• Reader Feedback Requested

    Posted by on July 10th, 2009 · Comments (58)

    Since I’ve shared some stats in the past with respect to this blog’s traffic when we had exciting news, I thought it was only fair to also share the news when it was not so exciting…

    After starting the blog back in April 2005, right away, an increase in site traffic occured – thanks to many kind folks spreading the word, etc. Further, while I’m not 100% sure, I want to say it was around March of 2007 when traffic here peaked and was pretty steady from there out.

    In fact, I can confirm that, from May 2008 through January 2009, the numbers were nice and very steady. And, for the point to made here, I’m going to use this 9-month period as a “baseline” with respect to traffic.

    Now, from February 2009 through May 2009, traffic here started to slip, a bit, from the “baseline.” To put a number on it, I would say it averaged, during this 4-month period, to be “80% of the baseline.” And, while that was “down,” I wasn’t too concerned about it – since the overall numbers were fine (in my opinon) but just not as high as May 2008 through January 2009.

    But, then came June 2009. Last month, traffic here was indeed “down.” To put a number on it, June 2009 was at 75% of the 4-month prior pace and at “60% of the baseline.” And, this is hard to ignore.

    What does this all mean? Hey, it means this blog had a lot less traffic last month than it normally experiences. Why? While I have my theories, I thought I would ask you – the readers. Thanks in advance for anything that you care to share in the comments section below.

    Comments on Reader Feedback Requested

    1. Raf
      July 10th, 2009 | 4:48 pm

      Work gets in the way of things sometimes…

    2. antone
      July 10th, 2009 | 4:52 pm

      @ Raf: I 2nd that…perhaps some of the regulars are no commenting as much which is causing less people to come back multiple times throughout the day?

      Also, the Yanks have been playing well so maybe less to complain or worry about for commenters too?

    3. July 10th, 2009 | 4:52 pm

      Raf wrote:

      Work gets in the way of things sometimes…

      LOL, Raf, I hope you don’t think that you having a lot of work to do lead to a 40% drop. If that were true, then I should change the name of the blog from WasWatching.com to OnlyRafReading.com

    4. Corey
      July 10th, 2009 | 4:54 pm

      i would think the site re-designs would lead to a drop in usage as well, as well as the fact that a prior build of the site was a bit on the slow side (but fine now)

    5. July 10th, 2009 | 4:54 pm

      antone wrote:

      Also, the Yanks have been playing well so maybe less to complain or worry about for commenters too?

      That’s one of my theories – that, with the Yanks playing well, there’s less Red Sox trolls coming by to “enjoy” reading about me twisting in the wind and dying over the Yanks not going well. ;-)

    6. jmeisner
      July 10th, 2009 | 4:57 pm

      Honestly, I just think it’s just a tippy market. Pete Abe at LoHud is winning all of the traffic.

    7. July 10th, 2009 | 4:59 pm

      Corey wrote:

      i would think the site re-designs would lead to a drop in usage as well,

      Interesting. May I ask why? Yes, we had an issue when it was slow – back around March/April – but, that’s been fixed. Is there something about the current theme that you think would make people come by less often?

    8. antone
      July 10th, 2009 | 4:59 pm

      @ Steve Lombardi:

      I personally think there isn’t as much to critique when the Yanks are doing well and things do seem “boring” this year.

      I still don’t like Girardi as a manager though and I don’t think the Yanks pitching has been good enough to win in the playoffs right now.

      The Rays are coming on strong and I think the Sox could be headed for a fade…their offense is just barely above league average right now. I think they need to trade for a bat badly. Even Youkilis is admitting that teams are pitching him differently this year after his monster season last year, which could be why he is struggling. Papelbon has also been very hittable of late.

      If the Yanks could get some better pitching then I think they could pull away from the Sox. The Rays are just scary though.

