• Wild Thought: What If Jays Try The Fish Routine With Halladay?

Posted by on July 8th, 2009 · Comments (8)

Here’s today’s wild thought – and it’s tied to all the talk about Doc Halladay being available via trade.

What if the Blue Jays decide to handle this like the Marlins did when they made Josh Beckett available? By this, I mean, what if Toronto decides to use this as an opportunity to dump Vernon Wells contract – insisting that the team who trades for Halladay also takes Wells – like when Florida insisted that the team who acquired Beckett also took Mike Lowell.

After all, if the Jays can’t afford to pay Halladay, wouldn’t they want to also shed all that money due Vernon Wells – especially given the way Wells has performed since signing that deal?

This would narrow the field for trading Halladay – since few teams could afford to take on Wells’ contract. In fact, it could make it a two team race between the Red Sox and the Yankees. Further, maybe the Blue Jays would then want Brett Gardner (from New York) or Jacoby Ellsbury (from Boston) as part of the return for Halladay and Wells? For certain, with Johnny Damon, Xavier Nady and Hideki Matsui being free agents in New York, the Yankees could consider taking on Vernon Wells for this season and those remaining on his deal – even if the cost, around $20 million a year, is crazy. And, perhaps the Red Sox might see Wells as a replacement for Jason Bay if he leaves as a free agent?

So, that’s today’s wild thought. Should the Jays try this package play? If they did, if you were the Yankees and/or Red Sox, would it scare you away?

Me? I’d have to think about it . And, if I were the Yankees, I would really have to get some good intell on Vernon Wells to see if he could rebound in New York the way that Mike Lowell did when he went to Boston – before I pulled the trigger on that one.

Comments on Wild Thought: What If Jays Try The Fish Routine With Halladay?

1. YankCrank
      July 8th, 2009 | 10:47 am

—–

The way Lowell rebounded wasn’t magic. That short, giant wall in left field that he gets to hit off of 81 games a year really saved his hitting numbers, and his defense was never really in question. Wells wouldn’t have such an advantage as a righty hitter coming to Yankee Stadium.

2. Corey
      July 8th, 2009 | 10:52 am

20 mil a year till after 2014 for a hitter who’s had an ops overall of .763 the last 3 seasons is pretty steep even for yankee standards. A lot of payroll is coming off this year, so you’d have that kind of wiggle room…but still I’d have to take a real look at what players the jays would want if we had to take on Wells. I’d much rather take on Rios then Wells. We can’t forget, the marlins not only dropped lowell’s salary, but they gained hanley in this deal…so we’d still have to give up something (albeit not a talent as great as ramirez cause we are gaining more contract then lowell’s)

3. MJ
      July 8th, 2009 | 12:18 pm

Not in a million, billion, trillion years do I want Vernon Wells on the team. A no-field CF with a bad contract and doesn’t hit nearly well enough to justify his existence? NO THANKS!

4. butchie22
      July 8th, 2009 | 5:34 pm

Funny thing about the Blue Jays owners , Rogers Communications they had a 1.1 billion dollar Cdn profit last year! They could pay Halladay if they wanted to, they make so many other teams look like paupers. If they do trade him, it’s because they might sell that team. It’s a misnomer that the Jays are so hard up, the ownership is notoriously cheap. They would never trade him to the Yanks either or maybe even the Red Sox. JP Retardi would be tarred and feathered in the street if that happens,quite frankly.Wells is not part of any tag team trade, the Jays want cheap young talent and aren’t getting that with Wells in tandem. Pat Gillick has a philosophy that includes the idea of a winning player, Wells is the exact opposite! He has certain skills, BUT they aren’t worth 23 million a year! In the current market, try 2 million…..

Someone mentioned Rios? Another underachiever if there ever was one. Rios has a very low baseball IQ. He has made so many baserunning blunders he makes Reyes look good in comparison. He is such a lazy player in terms of work ethic too. Rios has more of an upside than Wells does BUT they would want a lot from an AL East team for their underachieving players.

Toronto doesn’t just want a Hanley Ramirez, or an Anibal Sanchez in a deal like that a la the Boston/Marlins trade, they want a Dan Haren Oakland to Arizona deal BUT even better. I don’t think that the Yankees or the Red Sox would be stupid enough to get rid of so many parts for one player. And as much as an ass as JP Retardi is, he doesn’t want to trade to those two teams…..or face the wrath of the fans.

5. redbug
      July 8th, 2009 | 6:09 pm

================================

Interesting idea, Steve. Besides checking Wells, it’d depend on what Halladay wanted in return for his no trade clause.

But, if we were able to get rid of trading a boat load of quality players, and only have to give up a Gardner type, in return of taking Wells to get a reasonable deal w/ Halladay, I’d definitely want to talk.

July 8th, 2009 | 7:57 pm

@ MJ:

If it means getting Halliday, I could put up with Wells for a few more years.

7. July 9th, 2009 | 10:51 am

[...] yesterday, I wrote: Here’s today’s wild thought – and it’s tied to all the talk about Doc Halladay being [...]

8. July 9th, 2009 | 5:07 pm

[...] from “MLB scouts.” For instance, yesterday over at WasWatching, Steve actually proposed this Wells-Halladay idea and labeled it as a “wild thought.” Also, the other day I noted that the Yankees could [...]