• Oh, My, Gawd, The Rocket Is In The New House…But You’ll Have To Wait 20 Minutes

Posted by on July 15th, 2009 · Comments (7)

Via Mark Herrmann

A Yankees spokesman said Monday that the club is not commenting on the Stadium now, instead choosing to see how the rest of the season goes. Hal Steinbrenner, the managing general partner, recently did send out e-mails to some customers inviting them to meetings at the Stadium or Rockefeller Center, and “telling us how we are doing and how we can make the ‘Yankee Stadium Experience.’ ”

Bloggers have objected to relentless promotions on the public address system, the fact that Monument Park is basically hidden behind the centerfield fence and that the place just doesn’t have the electric feel that the building next door had. Visiting players have privately said the new Stadium is not as verbally intimidating as the old.

Well, the Yankees can choose to see how the rest of the season goes…but I can tell you that my personal count is (now) up to “five” different people telling me that they went to the Johnny Rockets stand at the new Stadium, during a game this season, and were told to come back in 20 minutes for their order. Considering that a baseball game is about 3 hours long, on average, for the Yankees, it seems a little silly to have a situation where fans have to order food and then come back, after a full inning, or so, has passed to actually get their order. Fans usually want their food when they order and pay for it. That’s not exactly “Rocket” science, is it?

Comments on Oh, My, Gawd, The Rocket Is In The New House…But You’ll Have To Wait 20 Minutes

1. copela26
      July 15th, 2009 | 2:36 am

On the other hand here is a place you can go if you want you food made when when you order it rather then sitting under heat lamps for a half an hour.

Now i havent been to the new stadium yet so i cant say what its like, but lets be honest the old stadium concourses were kinda a dumpy. they were way to cramped and took for ever to get though when they were crowded. additionally the bleachers (where a lot of broke college kids like myself sat) were segregated from the rest of the stadium which was pretty awful. I had a uncle of mine who had visited over 20 stadiums the past several years tell me the old stadium was one of the worst. The whole sense of “intimidation” came from it being the place where greats like ruth, yogi and gherig played, which obviously cant be replicated in the new one. while i cant speak for the new one i think its important to remember that besides the feeling of history the old stadium wasn’t really the most pleasant place to catch a game.

2. Evan3457
      July 15th, 2009 | 5:01 am

I still like the new stadium.

I had a Johnny Rocket burger during one of my visits. It wasn’t great, but it didn’t suck, either.

I like the Carl’s Cheesteak. It’s great being able to get Nathan’s Fries at the Stadium, although you pay double what you would at your local neighborhood Nathan’s if you have one.

I’ve also eaten at the Hard Rock Cafe there. The food was OK, but overpriced, of course.

I’ve also eaten at the NYY Steakhouse. Ironically enough, it may be the best “bargain” in the place. For slightly more than an upper-scale chain like Ruth’s Kris or Morton’s, you get a first-rate steak. (My typical meal at Ruth’s Kris, which I go to perhaps 3 or 4 times a year, costs about $65. The meal at NYY steakhouse; French onion soup, filet mignon, baked potato, dessert, and a couple of sodas, was a little less than $75 at NYY Steak. The quality of all the food was top-notch, and the preparation of the steak was spot on. I asked for butterflied-medium, and it was butterflied-medium rare, which is exactly how I like it.)

July 15th, 2009 | 7:58 am

Haven’t been to the new place yet, and when I do the food choices will probably mean little to me. I’ve been to Johnny Rockets, and it’s nothing special IMO.

I don’t have a dog in this fight, I’m not that interested in stadium food availability. Mainly because I’m a cheapskate 😀

4. Corey
      July 15th, 2009 | 9:16 am

Raf wrote:

totally agree with everything there, eat before or after

5. G.I. Joey
      July 15th, 2009 | 12:10 pm

Griping about the new stadium is by far my favorite topic to comment on, but I’ll limit myself to the food situation. After 24 trips to the House that Greed Built, I can honestly say that I have far more bad experiences with concessions than good ones and the situation seems to be getting worse. I refused to eat at the stadium my last 8 games and will continue the boycott for the rest of the season. Despite the fact that there are concessions every 10 feet, there continues to be an average of 15-20 minute waits for food during game time. There are at least 2-3 employees doing nothing behind almost every counter and it’s the worst at the Johnny Rockets.

In regards to Carl’s, the cheesesteaks are great, but are hardly worth the $10.75 and I find it odd that the provolone option mysteriously dissappeared after the first week of the season.

6. Corey
      July 15th, 2009 | 12:22 pm

@ G.I. Joey:
      sorry to hear about the waits, i didn’t have that problem the 2 times i went to the stadium this year.

7. G.I. Joey
      July 15th, 2009 | 12:33 pm

Corey wrote:

@ G.I. Joey:

The waits have probably happened to me about 50% of the time when I was still eating at the stadium, which I guess isn’t that bad. I guess I set my expectations pretty high when reading about the “wonders” of this 1 billion + stadium before it opened.