    9. Corey
      July 10th, 2009 | 5:02 pm

      Steve Lombardi wrote:

      Interesting. May I ask why? Yes, we had an issue when it was slow – back around March/April – but, that’s been fixed. Is there something about the current theme that you think would make people come by less often?

      no, i think it’s fine now… i was just sayin that maybe people who would normally view the site came across the issues in March/April and got turned off by it and went elsewhere for their yankees needs. The common internet user is very impatient, and things like that happen all the time.

    10. antone
      July 10th, 2009 | 5:03 pm

      @ Steve Lombardi: People are resistant to change in general so it wouldn’t surprise me if that was one of the reasons, but after a while they should get used to it.

    11. Raf
      July 10th, 2009 | 5:04 pm

      Steve Lombardi wrote:

      antone wrote:
      Also, the Yanks have been playing well so maybe less to complain or worry about for commenters too?
      That’s one of my theories – that, with the Yanks playing well, there’s less Red Sox trolls coming by to “enjoy” reading about me twisting in the wind and dying over the Yanks not going well.

      There haven’t been many Sox fans I remember, other than OnceWas, and Brad. I’m sure I’m missing one or two.

      Besides, they have all the reason to come here and troll with “Z0mG 0-8, S4wXX0RZ pwnz t3h Y4nK33ZZZ!!!1!!!11!”

    12. July 10th, 2009 | 5:05 pm

      jmeisner wrote:

      Honestly, I just think it’s just a tippy market. Pete Abe at LoHud is winning all of the traffic.

      Dunno. Granted, the landscape has changed a lot over the years – there’s many more Yankees blogs now than there were in 2005 when I started. But, it seems funny for that type of factor to hit like this, suddenly in June. Ditto the Twitter impact. I think a shift like that impact would be more over time.

      I still have one more theory that no one has mentioned. It will be interesting to see if anyone else has that one…

    13. antone
      July 10th, 2009 | 5:07 pm

      Steve Lombardi wrote:

      jmeisner wrote:
      Honestly, I just think it’s just a tippy market. Pete Abe at LoHud is winning all of the traffic.
      Dunno. Granted, the landscape has changed a lot over the years – there’s many more Yankees blogs now than there were in 2005 when I started. But, it seems funny for that type of factor to hit like this, suddenly in June. Ditto the Twitter impact. I think a shift like that impact would be more over time.
      I still have one more theory that no one has mentioned. It will be interesting to see if anyone else has that one…

      The fact you do less posts? and the Water Cooler probably isn’t driving many google searches to your site….and also you don’t rag on Phil Hughes anymore!

    14. antone
      July 10th, 2009 | 5:07 pm

      …or Cashman!

    15. July 10th, 2009 | 5:09 pm

      antone wrote:

      I personally think there isn’t as much to critique when the Yanks are doing well and things do seem “boring” this year.

      So, are you saying that people only come to this site to trash me when I report how things are going crappy in Yankeeland? ;-) And, when things are good, and that’s what I’m writing, no one cares because there’s nothing to rip me about? ;-)

    16. July 10th, 2009 | 5:12 pm

      antone wrote:

      The fact you do less posts? and the Water Cooler probably isn’t driving many google searches to your site….and also you don’t rag on Phil Hughes anymore!

      LOL – I do about the same amount of posts now – granted, more of them are later in the day. And, I love Phil Hughes the RP. LOL.

      Now, I’ve been on Nick Swisher this season. And, Cashman somewhat. Boy, it would be sad if people only came around here because I had something to say about a Yankee that was less than flattering.

    17. nettles
      July 10th, 2009 | 5:15 pm

      I read your blog daily, via your RSS feed and a blog reader, and I enjoy your observations thoroughly. However, I rarely access the actual website, just the content. I suspect I’m not the only one. Do your statistics account for those of us who aren’t actually coming to the website?

    18. July 10th, 2009 | 5:24 pm

      Nettles – first, thanks for your support/interest. Secondly, thanks for all those great plays in the ’78 World Series. You don’t get enough credit for those!

