• Wild Thought: Second Half Rotation Make-Over

Posted by on July 13th, 2009 · Comments (17)

With Chien-Ming Wang on the disabled list (for an unknown period) and Joba Chamberlain having issues performing under the requirements of taking a regular turn in the Yankees rotation, today’s wild thought suggests it’s time for Brian Cashman and Joe Girardi to make some changes to their pitching staff. And, here’s what we suggest changing:

1. Add Sergio Mitre to the 40-man roster by cutting Kevin Cash. And, once Mitre is on, promote him to the 25-man roster by optioning Mark Melancon to Triple-A.

2. Move Joba Chamberlain to the bullpen and replace him in the starting rotation with Sergio Mitre.

3. Drop Anthony Claggett from the 40-man roster and replace him with George Kontos. And, once Kontos is on, promote him to the 25-man roster by optioning David Robertson to Triple-A (or, if you can, by disabling Brian Bruney). Sure, some may be thinking here “What about Brett Tomko?” However, as crazy as it sounds, I would keep Tomko – for now – just to pitch in games where the score is out of hand.

4. Have George Kontos take Chien-Ming Wang’s place in the rotation until the latter is back from the disabled list. If Kontos has issues, then flip him with Alfredo Aceves (making Kontos a long-man in the pen) and allow “Ace” to fill in for Wang until he comes back.

5. If possible, try and acquire Cliff Lee via a trade with the Indians – and then give him Mitre’s or Kontos’ spot in the rotation – whichever one is pitching worse. (And, then you can cut Tomko to make room for Lee.)

If you had a chance to give the Yankees rotation a make-over for the second half of 2009, what would you do?

Update, 7/13/09 9:49 am ET: I just became aware that George Kontos is done for the season. (Thanks to WasWatching.com reader “yagottagotomo1″ for the heads-up on this news.)

O.K., simple enough – insert Ivan Nova for George Kontos on the plan above and go from there…six of one, half dozen of the other, as far as I am concerned. I only took Kontos over Nova since he was a little older and had some more Triple-A time under his belt…

Comments on Wild Thought: Second Half Rotation Make-Over

1. Pat F
      July 13th, 2009 | 8:39 am

definitely with you on mitre. would not go to kontos though. not only is that reactionary and an impediment to joba’s development after one (1) bad month, but the chances kontos can give you even the 3 month total production that joba gave the first half are low. also think aceves is more suited for the role he was in prior to his spot start, and think he should be almost completely out of the mix for any sort of rotation spot. he gives the bullpen an incredible amount of depth and versatility that they just will not be able to replace without him. he’s like joba/pettitte insurance. if he’s in the pen, we probably win one of those first two games in LA, and that’s no small thing.

2. yagottagotomo1
      July 13th, 2009 | 8:59 am

Pretty sure Kontos is injured. Furthermore, Pettitte has been worse than Joba, so I’m not sure I would replace Joba over him anyhow- the young guy is more likely to improve. I would call up Mitre and that is it. Keep the eyes open to try and get a solid starter, but not break the bank. Quite frankly, this team can make the playoffs, and they only really need one of Wang, Andy, and Joba to be pitching well as a starter once they get there.

3. yagottagotomo1
      July 13th, 2009 | 9:03 am

One question, Steve. If they gave up Joba, Romine, and Jackson for Halladay, and then gave Doc a 4 year extension at 20 M a year, would you be cool with that? I wouldn’t, but I was wondering where you stand.

4. Corey
      July 13th, 2009 | 9:27 am

mitre sounds like the cool guy to write in the rotation, but i think you guys are putting too much confidence in a guy who has yet to earn it…

@ yagottagotomo1:
      i kno it wasn’t addressed to me, but if it were hughes’ in joba’s place i sign for that.

5. Rich
      July 13th, 2009 | 9:29 am

yagottagotomo1 wrote:

Pretty sure Kontos is injured.

