• Snell, Wilson Headed To M’s

Posted by on July 29th, 2009 · Comments (18)

ESPN – Snell, Wilson headed to M’s

The Mariners would not make this trade if they were not going to try and make a playoff run. How does this affect the Yanks? Well for one, this means that Washburn is no longer a trade option. Also, the Yanks had been scouting Snell as another possible option for a trade and now that’s also out. So, with those 2 options out, how do you fill the hole vacated by Wang? And what about Joba and his innings limit?

- Posted By Corey

Comments on Snell, Wilson Headed To M’s

1. YankCrank
      July 29th, 2009 | 1:45 pm

This doesn’t necessarily mean Washburn isn’t going to be traded. Teams still make trades in efforts to retool but still contend, much like we did when we sent Sheffield and Johnson packing after 2006. Snell is a retool move to not only help in the future but possibly fill in for Washburn’s vacated job after he’s dealt, and the M’s may pick up Wilson’s option after the year and keep him for 2010.

The M’s haven’t told anybody that Washburn isn’t available, and until they do it remains open. Doesn’t mean I want him as a Yankee, but you know what i’m saying.

2. Corey
      July 29th, 2009 | 1:50 pm

YankCrank wrote:

i dunno, with only hours left before the deadline it looks like if they do decide to trade him, it’ll be during august. That being said, there’s so many teams looking for a starter right now, it’s hard for me to imagine a scenario where washburn would get past all the other teams to get traded to the Yanks.

3. YankCrank
      July 29th, 2009 | 1:53 pm

——

The deadline is Friday at 4:00, that’s roughly 50 hours from the time I write this. Whether or not he becomes a Yankee, he looks like he’s going to be dealt. That’s not a definite, but like I said the Mariners have been taking offers and haven’t told anybody (from what we’ve read, I guess you never know) that he’s unavailable.

4. Evan3457
      July 29th, 2009 | 1:56 pm

Mariners will demand Joba or Hughes or Montero for Washburn.

Yanks will not bite; and will not get Washburn, either.

This is a sellers’ market; more teams want a good pitcher then there are good pitchers available. Yanks have to overpay or stand pat. If they’re going to overpay, I’d prefer they’d overpay for Halladay. Not Joba and Hughes together, they have to negotiatie down from that.

And, if Hal has really told Cashman the payroll budget cannot be raised significantly (as per rumors), then the Yanks really are going to stand pat for now.

5. Corey
      July 29th, 2009 | 2:00 pm

I guess agree to disagree on this 1, I don’t see the M’s sending prospects (especially of Clement’s former status) for a player that they hope to extend to next year and Snell. If they are indeed re-tooling, wouldn’t it be better to just trade washburn for prospects, keep the prospects you already have, and call up a few of them to evaluate where your talent is?

6. Corey
      July 29th, 2009 | 2:01 pm

it also should be noted, I don’t want Washburn on the Yanks (nor did I want Snell for that matter)

7. MJ
      July 29th, 2009 | 2:15 pm

Forgetting the implications this trade might have for the Yanks for a moment, I can’t figure out why the hell the M’s would trade away all of that talent for Jack Wilson and Ian Snell. Good lord they both suck. I could’ve sworn the M’s new GM was touted as a guy that could evaluate talent. I’m totally confused by this move for the M’s.

8. bfriley76
      July 29th, 2009 | 2:19 pm

Corey wrote:

I was under the impression that none of the prospects sent to Pittsburgh were anything special. And the key word is Clement’s Former status. His poor showing on the MLB level (albeit in less than 250 ABs) and the fact that they had basically given up on him catching didn’t help his case. To put it bluntly, it’s not like the M’s sold the farm to get these two players.
      And there are rumors that they may flip Wilson to a contender for prospects.
      Regardless, I don’t think this in any way prevents the M’s from trading Washburn. We’ll see I guess.

9. G.I. Joey
      July 29th, 2009 | 2:22 pm

“The Phillies have reached agreement on a trade that would bring them left-hander Cliff Lee and outfielder Ben Francisco from the Indians for Class A right-hander Jason Knapp, Class AAA right-hander Carlos Carrasco, shortstop Jason Donald and catcher Lou Marson, according to major-league sources.”

Looks like the Phils are out on Halladay, which means the Sox probably have the best offer at this point.

10. YankCrank
      July 29th, 2009 | 2:31 pm

—–

Probably, but i’m ok with that. Even if the Sox do deal for Halladay, I hope the Yankees don’t become reactionary and feel like they need to make some big move.

This may give me some negative feedback, but i’d be far more comfortable trading for a reliever and putting Hughes back in the rotation to fill in for Wang over trading away our farm for a Halladay.

11. Evan3457
      July 29th, 2009 | 2:45 pm

I’m still the other way.

Yanks are going to get ripped off in terms of value for anyone they trade for, unless what they trade for has very low value.

They might as well get ripped off for the best pitcher on the market.

12. July 29th, 2009 | 2:47 pm

[...] (hat-tip to Was Watching)is reporting that Ian Snell and Jack Wilson are headed to Seattle. In return the Pirates will [...]

13. bfriley76
      July 29th, 2009 | 2:51 pm

I still think the Sox are more likely to get a bat (VMart would be my guess) than Halladay.

July 29th, 2009 | 2:58 pm

MJ wrote:

The Pirates are covering their salaries. M’s get a shortstop for this year and maybe next, as well as a SP, who may be helped by Safeco.

15. Evan3457
      July 29th, 2009 | 2:58 pm

Mbfriley76 wrote:

Now that the Indians have traded Lee, and the Padres are asking for the moon for Adrian Gonzalez, I do believe you’re right. The price won’t be astronomical, possibly because there’s no way for the Yanks to run legitimate interference, as they’d have no spot for Martinez.

16. Corey
      July 29th, 2009 | 2:59 pm

Evan3457 wrote:

They might as well get ripped off for the best pitcher on the market.

my feelings exactly

17. MJ
      July 29th, 2009 | 3:16 pm

———-
      The Bucs are paying for Wilson/Snell? That’s lunacy.

-Wilson’s going to make $8.4M next year (w/$600K buyout). That’s too much to pay for his limited skill-set.

-Snell has a total of $16M in team options for 2011 and 2012. Safeco or not, he’s stunk and that’s a lot to pay for him too.

18. bfriley76
      July 29th, 2009 | 3:25 pm

@ MJ:
      I think the Pirates are only responsible for the rest of THIS year’s salary for both players.