      LOL. Your point is interesting. I would bet that my numbers do not reflect those who do not come to the site but read it another way. To be honest, there’s code on the site that reports back to SNY (and then me) as to how many pages are viewed, etc. So, I would imagine that the actual page needs to be viewed to be counted.

      This is an angle that I had not thought of – meaning that the site might be just as “popular” in the sense that people are reading it – but it’s not getting “credit” because of the feed-reader thing. LOL – maybe I need to write more hot topics that lead to comments – to force people to visit the actual site and comment?

    19. July 10th, 2009 | 5:36 pm

      Other factors are there too… people are just out looking for work.. honestly they dont care abt the Yanks or wts going in sports with the way the job market is… so casual visitors who were employed maybe are not hitting the site… i am sure as part of cost cuts some families have done away with internet (rather than cable tv)… i also think the RiverAveBlues site has taken off recently.. some of their game threads are ridiculous and bcos there are 3 authors theres more updates with them… i usually only check out RAB, WW and LohuD blogs… i switched bronxbanter with RAB… theres only so many blogs folks can visit… and never discount the power of ‘register to comment’.. it turns folks off.. for some reason…

    20. antone
      July 10th, 2009 | 5:36 pm

      Steve Lombardi wrote:

      antone wrote:
      I personally think there isn’t as much to critique when the Yanks are doing well and things do seem “boring” this year.
      So, are you saying that people only come to this site to trash me when I report how things are going crappy in Yankeeland? And, when things are good, and that’s what I’m writing, no one cares because there’s nothing to rip me about?

      Nope, just saying I’m less inclined to comment about the Yanks when things are going good then when they are going bad.

      Steve Lombardi wrote:

      Nettles – first, thanks for your support/interest. Secondly, thanks for all those great plays in the ‘78 World Series. You don’t get enough credit for those!
      LOL. Your point is interesting. I would bet that my numbers do not reflect those who do not come to the site but read it another way. To be honest, there’s code on the site that reports back to SNY (and then me) as to how many pages are viewed, etc. So, I would imagine that the actual page needs to be viewed to be counted.
      This is an angle that I had not thought of – meaning that the site might be just as “popular” in the sense that people are reading it – but it’s not getting “credit” because of the feed-reader thing. LOL – maybe I need to write more hot topics that lead to comments – to force people to visit the actual site and comment?

      I also access the site through the RSS feed in the google reader and I only actually visit the site when I comment.

    21. July 10th, 2009 | 5:48 pm

      @srivinodh

      Thanks for the thought. FWIW, I was “home” from June through October last year – looking for work. And, I actually spent more time on the ‘net then since I was looking, etc. So, I’m not sure if the economy is the answer…

      I do agree that there are only “so many” sites one can visit. It’s funny, I can recall, back around 1997-1998-1999 visiting a ton of different sites, always looking for more, etc. And, these days, I maybe go to the same 5 sites everyday and usually no more than that. So, perhaps some folks have replaced WW with something else in their rotation? That’s very possible.

      So, that leads to the question – why switch? Something lacking here? Or, is there something better elsewhere?

      And, LOL, don’t even get me started on the game thread thing. OK, too late…

      That’s the thing I hate the most about internet sites and traffic reports, etc.

      You can have a quality site, with awesome content, and get “X” amount of hits. But, someone else can get 10 times the hits that you do because they have some game threads where a bunch of people who like to watch games while on line frequent the site and they keep typing things like “Come on Yanks, get a hit!” or “Nick Swisher is a god!” or some other fluff, over and over, in comments, driving up hit counts.

