• July 25th vs. The A’s

Posted by on July 25th, 2009 · Comments (8)

For a few minutes, in the bottom of the ninth, it looked like some Yankees magic was coming today…but…in the end…no deal.

Two bad moves cost the Yankees this game:

1. Joe Girardi allowing Andy Pettitte to face Rajai Davis in the seventh inning.

2. Alfredo Aceves giving up that hit to Landon Powell in the seventh inning, with 2 outs, on an 0-2 count.

Well, at least Paul O’Neill and Al Leiter had some really good banter going today in the YES booth during the broadcast…

Comments on July 25th vs. The A’s

1. Scout
      July 25th, 2009 | 4:26 pm

I was yelling at the tV when Girardi decided to leave Pettitte in the game in the 7th, but for some reason the manager wasn’t listening to me. Have to check the speaker at his end.

2. ken
      July 25th, 2009 | 5:27 pm

Yup. Those were the key moments. I’ll add one more: the leadoff double in the 7th. I had a real bad feeling when that happened.

And I’m not a believer in Aceves yet. Felt that way even before today. For him or any guy considered reliable in the late innings, I always ask myself: “How would this guy do up by one run in the 8th inning facing the top/middle of the Red Sox’ order?” Right now, only Hughes does it for me. Bruney did before his injury. Coke as a LOOGY perhaps. Aceves is not quite there yet. I can’t eplain this but I might put Robertson above Aceves in that order. Maybe it’s body language?

3. Corey
      July 25th, 2009 | 6:58 pm

Sucks for Pettitte, he pitched a hell of a ball game today.

4. #15
      July 25th, 2009 | 9:22 pm

Poor fundamentals in the ninth. Two on, no out, Jorge has to be bunting. Move the runners over and have two shots to get ‘em in from second and third.

5. JeremyM
      July 25th, 2009 | 9:35 pm

I disagree, Posada is too good of a hitter for that. It’s risky since he is prone to GIDPs (as shown), but what’s the point of having a catcher that can hit if he doesn’t attempt to do so? I might agree if they were only down by a run or tied.

Have to pin most of the blame for this one on Aceves. But it’s nice that the Yanks go down battling. The bad news is that Tampa had a big comeback and won, and Boston is winning big right now as well. Have to win tomorrow and thus win the series.

July 25th, 2009 | 10:13 pm

You hate to lose a game like that. Alas, just means the Yanks have to start a new streak tomorrow :D

7. ken
      July 25th, 2009 | 11:27 pm

Sergio and the Yankees need to win on Sunday. Sox will probably beat the O’s and then we play in Tampa while the Sox are home v. the A’s. If we give back the lead too quicly then it looks like a fluke. Would especially not want to head into the next Sox series down by a few games. Would only add more pressure.

8. Evan3457
      July 26th, 2009 | 12:28 am

I don’t know whether not bunting Posada in the 9th is right or wrong, but I would like to point out that he has only one sac bunt on his entire major league record…

…12 years ago, in 1997.