• July 20th vs. The Orioles

Posted by on July 20th, 2009 · Comments (12)

Wow.

I’m still working on some research for this one…

…but, when you consider Pettitte’s effort this evening, the two defensive plays in the 8th, and the Matsui walk-off in the 9th…well…had this been a World Series game in a series where the team that won this game won the series…hey…they’d probably talk about this game for the next 50 years. For a fan of the home team, can you really ask for more from a ballgame?

Since man first set foot on the moon forty years ago today, maybe we should send a tape of this one into outer space and use it as an example of “baseball” for the rest of the universe to watch and learn. Sound good John Henry?

Update 7/20/09 10:38 pm ET: This is the first time, ever, going back to 1954 that the Yankees have won three games in a row by the score of “2-1.” Also, it’s just the 11th time since 1954 that the Yankees have won 3+ games in a row in the same season where they have allowed exactly one run in each contest. The other times:

1984-07-13 to 1984-07-15
    1978-09-26 to 1978-09-29
    2006-04-22 to 2006-04-25
    1998-06-03 to 1998-06-05
    1986-04-22 to 1986-04-24
    1978-05-21 to 1978-05-23
    1975-06-23 to 1975-06-25
    1970-06-04 to 1970-06-06
    1962-08-31 to 1962-09-02
    1961-06-11 to 1961-06-12

Update 7/20/09 10:56 pm ET: This is the first time since July 11, 1991 to July 13, 1991 that the Yankees have scored exactly 2 runs in a game, for three games in a row, and won all three games. In fact, this current streak and the one from July 1991 are the only two times, since 1954, where the Yankees have scored exactly 2 runs for three games in a row and won all three games.

Update 7/20/09 11:07 pm ET: Oh, and, by the way, the Yankees are now tied for first place in the A.L. East – thank you, Texas Rangers.

Comments on July 20th vs. The Orioles

1. MJ
      July 20th, 2009 | 10:35 pm

Awesome! Andy Pettitte pitched his butt off, the defense was sparkling (how ’bout that Teixeira 3-6-3 DP in the 6th?!) and Godzilla made it a sweet night with his blast in the 9th.

I’m a little bit concerned that the Yanks can’t seem to score runs right now (11 runs in 4 games since the ASB) but winning is all that matters so as long as the W’s pile up, I am NOT COMPLAINING!

Go Yanks!

2. MJ
      July 20th, 2009 | 10:38 pm

PS – Not to gloat (because I agreed with the signing) but it’s gratifying to see Smoltz getting his ass handed to him as an 81-year old in the AL East. As much as I wish the Yanks had signed him, I’m happy to see him getting lit up for Boston right now.

3. July 20th, 2009 | 10:50 pm

MJ – I had the tickets for this game and gave them to my father-in-law. So, he deserves some good luck charm credit! ;-)

4. Tresh Fan
      July 20th, 2009 | 11:24 pm

Yankees Are Tied For First!

Just thought you should know

5. July 20th, 2009 | 11:33 pm

Tresh Fan wrote:

Yankees Are Tied For First!
      Just thought you should know

Yup, it’s now a 70-game season in the AL East….

6. Evan3457
      July 21st, 2009 | 12:29 am

I was at this one (Terrace Suite. Sec. 319)…

What a grinder…whew…

Yanks pitchers seemed to be in trouble from the 5th inning on, and the offense shut down cold after Hinske’s HR in the 2nd. I kept waiting for one of the good young hitters in the O’s lineup to drop the hammer on Andy….or Coke…or Ace…but they never did.

And then Godzilla awoke from his slumber and laid waste to the Orioles’ hopes for victory….

Got to see my first AJ’s Famous Cream Pie in person… :)

7. Scout
      July 21st, 2009 | 7:33 am

Excellent pitching and tight defense will keep you in every game.

8. MJ
      July 21st, 2009 | 9:14 am

Steve Lombardi wrote:

Awesome! Tell your father-in-law that I congratulate him on a job well done!!

9. MJ
      July 21st, 2009 | 9:16 am

Yup, it’s now a 70-game season in the AL East….
      ———
      Courtesy of ESPN.com, the Yankees have a 41-22 record, the best in MLB, since A-Rod came back on May 8.

I’m not saying it’s A-Rod’s doing, just pointing out that the Yanks have been — on balance — a very good team since early May.

10. Pat F
      July 21st, 2009 | 9:31 am

MJ wrote:
      ———

excellent point. of course, it hasn’t been all him, but his production has been huge, especially considering how “cLuTCh!1!!” he’s been. but baseball is a team game more than many give it credit for, leaning more towards it being a math equation these days. just not the case. getting a player like alex rodriguez back in the lineup goes beyond his individual production. it makes the lineup deeper, making the opposing pitchers work harder to get through 1-9. it takes pressure off everyone else in the lineup. it takes pressure off yankee pitching, knowing all the more that with him that if they give up a 2 or 3 spot earrly the lineup is plenty strong enough to get back in with 1 or 2 swings. the list goes on. but the point is that, even if the yankees aren’t scoring more runs with him in the lineup (i have no idea if they are or aren’t), they are better in ways that aren’t totally quantifiable with him than without him. this should be obvious to all, but it isn’t always.

11. G.I. Joey
      July 21st, 2009 | 12:26 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

I also gave my tickets away for this game after being burnt out from going to all the games this past weekend. On one hand I hate missing walk-offs, but it’s always nice to give someone tickets to a game with a dramatic finish.

12. Evan3457
      July 21st, 2009 | 3:40 pm

Pat F wrote:

MJ wrote:

I don’t suggest you try to convince those who consider A-Rod a choke of that, after all, he was caught looking with runners at 1st and 3rd and 1 out in the 1st last night. :)

Every time he has a bad AB in a clutch spot, they’ll still come howling after him. Until they win a title with him. That’s just the way it is.