      Talk about empty stats! ;-)

    22. July 10th, 2009 | 6:13 pm

      Steve Lombardi wrote:

      @srivinodh
      And, LOL, don’t even get me started on the game thread thing. OK, too late…
      That’s the thing I hate the most about internet sites and traffic reports, etc.
      You can have a quality site, with awesome content, and get “X” amount of hits. But, someone else can get 10 times the hits that you do because they have some game threads where a bunch of people who like to watch games while on line frequent the site and they keep typing things like “Come on Yanks, get a hit!” or “Nick Swisher is a god!” or some other fluff, over and over, in comments, driving up hit counts.
      Talk about empty stats!

      very true… infact that was one of the reasons why i stopped going to BronxBanter… the game threads were getting a little nasty.. i know once the game is over i can come over to WW for a short-crisp summary…

      i think you should incorporate a few guest posts… from known and unknown names… once a week you can incorporate some game time chats… do the PeteAbe trick… have prepared posts that go every 3 or 4 hours…

    23. Corey
      July 10th, 2009 | 6:14 pm

      Steve Lombardi wrote:

      o, perhaps some folks have replaced WW with something else in their rotation? That’s very possible

      thats precisely what i was alluding to when i said people might have gotten turned off by the slow loading page of a few months back. But ditto on the internet surfing thing, i find myself also only going to a handful of sites. This being one of them, obviously.

    24. nwyank
      July 10th, 2009 | 6:16 pm

      Love the site. I visit multiple times per day. And I don’t find it negative, just realistic. This I appreciate.
      Yes, when the Yanks are sinking, I do feel compelled to attack the internet and try to find the reasons why. Also to commiserate with other fans. When the Yanks are soaring there is less inclination to visit multiple websites. But I always visit this one.
      The team right now is a little less interesting, in my opinion. The Torre years were a highlight be/cs the team was a powerhouse and was expected to win. Now? Not so sure. I sense that the RS have taken the top spot.
      I really cannot say why there would be less interest. However, the Yanks have esentially been on top for a long time, and trees don’t grow to the sky, so a dropoff should be expected. It is impossible to sustain excellence.

    25. redbug
      July 10th, 2009 | 6:17 pm

      I can’t guess why June. If I’m a typical long-time Yankee fan, I can say my heart isn’t beating as hard for the Yanks this year, and that may translate to your site (although, I still check in at least twice a day). I’m really ticked off at the Yankees obscene greediness as far as ticket prices; and, their policy about keeping fans away from the players during batting practice, etc.

      Sure they lowered prices, but still, $1,200+ to see a baseball game?! How many seats still go empty while long time season seat holders are up in the upper deck by the foul pole? And, yes, now kids are allowed out by the foul pole to try to get an autograph? Please.

      I know I’m in the minority here but I was a Torre fan. I still don’t understand how a mgr who was a big part of getting us to the PS every yr was so poorly treated. Or, how Jim Kaat was told there was no room in the broadcat booth for him. At least they finally figured out how to shut Hank up.

      So while I’m still a fan, I feel like one during the worst yr’s of George’s reign. There are probably others, especially more casual ones who no longer care as much and that be trickling on to your site, Steve.

    26. Corey
      July 10th, 2009 | 6:17 pm

      to be frank, i could also see your public “fight” with yagottogotomo where you pretty much told him not to come back anymore and not to read the site anymore in the comments section of a few posts as another contributing factor. While it didn’t bother me, i could see less frequent or first time visitors being turned off by that, and that happened fairly recently so it could explain the june drop off.

      Plus MJ has been on vacation what…2 days now? That had to have killed july :P

    27. Raf
      July 10th, 2009 | 6:22 pm

      Steve Lombardi wrote:

      Boy, it would be sad if people only came around here because I had something to say about a Yankee that was less than flattering.

      It wouldn’t be surprising, tho’

    28. Raf
      July 10th, 2009 | 6:23 pm

      srivinodh wrote:

      that was one of the reasons why i stopped going to BronxBanter… the game threads were getting a little nasty..

