• July 27th @ The Rays

Posted by on July 27th, 2009 · Comments (39)

O.K., be honest, were you a little nervous about this one when it was 5-1, Yanks, in the sixth, when the Rays had runners on first and third, with no outs, and Evan Longoria at the plate?

O.K., how about during the eighth inning, when it was 7-3, Yanks, when the Rays had runners on first and second, albeit with two outs, and Carlos Pena at the plate? Were you nervous then?

Com’on…be honest.

Well, I was nervous in the eighth, for sure. But, New York got out of that one and then blew the game open in the ninth. Good thing, too – since the Rays came out swinging in the ninth as well.

The Yanks had 22 baserunners in 9 innings during this one. But, even with all those great At Bats, I’m going with A.J. Burnett as the star of this game – as he was all you could hope for in a big game like this one. A very impressive win for Brian Cashman’s eighty-two-point-five million dollar man. And, a great game for the Yankees to win – given the opponent, location, standings and calendar.

Comments on July 27th @ The Rays

1. Tresh Fan
      July 28th, 2009 | 12:27 am

How about in the 9th inning when Burrell homered and the next batter singled to make it 11-4 with the potential 6th run in the on deck circle—weren’t you just sweating bullets then?

2. July 28th, 2009 | 12:29 am

Nah, I knew, by then, that the dress was in the bag.

3. Pat F
      July 28th, 2009 | 12:36 am

i’m happy we don’t have to worry about the wild thought of getting swept!

16 homers and 53 rbi from right field, and much, much more importantly the 8th spot in the order. while not the only stats, certainly two important/productive ones, and two that not many other, if any teams are getting from that spot in the order. this offense is serious right now.

4. Scout
      July 28th, 2009 | 6:40 am

I never suffered a moment of nerves, but that could be because I went to sleep after the top of the 8th with the Yankees up 7-1. I suppose that counts as cheating….

5. Garcia
      July 28th, 2009 | 7:47 am

How come even the good things that Cashman does are put in negative light? I understand that it’s the absolute unequivocal truth that Cashman has the most money and resources, do we really need to be reminded after every win?

I’m not a big Cashman defender either, the guy has a litany of bad moves, but this year’s acquisitions and the way the farm and the younger players are contributing, could it be that he finally figured it out or is it just a perfect storm? We don’t know yet, let’s wait to see how it all plays out.

So if the Yanks win today, will we have to hear about CC’s total salary? do we not know that he gets paid a lot already? You’ve even developed a detente for Hughes and A-Rod.

6. clintfsu813
      July 28th, 2009 | 7:53 am

CC has been good..but AJ is our ace right now.

7. Rich
      July 28th, 2009 | 8:14 am

Cashman’s good moves outweigh the bad ones. Granted, the Yankees may be the only team in MLB that could sign Teix, CC, and AJ, but Cash is the one who convinced Hal that forbearing on signing Teix could result in him going to the RS. That would have been a disaster. So the lesson of this offseason is that the Yankees need to be in a position to sign any great player, who is still in his prime, that reaches free agency. That should be possible because the luxury tax (aka the Yankee tax), prevents most great players from reaching free agency.

8. dave24s
      July 28th, 2009 | 8:24 am

Steve, I’ve been a fan of your site for a very long time now, even after the format changes that rendered me unable to view the site on my cell phone. But it’s cool.

But, you wonder why your viewership has gone down?

The Yankees are playing the best they have in years. Granted, they haven’t beaten the Sox yet this season, but you can say that a few of those losses were products of circumstance and not just poor play. But they own the second best record in baseball, are 10-1 since the break, and have shown the ability to stay in any game until it’s over.

At some point you gotta stop and say, hey, this is a pretty good team.

9. MJ
      July 28th, 2009 | 8:28 am

AJ was the man last night. I really enjoy watching him pitch and he’s been a lot better than I ever imagined or gave him credit for.

10. MJ
      July 28th, 2009 | 8:31 am

——–
      I’m not sure I see what Burnett’s salary has to do with it. Do you bring up the fact that Derek Jeter makes $21M this year every time he gets a hit?

