• Hmmm…Is Anyone Surprised By This?

Posted by on July 30th, 2009 · Comments (20)

David Ortiz and Manny Ramirez were apparently on that list of 103 names from the 2003 survey.  While I have no personal interest or opinion on the steroids issue, it does make me at least a litle happy (schadenfreude, they call it) that Red Sox fans will have to eat some of their words.

Report: Manny, Ortiz tested positive in ’03

Ortiz has spoken out about steroids…wonder if he wishes he could take all those words back.

-Posted by MJ

Comments on Hmmm…Is Anyone Surprised By This?

1. YankCrank
      July 30th, 2009 | 12:37 pm

Oh, Oh my…I can’t come up with the correct sequence of words to express how pleased I am by this news. I may simultaneously fall over and shit myself in excitement.

2. CraftyLefty
      July 30th, 2009 | 12:39 pm

What an absolute joke that Mitchell Report was. Shocking that a partial owner of the team didn’t include his 2 stars on the list.

3. July 30th, 2009 | 12:43 pm

YankCrank wrote:

My thoughts exactly.

4. butchie22
      July 30th, 2009 | 12:47 pm

YankCrank wrote:

Crank, make sure you clean the floor and wipe yourself after you are done! Look, Manram and Big Flappi were always suspected by people in the know. It was unfair to Aroid, that he was the only one that was outed from said list. Look, every team has roid freaks BUT now the sacred Red Pox have the heart of their mini-dynasty as part of the tainted steroid class of the Twenty Os.

@ Crafty F&*k George Mitchell BTW. People claimed he was objective about the steroid taint on baseball. Please, whatta bag of BS that was. Imagine if a Yankee minority owner was in charge of a steroid investigation? The world would come to an end……..

5. Corey
      July 30th, 2009 | 12:51 pm

gotta be careful on our reaction…ya never know who’s gonna be next

6. YankCrank
      July 30th, 2009 | 1:03 pm

Crank, make sure you clean the floor and wipe yourself after you are done!

Haha, will do Butch!

gotta be careful on our reaction…ya never know who’s gonna be next
      ——

My reaction isn’t more in line with this being the end-all of this steroids stuff, it’s more along the lines of George Mitchel”s b*llshit report and mostly Yankees being ousted the last few years. Boston fans chant at Alex like their players are clean and pure and now we finally have proof it’s not the case.

This doesn’t justify anything, it just makes it more enjoyable.

7. July 30th, 2009 | 1:07 pm

[...] a follow-up to MJ’s post on Manny and Big Papi reportedly testing postive in 2003 for PEDs, I thought it would be fun to [...]

8. G.I. Joey
      July 30th, 2009 | 1:13 pm

Eat those words Big Sloppy.

9. OnceIWasAYankeeFan
      July 30th, 2009 | 1:22 pm

This hurts, no question. But in the end, isn’t it obvious alot of people used, over a substantial period of time. Didn’t we know this anyway?

It won’t stop me from wearing the championship tees or the Curse of the Big Papi shirt for that matter. But then again, I don’t hate Roger Clemens for using, I hate him for using then committing perjury about it and attempting to destroy the life of the person who helped him use PEDs.

Ortiz himself has acknowledged the possibility that he unwittingly used in the past (from the Times article):

In 2007, Ortiz said that he used to buy a protein shake in the Dominican Republic when he was younger and did not know if it contained a performance-enhancing drug.

“I don’t do that anymore because they don’t have the approval for that here, so I know that, so I’m off buying things at the GNC back in the Dominican Republic,” Ortiz told The Boston Herald. He added: “I don’t know if I drank something in my youth, not knowing it.”
      *******************************

So Yankee fans are free to presume that he’s juiced his whole Boston career, I’m free to believe that he tested positive after using a steroid-tainted supplement, without any intent. One thing is for sure, he hasn’t said anything about tic tacs or it being a “loosey goosey” time. :)

And anyway, they didn’t win in 2003. They won in 2004 and 2007, when there was a testing regime without anonymity and with penalties.

As for the continued bitching about the Mitchell report – did anyone ever claim it was exhaustive? Everyone knew at the time that he had sources and information for specific clubhouses, not all clubhouses. You really have to be incredibly biased if you think that Mitchell somehow had access to these 103 positive tests, but didn’t follow up because major Red Sox players were on the list.