      That was only one guy who has since been banned. The tone of the threads do change depending on whether the Yanks are winning or losing. Guess that shouldn’t come as a surprise

    29. July 10th, 2009 | 7:13 pm

      Raf wrote:

      srivinodh wrote:
      that was one of the reasons why i stopped going to BronxBanter… the game threads were getting a little nasty..
      That was only one guy who has since been banned. The tone of the threads do change depending on whether the Yanks are winning or losing. Guess that shouldn’t come as a surprise

      I donno, and BB also has a quirky look now…

    30. cr1
      July 10th, 2009 | 7:33 pm

      I am recently a frequent reader (having read intermittently in the past), and with this a first-time commenter. I follow four Yankees blogs, plus one that I think of as a column to read than as a place to comment (struckoutlooking). I no longer consider myself a ‘regular’ on any of the blogs I follow, where in the past I had one ‘home’ blog where I commented every day, ‘knew’ the other regulars, and regarded it as my primary home for Yankees discussion. Now I enjoy the variety of rotating among selected sources, WasWatching among them. I did a lot of reading around before picking my current four and, for me (obviously it can’t mean the same to you since I am a complete stranger) the fact that yours is one of my top four and is followed daily is a compliment to the interest of the content and the sanity (relative of course!) of your regulars.

      Long story short — wondering if there are others like me who tend more to rotate among a regular few than to be enmeshed as a frequent poster on any one blog? I go for a balance now: if you’re a downer on any given day that’s fine, I have another blog that is almost guaranteed to make me laugh.

      Anyway, my compliments on your holding my interest and that of some other people who seem to make sense.

      P.S. I hate game threads and my hat is off to a blogger who resists this mindless trend! If you have to do it to gain hits, I’ll forgive you, but I won’t join in — I like to actually watch games with some degree of attention.

    31. Corey
      July 10th, 2009 | 8:46 pm

      cr1 wrote:

      wondering if there are others like me who tend more to rotate among a regular few than to be enmeshed as a frequent poster on any one blog?

      yea i read this, RAB, lohud, mlb trade rumors, and drunk jays fans. This is the only one that i comment on usually, however.

      cr1 wrote:

      P.S. I hate game threads and my hat is off to a blogger who resists this mindless trend! If you have to do it to gain hits, I’ll forgive you, but I won’t join in — I like to actually watch games with some degree of attention.

      if one has a lap top, you can easily do both. I usually don’t because i watch the games on a slight delay (to avoid commercials with the dvr) tho

    32. July 10th, 2009 | 9:05 pm

      Just wanted to say thanks for the additional feedback since my last comment here. And, keep it coming if you have more.

      I want to reply to some of this – but have something to do now. I promise to log on later with those replies.

    33. thenewguy
      July 10th, 2009 | 9:43 pm

      @ Corey:yea i read this, RAB, lohud, mlb trade rumors, and drunk jays fans. This is the only one that i comment on usually, however.

      Those are the only 5 baseball blogs i read too! Im a big fan of drunk jays fans.

      As for traffic on this blog, Steve, it actually seemed to me as though commenting has gone up in my time here. Obviously, your stats tell you the truth, but I had the exact opposite impression until you gave the stats.

      I dunno, I would think summer months are slower… more time outside, with the family, away from the house, on vacation. But I don’t have any great ideas. I still love what you do though!

    34. ken
      July 10th, 2009 | 9:56 pm

      2 comments:

      1- I think that the recent Yankee success is impacting the volume of posts. I happened to think about this recently regarding callers to WFAN. There have been lots of Met calls recently but very few Yankee callers. There were alot more Yankee callers when they were losing. Losing leads to fans venting.

      2- Though this probably doesn’t matter a whole lot, I am frustrated by the navigation links not being visible at the top of the page for previous and prior posts.

    35. sanair
      July 10th, 2009 | 10:04 pm

      FWIW, I’m now a big believer in RSS feeds. They save about a million hours in my day. And, because I’ve found time more precious nowadays, I’ve stopped reading comments. Everyone has an opinion, no need to read every one.

    36. July 10th, 2009 | 10:09 pm

      srivinodh wrote:

      … do the PeteAbe trick… have prepared posts that go every 3 or 4 hours…

      Believe it or not, I already do that.

    37. July 10th, 2009 | 10:11 pm

      nwyank wrote:

      Love the site. I visit multiple times per day. And I don’t find it negative, just realistic. This I appreciate.