11. Corey
      July 28th, 2009 | 9:42 am

Scared? nah. i wanted to hop on a flight to tampa and smack the crap out of cano last night tho. WTF is he doing not running hard into 2nd and putting his arms up in a wtf-type manner? Is he not a professional? If i were the skip, he’d be ridin the pine today.

12. YankCrank
      July 28th, 2009 | 9:43 am

It’s just such a great time to be a Yankee fan. It seems like the Yankees win every time they step on the field, and even when they’re behind you get that feeling that they’re going to claw back into it.

Although Burnett was nasty, my favorite part of the game was how they just buried the Rays. Every time they put hits together and chipped away at the lead, the Yanks came back and just buried them. Two jacks from Swish and Damon’s game-ending blast were just what we needed to keep Hughes and Mo out of the game. Keep it up boys.

Btw, whenever Swish is a free agent the Rays may want to think about picking him up. He just destroys the ball in that park.

13. clintfsu813
      July 28th, 2009 | 9:53 am

——————————————————————————————————————-
      Yea he does. I went to two games there earlier this year and he hit HR’s in both. So, while you guys had to “labor” through another game called by Kay, I had the joy of watching the game on mute. Thats because down her in Tallahassee, I could only get Rays announcers. Every time the Yankees take the lead, they break out the Pitty Party and whine like little bitches about our salary. They had no problem with it last year, by the way. The radio guys are a little better, but I get bad service at my house. Hope you guys enjoy Kay again tonight..i’ll be watching the game on mute with a little Coldplay on in the background. Go Yanks!

14. Tcarda4
      July 28th, 2009 | 10:16 am

Its true, the rays announcers are the absolute worst in the league and are unabashed yankee haters. Ive never herad people publicly whine and complain and make excuses for every single thing that happens than the Rays announcers. Only other ones close to this bad are the Rangers announcers. I actually think its a tie for who is the worst.

Also….
      “But, you wonder why your viewership has gone down?”

Shouldnt be hard to figure out. This site offers nothing but negativity and depression. Any yankee fan in this stretch who is worried when up 5-0 or 7-3 is being ridiculous. I do sometimes still check this site, as you can see, but mostly i use it for the links on the side to OTHER yankee blogs. Keep up the good work. I guarantee other people arent as patient as me.

15. Tcarda4
      July 28th, 2009 | 10:18 am

In fact if it was discovered you were a closet red sox fan doing this blog, i wouldnt even blink.

July 28th, 2009 | 10:58 am

Tcarda4 wrote:

This site offers nothing but negativity and depression.

I dunno about all that; I’ve been here since the beginning, and it seems you get a mix of positivity, negativity, “realness” and pop culture. Some humor too, as evidenced in the Afterman entry…

July 28th, 2009 | 11:03 am

The nervousness deals with the TB offense ability to come back, along with the Yankees bullpen. They’re just like the Yanks and Red Sox in that it doesn’t take them much or that long to get back into a game.

The game against the A’s two days ago, was anyone nervous that Girardi went to Bruney instead of Rivera in the 8th? I know I remarked to my friend that Girardi was trying to give away the game by going to Bruney.

18. G.I. Joey
      July 28th, 2009 | 11:07 am

Tcarda4 wrote:

Just b/c you might get worried in those situations doesn’t mean you are necessarily being ridiculous but rather you respect the bats of Pena and Longoria.

19. Steve Lombardi
      July 28th, 2009 | 11:19 am

Raf wrote:

Thanks Raf. Your summary hits my goal right on the mark.

But, some people only see what they want to see, and ignore all else – which is funny, because, very often, that’s exactly what they are accusing me of…when they say I’m only seeing the negative.

There’s a black kettle joke in there…but, I’m not sure some would get it. ;-)

20. MJ
      July 28th, 2009 | 11:25 am

I could only get Rays announcers
      ————-
      @clintfsu813

Who are the Rays radio and TV guys?

21. butchie22
      July 28th, 2009 | 11:26 am

Raf wrote:

Tcarda4 wrote:
      This site offers nothing but negativity and depression.

