• July 2009 Survey Question #1

Posted by on July 9th, 2009 · Comments (6)

Please consider taking the following poll:

{democracy:65}

Thanks in advance. And, please feel free to add comments on your opinion in the comments section below.

Comments on July 2009 Survey Question #1

1. copela26
      July 9th, 2009 | 12:36 am

I voted for Gardner i was pleasantly surprised to hear that Gardner led all rookies in OBP and stolen bases during the game tonight. Combine that and the outstanding defense in center there’s no reason he shouldn’t be starting everyday.

2. Nick-YF
      July 9th, 2009 | 12:53 am

kind of strange, but this must be the strongest set of rookies the Yanks have had in a while. I guess Cano and Wang were rookies the same year as well.

3. thenewguy
      July 9th, 2009 | 1:15 am

I voted for Gardner too. As good as Aceves has been, and as decent as Melky as been, Gardner has far outperformed my expectations of him hitting-wise. Relievers, even ones who throw as well as Aceves has this year, are simply easier to find. Gardner also adds a different dimension to the Yankees (speed.)

4. Pat F
      July 9th, 2009 | 6:21 am

i voted for ace. gardner (and coke) have been excellent, but i think even if gardner has had greater impact than ace (and i’m not saying he has, but it could be argued) having another option in center makes ace a little more significant and he has had greater impact than coke in general. more importantly, aceves was really the one who took the first step towards stabilizing this bullpen, and he literally has taken games on his back for 2, 3, 4 innings at a time to deliver wins (none more impressive than last sunday). the versatility is awesome, but it’s really the flat out level he’s performed at that makes him one of the most important players on the team, let alone amongst rookies.

5. clintfsu813
      July 9th, 2009 | 6:28 am

I wanted to go with Gritty Gutty but there have been a few games that Ace has put on his back. Joba 1st inning injury and last Sunday vs B-Jays to name a few. I think he does it again today. Also, Coke has had a few hiccups. Last night being one.

6. July 9th, 2009 | 9:02 am

So far, in 2009, Aceves has an ERA of 2.02, a WHIP of .925, 6.8 h/9, an ERA+ of 216, 1.6 walks per nine, 7.7 K’s per nine and 4.86 K/BB through 40 innings so far.

So far, his statistics suggest something better than just Mendoza (who didn’t go above an ERA+ of 139, if I’m not mistaken)… they are closer with one of the greatest relief regular seasons I’ve ever seen, Mariano’s 1996.

Before anyone jumps on me for even suggesting that, I believe there is no doubt Aceves will probably regress to the mean, though I have no idea what that mean is. I’m guessing an ERA of 3.65, making him more Mendoza-like, but making him easily our 2nd or 3rd most valuable reliever behind Hughes and Mariano.

With the state of our bullpen so far, there’s no doubt in my mind Aceves has been the most valuable rookie so far this year.