      Thank you!

      nwyank wrote:

      Yes, when the Yanks are sinking, I do feel compelled to attack the internet and try to find the reasons why. Also to commiserate with other fans. When the Yanks are soaring there is less inclination to visit multiple websites. But I always visit this one.
      The team right now is a little less interesting, in my opinion.

      So, maybe it is an inverse relationship thing? Yanks do better, I have less readers?

    38. July 10th, 2009 | 10:13 pm

      redbug wrote:

      So while I’m still a fan, I feel like one during the worst yr’s of George’s reign. There are probably others, especially more casual ones who no longer care as much and that be trickling on to your site, Steve.

      So, can I blame Randy Levine, Lonn Trost, and their cabin boy, Cashman, for my bad June numbers? ;-)

    39. July 10th, 2009 | 10:27 pm

      Corey wrote:

      to be frank, i could also see your public “fight” with yagottogotomo where you pretty much told him not to come back anymore and not to read the site anymore in the comments section of a few posts as another contributing factor. While it didn’t bother me, i could see less frequent or first time visitors being turned off by that, and that happened fairly recently so it could explain the june drop off.

      Now, this is an interesting theory.

      First, Geez, Louise…I had a “fight”? Really?

      The way I remember it was that someone was bellyaching over and over again about my opinion on a matter (or matters) and I told them that they would be better off not reading the blog since it seemed that all I did was upset them with the sharing of my opinion and/or view on a matter.

      Is that a “fight” or a PSA?

      Now, that said, it does tie back to one of my theories – in terms of timing. It was at that same time where I had a feature saying the Yanks were medicore – which I did believe, at that time. And, it was about that time in June when the numbers started to slide.

      So, maybe some readers decided to play “I’m going to take my ball and go home” because of that feature – as it upset their “Yankee fandom” or something?

      Or, maybe you’re right Corey? Maybe my suggestion that people who are upset with my opinion should do themselves a favor and not read it actually took root with a lot of people?

      If true, so be it. I still truly believe that those who come here just to moan and whine about my opinion, consistently, should ask themselves why they read me if I am that upsetting to them. (For the record, I no longer strongly believe that the Yanks are medicore ;-) )

      Really, if the only way to have more traffic is to have a bunch of people who can’t stand me frequent the site and make comments about how much I distress them…then I’d stick to having the lower number…it’s easier on everyone.

    40. July 10th, 2009 | 10:31 pm

      cr1 wrote:

      I did a lot of reading around before picking my current four and, for me (obviously it can’t mean the same to you since I am a complete stranger) the fact that yours is one of my top four and is followed daily is a compliment to the interest of the content and the sanity (relative of course!) of your regulars.

      Thank you!

      cr1 wrote:

      I hate game threads and my hat is off to a blogger who resists this mindless trend! If you have to do it to gain hits, I’ll forgive you, but I won’t join in — I like to actually watch games with some degree of attention.

      Amen.

    41. July 10th, 2009 | 10:34 pm

      thenewguy wrote:

      I dunno, I would think summer months are slower… more time outside, with the family, away from the house, on vacation. But I don’t have any great ideas. I still love what you do though!

      First, thanks! Secondly, the way things always trend here – and some other blogs that I know, where I am friendly with the authors – is that traffic is highest Monday through Friday, from 8 am to 6 pm. Basically, folks read and comment during work hours – to take a break from work, I suppose. Weekends are always lighter. It’s never been a seasonal thing…at least here…before…the numbers were always good any month of the year.

    42. July 10th, 2009 | 10:38 pm

      ken wrote:

      I think that the recent Yankee success is impacting the volume of posts. I happened to think about this recently regarding callers to WFAN. There have been lots of Met calls recently but very few Yankee callers. There were alot more Yankee callers when they were losing. Losing leads to fans venting.