I agree BUT Steve keeps it real. He doesn’t sugarcoat things and I appreciate that. Tcarda it might be that when you listen to homers like Sterling, Kay , and Waldman you might think the Yanks are the only team in the world. Or other blogs might be homerish beyond belief. with Steve, he has a cynical edge at times but it is more realistic than someone who acts like everything is peachy and keen and Brainless Cash Man is wonderful etc so on!

Funny, too with this Minaya mess , how unhomerish SNY is compared to YES . Verducci was shown the door at YES because he criticized the Yankees…God forbid! I’m glad that they rip the Mets on their own network to give it balance. I also like to see the Mets get brutalized anyway ! Levine also wanted Mike and the Mad Dog off because Chris used to rip the Yanks to shreds. But I give props for having independent voices on SNY. AS much as a carnival the Mets currently are,SNY doesn’t obscure that but reveals that and I like that. aNd for those who think, I’m being unfair to YES NESN seems like television from the old Soviet Union! Talk about homerish, they make YES look like the most objective sports channel in the world.

Speaking of which,Garcia, Cash Man’s good outweighs his bad? Unh? Pavano, Igawa, Wright, Karsay, some would say Johnson, Kevin Brown, Weaver are only the tip of the iceberg on his flops. So far, so good with CC and AJ. Bringing up the price of the free agents is just being honest regarding their payroll. The Yankees spend the most on free agents and quite frankly, will be targets because of that.

22. July 28th, 2009 | 11:29 am

G.I. Joey wrote:

Which is exactly what I was doing/thinking there. Thanks for confirming that someone else gets it.

23. July 28th, 2009 | 11:33 am

MJ wrote:

Who are the Rays radio and TV guys?

24. clintfsu813
      July 28th, 2009 | 11:41 am

@ Steve Lombardi:

If someone could then contact them and tell them to suck it…that is all.

25. YankCrank
      July 28th, 2009 | 11:43 am

Funny, too with this Minaya mess , how unhomerish SNY is compared to YES
      ——

I think this is an unfair comparison, butch. I see what you’re saying, but I think if Cashman continuously displayed no public relations skills like Minaya has done, he would hear about it too…whether it were YES, NESN, SYN or ESPN.

Also, maybe some of you would disagree and would like to offer their input, but the Yankees don’t owe it to anybody to be unbiased when it comes to Yankee games or Yankee-related matter. The Yankees own YES and it’s their local broadcasting network, they can portray the game any way they’d like as long as it reaches their intended audience of Yankee fans and keep them happy. NESN is the same way, so are the annoying ChiSox announcers who scream “Yes!” with every home run or out, and if the Mets were a winning team and weren’t tearing apart at the seams of their organization, they would be homers too. That’s what regional networks are and why they exist, to make watching the home team easier and more enjoyable.

It’s more up to ESPN and FOX Sports to be completely fair, balanced and unbiased because they represent the leagues they broadcast, not a specific team. I think it’s unfair to criticize YES for shining the Yankees in a good light.

26. clintfsu813
      July 28th, 2009 | 11:47 am

so are the annoying ChiSox announcers who scream “Yes!”
      ——————————————————————————————————————-
      When they say..”He Gone”, I wanna vomit!

27. YankCrank
      July 28th, 2009 | 11:51 am

so are the annoying ChiSox announcers who scream “Yes!”
      ——————————————————————————————————————-
      When they say..”He Gone”, I wanna vomit!
      ——

Me too! Everything about those guys makes me want to kick a puppy in the face…but what matters is the White Sox community of fans love it, and if Michael Kay screams “See Ya!” a little louder when a Yankee hits a home run, than he shouldn’t be shit on for being a homer. He’s a broadcaster, for the Yankees, for the Yankees regional sports network.

