• July 11th @ The Angels

Posted by on July 11th, 2009 · Comments (12)

Missed this one. After hitting the pool today with the kids, and an early dinner, our family went up to Yogi Berra Stadium to see the New Jersey Jackals host “the American Defenders of New Hampshire” – and we had to leave the house around 5:20 pm (ET) to make it.

YogiBerraStadium

“The American Defenders of New Hampshire” wear some funky desert camouflage uniforms – with “USA” across the chest. Even their batting helmets are done in desert camouflage.

UniformsDefendersAmerica

The manager of “the American Defenders of New Hampshire” is former Red Sox player Brian Daubach. Remember him?

In any event, the Jackals played this evening like they were the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim facing the New York Yankees – and won big. There was also an awesome fireworks display after the game – which got in just before the rains came…great timing.

Like I said, I missed the Yankees game today…and, after hearing the final score, it looks like I picked a good one to skip.

Regarding Friday’s Yanks-Angels game, I wrote that it was “like watching the 2002 ALDS all over again.” You could probably ditto that for this one too.

You know, at the end of the day, you can play .600 ball and make the post-season. But, more times than not, at least lately, you’re going to have to go through the Red Sox and/or Angels once you get to October – if you want to represent the A.L. in the World Series. And…hey…let’s face it: The Yankees have yet to show us that they can handle the Bosox or Halos…have they?

Comments on July 11th @ The Angels

July 12th, 2009 | 3:36 am

“the American Defenders of New Hampshire?” Kinda unwieldy if you ask me. The Giants AA team in Norwich (former Navigators) got it right; “Connecticut Defenders”

2. Pat F
      July 12th, 2009 | 6:23 am

hopefully we hand CC the same 4-0 lead we handed joba and pettitte. after scoring 14 runs in 2 days, would be very frustrating to not give CC anything today and lose 3-2 or something.

3. cr1
      July 12th, 2009 | 8:26 am

Angels have been killing us for the longest. I watch games with them like a driver looking at an accident on the highway, horrified but glued to the scene. However, today family plans will likely cut my viewing about halfway through. Trying not to believe that that will be for the best.

4. Pat F
      July 12th, 2009 | 9:46 am

steve question for you (that is sort of on topic!). it seems like you get to your fair share of these low level minor league/indy ball games, mostly with your family. so i’m assuming your primary purpose for going is that it’s a fantastic and reasonably priced family event, and the added bonus is that it happens to be baseball. that said, how much do you get to/choose to actually pay attention to these games? are you pretty in tune to what’s going on, or is it just sort of a laid back day outside at the park? just wondering as i have been to exactly one of these kinds of games in my life, 6 years ago now, and want to get a feel for what the atmosphere is like and how a fellow baseball nut approaches watching the game itself.

July 12th, 2009 | 10:03 am

Pat F wrote:

For me it’s both. I may make note of a top prospect, but for the most part, it’s a day spent @ the park. Which is always a good thing for me :D

6. July 12th, 2009 | 10:17 am

@Pat F

Ditto what Raf said. It’s a combo thing. Since my kids are 5 and 7, there are times where I need to take them for a walk around the park, or something, where I then don’t get a chance to lock into the game. But, if they’re content, and I’m left alone to do my thing, I’m into the game – for basically “the four reasons” I highlighted the other day about what I enjoy most about baseball.

Then again, I’m a junkie. There’s a HS baseball field next to my local post-office. And, if I happen to be at the P.O., and there’s a game being played, I have to stop and watch a few pitches – even ‘tho I know nothing about the players and it’s just a H.S. game. (FWIW, I would probably stop and watch even if it was a pick-up game.)

We do get to at least four or five different indy/minor parks a year – because it’s cheap and fun – and probably see about six or seven games there a season. And, like I said, if given the chance, I get into the game. (We also end up rooting for the home team. The one exception will be next month when we go to see the Aberdeen Ironbirds host the S.I. Yanks, of course!)

I didn’t get to see my first minor league game until June 1999 – saw the Durham Bulls play in N.C. while on a business trip. But, that’s all I needed – and was quickly hooked. You just can’t beat the small ballpark experience.

7. Pat F
      July 12th, 2009 | 10:18 am

thanks raf. that’s what i figured. i’m sure that’s very much proportional with the level you’re seeing as well. AA trenton would be almost as interesting to me as going to a yankee game in terms of attention paid, interested to see all the prospects you watch in box scores everyday. not so much at indy ball i’m sure. would be interested to get your take as well steve.

8. Pat F
      July 12th, 2009 | 10:26 am

thanks steve, great input.

July 12th, 2009 | 10:32 am

Steve Lombardi wrote:

I’ve done the same as well. Little league and pickup games too. Matter of fact, that’s how I was able to hook up with the New Rochelle Robins (collegiate division, Westchester Baseball Assoc) about 10 years ago. I was passing the field, and swung by to check out a couple of innings. I recognized a couple of players I had lost touch with, and caught up to them after the game. They introduced me to their coach, that got me a tryout, and eventually a spot on the team.

10. butchie22
      July 12th, 2009 | 12:53 pm

cr1 wrote:

It is analogous to watching a train wreck/car crash isn’t it? Scioscia really knows what buttons to push when playing the Yanks, even though they have had their own injury woes. That team (and now this year the Red Sox) are the Yankees’ version of kryptonite. God forbid, if they have to face them in the first round or any round of the playoffs. Then again, remember how Detroit was supposed to be a soft touch, so one never knows with the playoffs being such a crapshoot.

July 12th, 2009 | 1:20 pm

FWIW, the Yanks took 2 of 3 from the Angels earlier this year

12. cr1
      July 12th, 2009 | 1:33 pm

To throw in my 2cents worth on minor league experiences, going to any level of Yankees games piques my interest — I look to see what ‘our’ youngsters have to show as much as to see a game. Closest is the home of the Staten Island Yankees, which is a beautiful little gem of a ballpark with bayview and ships passing as well as being new, clean, comfy, friendly and just a 20-min ferry ride away from Manhattan, plus a couple of blocks walk from the ferry terminal on the SI side. Anybody local who hasn’t been to a minor league game in a while, give it a try. The team often wins, and the local competition with the Mets babies (the Brooklyn Cyclones with their nice place in Coney Island) is fun — sometimes they even run a special ferry between the two for their games.