      As others have mentioned, this could be part of it. But, are other blogs feeling a dip? I don’t think so…

      ken wrote:

      Though this probably doesn’t matter a whole lot, I am frustrated by the navigation links not being visible at the top of the page for previous and prior posts.

      That bugs me too. I see them with a lower version of IE – really, they’re there – but, with higher verisons of IE, you can’t read the font color – as I guess it’s too close to the background color. Basically, I need someone who understands the code to help me with this – I’ve tried, a few times, to fix it. I just can’t find the right place in the code.

    43. July 10th, 2009 | 10:40 pm

      sanair wrote:

      FWIW, I’m now a big believer in RSS feeds. They save about a million hours in my day. And, because I’ve found time more precious nowadays, I’ve stopped reading comments. Everyone has an opinion, no need to read every one.

      Ah, ha! So, it’s you’re fault!

      Just kidding…but, if more feel this way, that could be part of what’s happening…

    44. flamingBurrito
      July 10th, 2009 | 10:44 pm

      @ Steve Lombardi:
      Yea, I’m definitely in the RSS reader camp. I usually don’t comment and just read from my reader.

    45. July 11th, 2009 | 2:11 am

      Thanks flamingBurrito – hey, at least I’m getting all you RSS guys to comment just this once, right? LOL

    46. Evan3457
      July 11th, 2009 | 2:48 am

      Steve:

      As I’m sure you’re aware, I read this site a couple of times a day, and comment frequently. Maybe pointlessly, as well.

      Anyway, I don’t know if this has anything to do with it, but until recently, if you typed “was watching” into the search box at Google, your blog was always the first entry it listed, followed by a bunch of “The whole world was watching” sites devoted to civil rights and politics. Well, a few weeks back, I don’t know when, your site was dropped from the top of the list. It is now no longer on the first 10 Google pages under that search item, and I don’t feel like looking through any more.

      Even if you type in “was watching steve lombardi”, or “was watching Yankees blog”, or “was watching Yankees”, you’re not on the first Google page anymore.

      The reason why I Google to it is that although your page is a permanent bookmark at home, when I’m at work, I don’t bookmark it there, and I have had to get here via Google search.

      It is possible your dropoff a little to do with people who used to accidentally find this page via Google no longer doing so.

    47. Garcia
      July 11th, 2009 | 9:05 am

      I’m a little late to the game. I read the site mostly from work, however, WW.com is considered a “social networking site” so I can’t read it from work because of the Amish web-filters. I just use the google reader to read the content, but can’t see any of the comments.

      Whenever there are times that I do want to read the comments, then I just wait till I need to go to the bathroom and bring my phone with me. It’s funny too, because the only time I really want to read the comments is if it’s a controversial post and I want to see how people are ripping Steve – sorry, Steve, but you know you like to get people going so I do find some some humor there when people get all pissy over Cashman or Hughes, and I do too so they are kind of commenting for me as well.

      I do wish you had a better mobile version of the site, it really takes a while to load on my phone.

      The times are changing and you aren’t becoming irrelevant, you just need to find new and innovative ways to keep making it interesting. Have you thought about .10 cent beer if you visit WW? That’ll get you a few hits.

    48. July 11th, 2009 | 9:12 am

      Evan3457 – thanks. I had no idea about the Google thing. That sure could be part of it. I wonder if there’s a way to fix that?

      Garcia – thanks as well. I feel your pain on the “social networking site” thing. I cannot access Twitter, Facebook or see any video at work – and it’s annoying as heck.

      Thanks also for the heads-up on the mobile thing. If anyone knows of a way to solve that, please let me know.

    49. Corey
      July 11th, 2009 | 1:58 pm

      Is that a “fight” or a PSA?
      ===========
      the first few times it seemed like a PSA, but after a while it started to get old with even me, i might be alone here on taht tho…That’s why i posted a link to your contact section for yagottagotomo, so you guys could talk privately…i didn’t want that to deter from the overall greatness of the blog.

