• Lamster On New Yank Stadium & CitiField

Posted by on July 27th, 2009 · Comments (15)

I’m a week late to the party on this, but, in case you missed it, check out Mark Lamster’s feature on the two new ballparks in New York. It’s a very interesting read. Here’s a snip:

When I first started attending games on my own, some 20 years ago, a ticket to the Yankee bleachers cost $1.50, pocket change even for a kid on a tight allowance. That same ticket now costs $14: not an unreasonable sum, but more than a movie and enough to keep a student on a limited budget from making it too much of a habit. The new stadium, for that matter, doesn’t beg that kind of relationship. It’s a special-occasion place, somewhere to visit a couple of times a season. Why empty your wallet for an entertainment event that might not be entertaining? (Even the best teams lose roughly 40 percent of their games.) When you’re stuck in the nosebleed seats, and a beer, a dog, and a bag of peanuts cost upward of 20 bucks, thoughts of exploitation inevitably percolate through the mind. It is in those moments that the fan-team compact seems hopelessly broken, and one begins to wonder about the difference between being a fan and being a chump. Sometimes it seems like there’s no difference at all.

When Mark says that the new Yankee Stadium is “a special-occasion place, somewhere to visit a couple of times a season,” I believe that he’s dead-on with that one.

And, that’s sad. Me? In a perfect world, I would go to Yankee Stadium about nine times a season. And, I would want to bring my wife and kids with me at least half of those times. But, today, I cannot afford to do that.

It was possible in the 1970′s, 1980′s and 1990′s. Heck, it was even possible in 2001. But, today? No – not at all. Shame. I hope the Yankees realize what they’re doing here…squeezing out the diehard fan with a family who wants to go to games more than just four or five times a season…

Comments on Lamster On New Yank Stadium & CitiField

July 27th, 2009 | 11:22 am

I hope the Yankees realize what they’re doing here…
      ——–
      The Yankees, and MLB in general, know exactly what they’re doing. They don’t really care, as long as people are coming through their turnstiles.

It’s a money grab, plain and simple. It always has been, but it’s more so now than ever. They may offer discounted ticket specials (the $5 tickets come to mind), but it will always come down to the bottom line.

2. MJ
      July 27th, 2009 | 11:42 am

———
      And why shouldn’t it be a money grab? If people will pay for it, they have a right to charge for it. If people will pay more for it, they have a right to charge more for it.

I take part in a money grab every two weeks from my employer. There’s nothing wrong with that.

3. YankCrank
      July 27th, 2009 | 11:48 am

I hope the Yankees realize what they’re doing here…
      ——-

I didn’t hear anybody complaining about ticket prices when we were able to afford to pay Mark Teixeira, CC Sabathia AJ Burnett to come play in the Bronx this year.

I understand that it would be nice to pay $1.50 to get into a Yankee game, i’d also like to go to about 10 Yankee games instead of four a year, but let’s be realistic here. If we want the Yankees to win and have some “gimmie” 9-1 home stands, than the team will be about the bottom line.

Like Raf says, MLB knows what they’re doing and so do the Yanks. I’d rather make it to less games a year for a winning product, but that’s just me.

July 27th, 2009 | 11:55 am

MJ wrote:

I agree with that, I have no problem with it.

July 27th, 2009 | 11:59 am

YankCrank wrote:

Ticket prices weren’t the reason they’re able to afford to play those players. A big part of what they can afford to throw around lies in media.

6. YankCrank
      July 27th, 2009 | 12:01 pm

——-

Ticket prices aren’t the only reason, but they are a fraction of the equation.

7. July 27th, 2009 | 1:13 pm

YankCrank wrote:

Well, I “complained” about the new ticket prices since they were announced. And, I “complained” about the Yankees having to spend a half-billion dollars to make up for Cashman’s failures to be able to build a team without a Steinbrenner checkbook. But, I guess no one listens to me? ;-)

8. yagottagotomo1
      July 27th, 2009 | 1:30 pm

Apparently people who can afford to go to more games than me and Steve are not die hard fans. This is a sentiment that I never got. If someone has money, he loses his die hard status?

9. Steve Lombardi
      July 27th, 2009 | 1:35 pm

yagottagotomo1 wrote:

I didn’t say that. I said:

“I hope the Yankees realize what they’re doing here…squeezing out the diehard fan with a family who wants to go to games more than just four or five times a season…”

That does not imply that there are not “diehard fans with a family who wants to go to games more than just four or five times a season…and who can afford it.”

One set does not mean the other set cannot exist.

10. yagottagotomo1
      July 27th, 2009 | 2:19 pm

That’s fair, Steve. I just took it to mean that the diehards were losing out to non-diehards. My apologies.

11. YankCrank
      July 27th, 2009 | 2:27 pm

—-

Haha, touche.

July 27th, 2009 | 2:31 pm

YankCrank wrote:
      Ticket prices aren’t the only reason, but they are a fraction of the equation.

I would wager a small fraction. I would say the monies received from the YES network, and whatever they get from CBS & UPN have more an impact on how much loot they generate than ticket prices.

13. G.I. Joey
      July 27th, 2009 | 2:45 pm

Of course if people are willing to pay for it, they have a right to charge it. However, this season there has been a decrease in those who are willing. This is evidenced by the number of empty seats in the Legends section and many of the $375 field level seats behind each dugout and wrapping around homeplate. This was not the case in the old stadium. Sure there were empty seats in those comparable sections here and there in the old stadium, but never at the number and frequency that we are seeing today.

It’s clear that organization is targeting families who go a couple of times a year, but I guess the question I’ve been asking myself is if they are doing at the expense of other fans. I believe that they are and they believe that it’s worth it for them to do so. Take me for example, I own a pair of season tickets on the terrace level that I split with a friend of mine and I’m on pace to attend about 40-50 games this season. The organization already has my money for the tickets. If they mistreat me and I get pissed off and want to boycott the stadium, it’s my problem to get rid of the tickets I already paid for. If I decide not to get the tickets next year, there will be someone else who scoops them up. At this price level, there is a tremendous amount of demand.

At the end of the day it’s my choice. I’m choosing quantity over “quality” b/c the amount of money I spend on seats could be used for a few games in the Legends section. There is no special treatment or show of appreciation for diehards like me, unless of course my seats were in the Legends section. So basically, if you have alot of money, you’ll get treated better and that’s goes for many things in life. It’s just a bit of a shame because class barriers used to be torn down once you walk into a ballpark and over the years those barriers have been built up higher and higher.

July 27th, 2009 | 3:02 pm

Whatever the Yanks are doing, it’s working given their lead MLB in attendance (average and overall).

15. Corey
      July 27th, 2009 | 4:08 pm

Raf wrote:

winning is what they’re doin.