he was left in to pitch the 9th, I said:

“Girardi must have utter contempt for the Mets to let Tomko go a 2nd inning.”

June 27th, 2009 | 7:56 am

I watched the game on SNY as well… Having said that, the Yankees had Leiter and Cone in the booth, so it wasn’t as bad as it could have been.

Nice clip, Steve, had me laughing.

On that HR, I was wondering why Cervelli was calling so many breaking pitches. It seemed the Metsies weren’t catching up to the fastball. I don’t remember what Sheff hit, but it was either a slider or a changeup. SNY gun had CC @ 97, 98.

5. MJ
      June 27th, 2009 | 9:30 am

I prefer Jimi Hendrix’s “Machine Gun” myself.

Sabathia was dealing and showed no effects of that biceps injury that shortened his last start. He pitched like a #1 and I’m loving Sabathia more and more each time I see him. It feels great to have such a stud in our uniform for a change.

6. June 27th, 2009 | 9:36 am

thenewguy wrote:

You don’t support the company tag more often, Steve?

Well, for the record, I’m a fan of SNY and SNY.tv ;-)

Seriously, YES can learn a lot from SNY.

Like SportsNite on SNY. Why can’t the Yankees do something like that? Oh, it’s much easier to have Yogi at the Movies or repeats of the White Shadow…

And, while I LOVE Ken Singleton, David Cone and Paul O’Neill when they do the Yankees games on YES, and Bob Lorenz seems like a nice guy, and, of course, Nancy Newman has the best collection of blouses on the East Coast, from what little I’ve seen, it SEEMS like the SNY crew does a better job at covering a game. They’re more Scooter/White/Messer like, etc.

That said, I just don’t enjoy watching the Mets play – so, I don’t want their games on SNY – and, like I said, until this one, I had not watched a game played at Citi Field.

One note: I do, GLADLY, watch a Mets game when it’s the last game of the year and they’re blowing their season by losing that game. ;-)

7. June 27th, 2009 | 9:37 am

MJ wrote:

It feels great to have such a stud in our uniform for a change.

That’s a uniform? The way he wears it, it looks like a nightshirt. ;-)

8. June 27th, 2009 | 9:38 am

Raf wrote:

II don’t remember what Sheff hit, but it was either a slider or a changeup.

YES booth said it was a hanging slider.

9. ken
      June 27th, 2009 | 10:18 am

Steve Lombardi wrote:

I watch quite a bit of Mets on SNY. Actually, they are honest players and are more appropriately critical of the Mets than are Yankees TV guys. When the Mets are bad, they say so. When the Yanks are bad then you either hear an excuse or “he played great except for ____. ”

Mets announcers do analysis. Yanks announcers do promotion.

10. thenewguy
      June 27th, 2009 | 11:47 am

Mets announcers do analysis. Yanks announcers do promotion.
      ————-

I can’t stand Michael Kay (and can barely stomach Jon and Suzyn), but I really enjoy Ken Singleton and all of his tidbits about players, games, and series that I am far too young to have experienced myself. I also like O’Neil, because he doesn’t seem to realize he is an announcer, and Cone is alright. I can’t stand Flaherty though.