      ============
      Basically, folks read and comment during work hours – to take a break from work, I suppose.
      -============
      yup. Although, I don’t do it so much to take a break from work, I do it while I’m working. As a programmer theres a lot of deadtime while your running tests and waiting for results or re-compiling source code, so I often find myself with a few min here and there where i just stare at my sceeen. That’s when i take the oppurtunity to come here.

      ==========
      The reason why I Google to it is that although your page is a permanent bookmark at home, when I’m at work, I don’t bookmark it there, and I have had to get here via Google search.
      ==========
      lol so you type “was watching” into google but not the address bar? ;)
      =======
      I’m a little late to the game. I read the site mostly from work, however, WW.com is considered a “social networking site” so I can’t read it from work because of the Amish web-filters. I just use the google reader to read the content, but can’t see any of the comments.
      =======
      http://www.dtunnel.com http proxy sites solve this problem. It allows you to go to any site regardless of network restrictions. (for you too steve, it’ll work with twitter and fb)

    50. Corey
      July 11th, 2009 | 2:01 pm

      one note about dtunnel, if you want facebook to work or any other site that’s heavy with javascripts, you have to un-check the field that says “Remove Scripts”, otherwise sites like facebook will load but not work properly.

    51. Corey
      July 11th, 2009 | 2:30 pm

      o and 1 more thing about dtunnel, it keeps a history of the links u go to within dtunnel, but not the actual site. So intstead of your internet history reporting that you went to http://www.waswatching.com/ it instead says something like http://www.dtunnel.com/index.php/1010110A/f5c82870bcf4004546f049607cfd7f1617ae0cf39617674

    52. YankCrank
      July 11th, 2009 | 5:43 pm

      I can only speak about my personal experience. I read the blog every day and visit it multiple times, but I started commenting a lot less when the “community guidelines” were being frequently thrown at me. Not to say it’s your fault, I was the one making the comments and if it’s not what you want on your blog than that’s the rules, but i honestly didn’t want to come off as a problem.

      I also felt the situation with yagottagotomo made me less likely to strongly disagree with you on anything. But I still come here every day and still comment from time to time.

    53. yagottagotomo1
      July 11th, 2009 | 10:11 pm

      Hey, it seems that I am a celebrity here!!!

      Steve, a few thoughts-

      1) June is when most semesters for students end, so that whole segment of your readership may be away from th computers either vacationing or working.

      2) June was the draft, and you did not have much coverage on that, which may have spurred some people to head to other blogs. On my blog, those were our biggest two weeks in our 6 month existence, and we have retained a chunk of those readers.

      Cannot think of much more.

    54. July 12th, 2009 | 10:24 am

      Just wanted to say thanks to all for the additional feedback!

      I’m pretty convinced, now, that it’s:

      50% the google thing – as WasWatching.com was completely taken off their index. (I’m working with them now to see what happened.)

      30% the Yankees playing well thing – where non-Yanks fans trolls and suffering Yanks fans being more likely to tune in during bad times.

      20% some combination of all the other stuff suggested here.

      Again, thanks to all on this – esp, Evan3457…as I had no idea about the google thing until they mentioned it.

    55. July 13th, 2009 | 3:19 pm

      Evan3457 wrote:

      until recently, if you typed “was watching” into the search box at Google, your blog was always the first entry it listed,.

      FYI, that’s fixed now on google. Try it. And, thanks again for bringing this to my attention.

    56. Raf
      July 13th, 2009 | 4:21 pm

      Steve Lombardi wrote:

      Evan3457 wrote:
      until recently, if you typed “was watching” into the search box at Google, your blog was always the first entry it listed,.
      FYI, that’s fixed now on google. Try it. And, thanks again for bringing this to my attention.

      Ok, so what happened?

    57. July 13th, 2009 | 5:34 pm

      If I told you, then you’d be able to finger me when the party behind it is killed. ;-)

    58. Raf
      July 13th, 2009 | 5:57 pm

      Nah, I’d put the blame on Schultzie… I know nothing, nothing!

    Leave a reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.