• July 28th @ The Rays

Posted by on July 28th, 2009 · Comments (8)

What a bizarro game. CC Sabathia only goes 5 2/3 innings pitched and Scott Kazmir goes 7 innings pitched. What are the odds of that happening in the same game? (Although, Sabathia was done in by some bad fielding from Alex Rodriguez, Nick Swisher and Derek Jeter.)

Michael Kay, covering the game for YES, described the Yankees play in this one as “flat and sloppy.” As much as many often like to disagree with Kay’s calls, I doubt many who watched this game could beef about this one. Dead, solid, perfect, Michael. Flat and sloppy, indeed.

Comments on July 28th @ The Rays

1. JeremyM
      July 28th, 2009 | 10:05 pm

Disappointing game all around-they grounded into a lot of double plays too- but hopefully they can take the series tomorrow.

2. Rich
      July 28th, 2009 | 10:20 pm

Turn the page.

3. Evan3457
      July 28th, 2009 | 10:51 pm

Boy, they sure put in a clinker tonight.

Lousy defense after that nifty DP in the 1st. Bad hitting. Poor baserunning. CC had little command of the fastball.

Just a bad game all around.

Garza vs. Joba tomorrow. Joba better have at least his B game, or the Rays will win the series, just like they said they needed.

4. JeremyM
      July 28th, 2009 | 11:36 pm

Well, after seeing Boston blow it, I feel a lot better about things!

5. MJ
      July 29th, 2009 | 8:35 am

I love CC but I’m surprised at how he’s not as consistent as I thought he’d be. This isn’t the first, second, or even third time he’s gone out there with next to nothing. Odder still is how AJ Burnett has outpitched him this year. I never saw that happening.

As a massive Joba-hater, I am not looking forward to tonight’s game.

Oh well, at least Boston lost.

6. YankCrank
      July 29th, 2009 | 8:56 am

Hard to be too disappointed in this loss. Let’s be real, the Yankees have been playing close to .800 ball the last 30 games and it wasn’t going to last forever.

Turn the page, win the next one.

7. Tcarda4
      July 29th, 2009 | 12:18 pm

yuck

8. clintfsu813
      July 29th, 2009 | 1:09 pm

I feel like last night was another one of those “losses before we even started” because of how Kazmir has owned us in the past. That and CC just didnt have it from the start. I think CC can be decent in the 2nd half, but I think decent is about it. I really havent seen anything to say he’ll be a dominant ace. Except for when he pitches against Baltimore that is. AJ is our ace, no doubt about that.