• July 24th vs. The A’s

Posted by on July 24th, 2009 · Comments (9)

With this win, the Yankees have become the first team in baseball history to win its first 8 games after the All-Star for two years in a row.

Then again, last season, after they won their 8th straight game following the break, New York went on a slide where they lost 13 of their next 19 games.

Yikes…let’s hope that doesn’t also happen for two years in a row.

The biggest story from this game? For me, it has to be Joba Chamberlain posting a Game Score of 72 – pitching on “normal” (4-days) rest. In the 14 career starts that he’s had before this one, while pitching on “normal” rest, the highest Game Score Joba has ever posted was a “70″ on April 29th of this season. And, that was the only time, in his career to date, before this game, where Chamberlain had a Game Score over 62 when pitching on 4-days rest.

So, was tonight a fluke, or a sign of things to come for Joba? Time will tell…

In any event, I still wish Chamberlain would not act like he just won a free ride on the orgasmatron with Angelina Jolie when he gets a strikeout in a big spot. Really Joba, next time you get someone on strikes, act like you’ve done it before…

Comments on July 24th vs. The A’s

1. dpk875
      July 25th, 2009 | 1:22 am

If Joba needs to show emotion to pitch well, then I have no problem with it. He said that he was not having any fun the first half of the season, don’t mess with success.

2. Janks-n-Jints
      July 25th, 2009 | 6:22 am

If he feels it’s a benefit to him, I don’t care if he goes Kenny Powers on their asses.

3. cr1
      July 25th, 2009 | 7:02 am

If Joba needed to show his emotions when pitching then we would sometimes see him burst into tears or fall to the ground kicking and screaming.

He shows his emotion only when he thinks he’s doing well.

That’s called triumphalism.

Better known as showing off.

For most people it goes away as they grow up.

4. clintfsu813
      July 25th, 2009 | 8:37 am

LoL Janks..You’re F-ing out! I know alot has been said about us beating up on lesser teams, but IIRC alot was said last year about us missing the playoffs because we didnt beat these teams.

5. redbug
      July 25th, 2009 | 9:35 am

I don’t like the fist-pumping. Neither do the batters, I’m sure. He’s even done it after a strike-out while he’s losing the game.

I much prefer the way Mo goes about his buisness. He let’s the fans cheer him. He doesn’t feel the need to cheer for himself.

Joba needs to grow up.

6. clintfsu813
      July 25th, 2009 | 10:17 am

It bothers me that we’re even discussing this. We just won 8 in a row. We’re pitching and hitting great. I doubt Sox fans debate about Papeldongs celebrating. They probably relish the win and look to the next game. Not a bad idea.

July 25th, 2009 | 10:42 am

I thought we wanted guys with “fire” and “intensity” that showed they “care”

8. shaked
      July 25th, 2009 | 11:39 am

Raf wrote:

I thought we wanted guys with “fire” and “intensity” that showed they “care”

Raf, clearly you’re mistaken. Joba’s celebrations are PERSONAL. We want a TEAM with “fire” and “intensity.” Joba is selfish and doesn’t care about winning. Did you see him fist-pump when he was losing? What nerve! It is obvious to me that Joba only cares about padding his own stats. He knew he couldn’t lose the game so he threw at Mark Ellis just for fun. He’s not a gamer.

I don’t understand the hatred for Joba’s “antics.” He shows emotion when he does what he’s trying to do. He rises to the occasion. I know for one that I cheer my ass off when the team does something great. Should this be allowed? I show a lot of emotion. Hell, Steve, you’ve said on numerous occasions that you “live and die” with this team (mood-wise). Maybe you shouldn’t. It’s just a game after all. Act like you’ve been through playoff push before (not just directed at you).

Would I prefer that Joba just walk off the mound like Mo? Sure. Would I prefer he walk off the mound in the first inning after giving up 8 runs because he’s trying to be more like Mo?

9. July 25th, 2009 | 12:21 pm

Around the ASB, I heard Tony LaRussa – not one of my favs, for the record – talking about Prince Albert…saying that he plays the game the right way, win or lose. And, by this, he meant that A.P. doesn’t show up the opponent when he’s killing them…

Then, LaRussa brought up Torre’s Yankees of the ’90′s and said that’s why so many people respected those teams – because they were kicking ass all season, and in October, and never rubbed it in the faces of the other teams.

Joba needs to learn this, IMHO.