• July 29th @ The Rays

Posted by on July 29th, 2009 · Comments (9)

Joba Chamberlain’s Game Score for this one was 79.

The only other time he had a Game Score that high was on July 25, 2008 (which was also 79). The only other times, besides this game and that one against Boston last year, where he had a Game Score of 70+ were on July 24, 2009 (72) and on April 29, 2009 (70).

So, you can say two things here:

1. In this game, Chamberlain pitched one of the two best games that he’s ever thrown as a big league starter. And,
    2. With this game, Chamberlain has now thrown his best back-to-back starts as a major league starter.

Oh, and, by the way, he could not have picked a better time, or opponent to do this against, as this was a big game for the Yankees. Now, if Joba keeps this up, will the Yankees still look to limit his innings pitched this season? Ah, that’s a tough one, huh?

Comments on July 29th @ The Rays

1. BOHAN
      July 30th, 2009 | 12:04 am

who still thinks joba should be a reliever??? 3 real good starts in a row… and i dont know if any of u saw the stat YES put up but it was joba had gien up 3 or less earned runs in 27 of his 32 career starts… id say thats pretty damn good… hes a starter and is going to be a real good one for years

2. Garcia
      July 30th, 2009 | 1:17 am

Was it the less than a million $$ Joba Chamberlain?

3. Evan3457
      July 30th, 2009 | 6:34 am

And the two best back-to-back starts in his career…

…were both on 4 days’ rest.

I would guess that stat has changes some now, hunh?

4. Scout
      July 30th, 2009 | 7:20 am

He should still remain on the innings limit. With a young pitcher, you have to think long-term, what’s good for his career. The evidence is clear: by limiting innings increases year-to-year, you reduce the probability of major injuries.

5. OldYanksFan
      July 30th, 2009 | 7:37 am

No Steve, let’s ignor his innings limit and jeapordize his next 10 years as a dominant starter, so maybe we can squeeze 2 or 3 extra wins out of this season.

My guess is they will shoot for 145, and give him another 10 or so out of the BP during the PS. That’s pushing it a tad, but the innings limit is a philosophy more then a hard limit.

6. YankCrank
      July 30th, 2009 | 9:09 am

It’ll be hard to just shut him down for the year. My guess is they have an inning cap on him of about 150, and when it gets to 130 he’ll transition back to the bullpen. Either way it kinda sucks but hey, i’d rather have 130 good innings out of him instead of none…or just 50-60 of them out of the bullpen for a full year.

I hope this puts the silly bullpen debate to rest, which it won’t, and sets everybody who was so impatient with Joba straight. He’s 23, he’s developing as a big leaguer and he’ll have great stretches and poor stretches. Patience is key with this kid.

7. MJ
      July 30th, 2009 | 9:34 am

joba had gien up 3 or less earned runs in 27 of his 32 career starts
      ———
      Really? I’m shocked. I guess I’m the “lucky” guy that got to see three of those six starts where he pitched like complete crap.

I want everyone to know that I’m taking credit for Joba’s recent hot streak. Ever since I decided that I hate Joba’s guts and never want to see him again, he’s pitched well. I plan on hating his fat guts in perpetuity, in which case he might just win a handful of Cy Young awards!

If you wish to show appreciation for my role in turning Joba’s season around, I will take your thanks in the form of cash or checks… :-)

8. July 30th, 2009 | 9:39 am

Evan3457 wrote:

And the two best back-to-back starts in his career…
      …were both on 4 days’ rest.
      I would guess that stat has changes some now, hunh?

Depends. Let’s see how his shoulder responds to pushing it on 4-days.

9. Evan3457
      July 30th, 2009 | 2:26 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

Depends. Let’s see how his shoulder responds to pushing it on 4-days.

Yeah, agreed. Have to judge things long term, not on two good starts. Still, it’s a good sign, especially as his pitch counts in the games have not been very high.