• Perry: Yanks Need Another SP

Posted by on July 22nd, 2009 · Comments (10)

Dayn Perry asks “What does each contender need?

And, for the Yankees, he says:

In the Yankee rotation, CC Sabathia and A.J. Burnett have met expectations, but elsewhere problems abound. Andy Pettitte’s ERA is bound for the 5.00 mark, Joba Chamberlain is headed in the wrong direction, Chien-Ming Wang has alternated between terrible and injured, and Sergio Mitre is, well, Sergio Mitre. Obviously, an addition like Halladay would be the ideal solution for the Yankees, but even someone who can give them league-average innings at the back end would be a serious boon to their hopes.

What do you think?

Comments on Perry: Yanks Need Another SP

1. dpk875
      July 22nd, 2009 | 12:43 pm

What about Cliff Lee, he leads the league in innings, and is cheaper than Halladay. I would still love the see the Yanks go after Halladay, but I doubt they will ever pay the price that Toronto is going to ask for.

2. MJ
      July 22nd, 2009 | 3:02 pm

I agree with Perry that Pettitte, Chamberlain and Mitre leave a lot to be desired. I’d love for the Yanks to add another starter but I know that deals will be hard to come by.

Cliff Lee ain’t going anywhere in 2009. The Indians would be creating a market for him right now as a cheaper alternative to the Halladay suitors and the fact that they haven’t tells me that they’ll hold onto him until next year.

3. nettles
      July 22nd, 2009 | 3:02 pm

It may not be quite as dire as Perry opines. I’m still willing to bet Joba gets it figured out this season. His last outing was a vast improvement over his previous efforts. And, if I’m not mistaken, Andy is traditionally better in the second half of the season, no? Still, filling the CMW spot is a big need. Price is too high for Halladay; Lee could be a good fit.

4. G.I. Joey
      July 22nd, 2009 | 3:12 pm

Bringing in an ace via a fire sale of the farm system to address problems with the bottom of the rotation is hardly an “ideal solution” IMO. There has to be a better way.

5. MJ
      July 22nd, 2009 | 3:23 pm

———
      I wish I shared your optimism on these two points. Joba’s most recent start was great but it hardly erases his inconsistency throughout this season. While he may yet become a great starter in the future, I think that eventuality is very much in doubt for the remainder of 2009.

As for Pettitte, he’s been so bad this year (save for his first three starts in April) that I don’t think it matters that he’s always been a second-half pitcher. He stunk in the second half of last year, with the blame going to an injury he didn’t report (or undersold the severity of). Considering his poor performance has carried over from June 2008, I am simply wondering if he’s reaching the end of the line.

Supposing for a second that you’re right and I’m wrong, neither Pettitte nor Joba is still so formidable as to erase my doubts for the playoffs.

6. ken
      July 22nd, 2009 | 4:26 pm

A league-average starter who could be obtained with no pain (players or $$$) in the back end is all we need. If he turns into surplus then he can be the long reliever that we don’t have. Though it is a bit sad to say so, a Cory Lidle-type pitcher would be perfect.

7. Evan3457
      July 22nd, 2009 | 4:29 pm

Pitchers of that type who might be available: Doug Davis, Kevin Correia, Oliver Perez (just kidding), Brian Bannister. Not too much of that around until more teams decide that they’re sellers.

8. Scout
      July 22nd, 2009 | 4:50 pm

Yes, a guy who can go deep into games and keep his ERA around 4.5 would help stabilize the rotation. The problem is that after No. 2 (Burnett, who has done everything the Yankees might have expected), the starting staff has been very inconsistent, and it is reasonable to expect that to continue. Wang was mostly awful before he got hurt and cannot be counted on. With the price too high for either Halladay or Lee, help for the back end of the rotation would be prudent. Other teams will become sellers as the deadline approaches.

9. redbug
      July 22nd, 2009 | 6:08 pm

MJ Says

_________________________________________________________________

Andy’s last start vs Balt was a dandy – into the 8th, only 1 ER.

Assuming he’s not hurting, I can see him winning another 8 as he done so far. 15, 16 wins, I’ll take.

10. jeter96
      July 22nd, 2009 | 7:25 pm

If Pettitte is my #4 starter for the playoffs and Joba runs out of innings. Then we’d need a #3 starter desperately.

Where is 2005 Shawn Chacon when you need him