28. clintfsu813
      July 28th, 2009 | 11:55 am

——————————————————————————————————————-
      We all know ESPN has no bias towards Boston whatsoever right…Right? (Dripping with sarcasm, BTW)

29. Tcarda4
      July 28th, 2009 | 11:56 am

Maybe i exaggerate when i say thats ALL you get from this site. But its what stands out the most and in THIS situation when the team is playing like it has, its ridiculous to constantly focus on the negative side of things. I just saw your ‘what if’ post…the fact that you think of that and share it with everyone is not being realistic or being critical, its being negative and its somewhat childish. Think about it, the yankees go 9-1 on the homestand and your reply is ‘What if they lose these next 3 in Tampa’….its almost like youre hoping for a disaster so you have more to complain about. And about sterling waldman and kay, trust me i dislike them all very much and avoid listening to radio broadcasts at all costs. I can deal with Kay on Yes when Cone or Oneill are in the booth. Singleton and Leiter frustrate me too. The Yankees just won a big game against an important opponent (does this win count? i know wins vs baltimore and oakland apparently dont) and you will nitpick to find a negative. You wont mention swisher today, but you will tomorrow if he makes even the slightest mistake.

Im as big of a realist as there is, and the reality is the yankees are playing better baseball in an extended stretch than they have since….hmmmm when would you say? The team right now is as good as its been since… i think multiple years is a safe bet, to be vague. If i was calling you out for being negative in April, i would accept your criticism back, because i wouldnt be realistic to avoid criticism of a bad team. But when the team goes out and plays the way you want them to, it might be time to lighten up and realize your act IS pushing readers away.

30. Tcarda4
      July 28th, 2009 | 12:07 pm

and about the broadcasters on regional networks, i dont have a problem with THEM being homers, as someone above mentioned. But when they whine and complain and start saying things like, Well the yankees should be playing like this they spend almost 500 million this offseason, its amateur. I live in FL and watch the games on the Extra innings package, which usually means i get the home team broadcast. Texas announcers are the biggest homers (and ChiSox, i always forget them) but no announcers complain and sound worse than the Rays announcers. I get in arguments with “Marlins fans” (they dont realllllly exist) that if it wasnt for teams like the yankees boston and the mets spending money, the marlins wouldnt even still be a franchise and wouldnt be building a new ballpark that will FAIL anyway!!!

31. Garcia
      July 28th, 2009 | 12:08 pm

Butchie, can you re-read what I posted and tell me where I said THAT?

32. YankCrank
      July 28th, 2009 | 12:12 pm

Tcard, I have no problem with you not liking the Texas, ChiSox or Rays announcers. I also dislike them.

My point was, as it’s natural to dislike them for their pro-team spin, it’s their job to make the game experience more enjoyable for their in-market fans. If the Rays announcers think like Rays fans, and complain about the Yankees money, than that’s ok for them. We won’t like them, but Rays fans will relate.

33. clintfsu813
      July 28th, 2009 | 12:14 pm

——————————————————————————————————————-
      I agree..it bothers me to no end, but I’m sure all 5 of the Rays fans love it.

34. Tcarda4
      July 28th, 2009 | 12:16 pm

OK good point. but its drives me crazy haha. I just think theres a better, more grown up/big boy way to go about it than actually whining during the broadcast. But you are right, i see your point

35. July 28th, 2009 | 12:17 pm

clintfsu813 wrote:

but I’m sure all 5 of the Rays fans love it.

LOL!

36. clintfsu813
      July 28th, 2009 | 12:17 pm

@ Tcarda4:
      If they’re trying to get me to tune out…its working, lol.

37. YankCrank
      July 28th, 2009 | 12:20 pm

—–

I also see your point, as i’ve heard countless times from many baseball fans that any amount of Yankee success should be thrown out the window because it’s expected with their payroll. It’s annoying. Did the Rays win a bigger, shiner and more valuable AL Championship trophy last year because they made it to the World Series with a lower payroll than most of baseball? No, it’s all the same.

38. YankCrank
      July 28th, 2009 | 12:21 pm

I agree..it bothers me to no end, but I’m sure all 5 of the Rays fans love it.
      —–

Haha! All 5 fans and all 5 of their cowbells, right?

39. clintfsu813
      July 28th, 2009 | 12:25 pm

@ YankCrank:
      Dont get me started on the cowbells. And I dont know if they got a shinier ring, but their first home game vs NYY..which I attended..they took about an hour to give EVERYONE a ring.