6. Pat F
      July 13th, 2009 | 9:34 am

i’d do it with joba slightly before i’d do it with hughes, but that’s almost inconsequential. if it’s joba/hughes + romine + jackson for halladay i’d do it in a second. halladay isn’t on some sort of swan song here, he’s burnett’s age and the best pitcher in baseball. part of the reason you develop prospects is to go get a guy like this if you can. i doubt the jays will trade him to the yanks, but if that deal was on the table our chances to win the WS this year outweights potential future production from those 3.

7. July 13th, 2009 | 9:48 am

Wow. Bummer on GK! Thanks for the heads-up. I missed that one.

8. cr1
      July 13th, 2009 | 9:53 am

I love getting more and more ace-type pitchers but am concerned that this is just not a well-managed team and wonder if adding more expensive parts to the mix will fix that. Discussion for another thread, though.

9. yagottagotomo1
      July 13th, 2009 | 10:14 am

I see people are for that trade. If it was just the prospects, I would consider it strongly. If it was just the money, I would do it. If they had not just sunk 40 million a year into the rotation, I would do it. But to give up the prospects, pay him huge money, and have 3 pitchers collectively making 65 million, that gives me pause. I wouldn’t be upset, but I would not be thrilled either. Also, let’s remember that Doc has a career ERA over 4 against Boston and LA I believe, and has never played a playoff game.

10. July 13th, 2009 | 10:31 am

yagottagotomo1 wrote:

Take Jackson out of it and I would consider it.

If you’re going to give them Joba and a solid prospect, I don’t think you should have to give them another “blue-chipper” in addition to that. Now, if you want to take Joba out of it, and replace him with someone like Zach M or Brackman – and then you had to include Jackson, I could probably live with that – and I stress probably…really would want to give it some more thought, for sure.

11. shaked
      July 13th, 2009 | 12:17 pm

@ Steve Lombardi:

Steve, If you’re thinking Joba/Hughes + Romine or ZMac/Brackman + Romine + AJax for Doc, what would you give up for Cliff Lee? I think he’s an interesting option, but I’m not sure what the Yanks would have to give up.

IMO, if Doc is going to cost Joba/Hughes + Romine + Jackson (he will), I’d say Cliff Lee is going to cost about the same. Maybe sub out Romine/Jackson for a Brackman/ZMac type. Not really sure though. Thoughts (floor’s open)?

12. yagottagotomo1
      July 13th, 2009 | 12:53 pm

@ shaked:
      Halladay is on a different level than Lee. Lee should not require Joba or Hughes, and if it does, the Yankees should walk. I would think Jackson, Romine, and McCallister for Lee would be the offer, and I’m not certain I would do it.

13. July 13th, 2009 | 12:58 pm

Part if the difference between dealing for Halladay and Lee, IMHO, is that J.P. in Toronto has his neck on the line with this move – because of past deals/failures – whereas Shapiro in C-town is considered a golden-boy and he does not have his job on the line.

So, in dealing with the Jays, you’re going to have to knock them over with a deal – sorta like the deal the Tribe got when they dealt Colon years ago. But, with Clevelend, in dealing for Lee, you might not have to offer a monster package – just a pretty good and fair one.

14. Scout
      July 13th, 2009 | 2:01 pm

If you are looking to add a league-average pitcher to eat innings at the back of the rotation, no need to pay the premium that Halladay or Lee would require. As the trade deadline approaches, some teams will decide to become sellers, and additional names will hit the market. In the meantime, it makes sense to test Mitre on the major-league level to see what the Yankees may already have.

Of course, Cashman may alreay be trying to pry Sidney Ponson from KC.

15. July 13th, 2009 | 3:05 pm

Scout wrote:

Of course, Cashman may alreay be trying to pry Sidney Ponson from KC.

LOL!

16. owine
      July 13th, 2009 | 9:21 pm

You could just put Nady on the 60-day DL for open a 40-man spot.

17. July 15th, 2009 | 11:32 pm

[...] Wild Thought: Second Half Rotation Make-Over / Derek Jeter’s Comeback [...]