10. thenewguy
      July 30th, 2009 | 2:11 pm

Wow, Oncewas, you are quite defensive about this. Did you take the same tone when A-Rod was outted? He at least had a TV interview where he admitted using steroids, as well as a press conference.

If you want to continue to be naive and say “well, maybe it was just a tainted protein shake,” feel free. But you’re only lying to yourself.

And I don’t think drinking a protein shake in his “youth” would result in a positive test all those years later… I’m no scientist, but that’s my guess.

Listen, Oncewas. Take this revelation like a man, just like we all had to do with A-Rod. Don’t make excuses, don’t pretend it was a tainted protein shake. Papi was a steroid user. Nowadays, it’s really not that big of a deal… and Yankees fans really only care because of the reaction A-Rod got. This is just to get the sanctimonious red sox fans back, and so they all wipe the smug grin off of their face about A-Rod. It hurts, doesn’t it, Oncewas?

11. thenewguy
      July 30th, 2009 | 2:14 pm

It hurts, doesn’t it, Oncewas?
      ———

Might I also add that A-Rod has never been really loved by Yankee fans, whereas Papi (especially with the Manny divorce) is the king of New England. Too bad your king has been outted, whereas A-Rod is just a hired mercenary for us.

12. OnceIWasAYankeeFan
      July 30th, 2009 | 2:27 pm

It doesn’t remotely “hurt”.

The reality is that Ortiz has spoken out against the effects of steroid use, advocates a massive testing regimen and a one year ban on any positive test.

That sound like a rampant roid user to you?

Yes, it does, cause you’re a Yankee fan and hate Ortiz for what he’s done to your team.

You know no more than I do about the extent of Ortiz’ alleged use, or the reason behind his positive result. I’ll acknowledge that use when and if Ortiz comes out and says that he used.

Until then, you know nothing about this, except that he ingested something in 2003 that produced a positive steroid test.

That is ALL you know.

13. butchie22
      July 30th, 2009 | 2:28 pm

I ripped Aroid when he was caught, but decried the unfairness of it all. IN the end, however this entire list should come out in terms of being fair. Yes, Big Flappi looks like an utter hypocrite for criticizing juicers , like when Afraud lied to that pseudo-journalist, Katie”Botox Face” Couric. quite frankly, he brought it upon himself(Ortiz that is). They were whispers for years about his transformation from the Ortiz on the Twins to the player that became so scary on the Red Sox. Manram’s stupidity speaks for itself. He’s a great hitter , a savant so to speak BUT a moron elsewhere.

@ Corey, I hear what you are saying but the fact of the matter is that certain Yankees were outed and they had to take the lumps. Now the REd Sox faithful have the same thing thrown in their faces and it seems clearer that when it’s my guy, it’s OK, BUT when it’s your guy it’s a crime!

And to those who defend the juicers, please prattle on aimlessly. It is indefensible to use these performance enhancing drugs , regardless of what team you are on. PERIOD! BUt now the REd Sox Nation knows what it’s like to have this garbage thrown in their faces. Any spin on it is futile. Manram and Flappi’s legacy is tainted beyond belief . I know that they are not the only ones, BUT the REd Sox weren’t populated by saints when John “Twitter Mad” Henry bought the team. It’s also amusing to see what kind of trade Theo makes under this duress he’s under. Does he offer the farm for Adrian Gonzalez or Doc Halladay to counteract the hype on this? Who knows but now the Fenway faithful got a taste of what this is like.

Once more, let me comment on Mitchell. It was irresponsible of MLB to have someone who was involved with an MLB club no matter what the circumstances. I can only say that as a minority owner of a club and a so-called Officer of that club, he should have had NO involvement in an investigation shuch as this one. It was a complete conflict of interest. Could you imagine Giuliani(who is a frothing at the mouth Yankee fan) in charge of such an investigation? There would be such an outcry , it would be deafening. AND Giuliani doesn’t own a piece of the Yankees either……..

14. GDH
      July 30th, 2009 | 2:40 pm

Oncewas, point taken – innocent until admitted guilty. However, as Yankees fans, we can no longer offer perspectives like – Looks like S**t, Smells like S**t, – it must be a duck!

Unfortunately, with all that has happened, it’s more than fair to assume the worst, even though it has the effect of staining on the non-users.

15. thenewguy
      July 30th, 2009 | 2:40 pm

That sound like a rampant roid user to you?
      ————-

Um… as a matter of fact, it does. A hypocrite, but a steroid user nonetheless. Did Palmeiro SOUND like a steroid user in front of Congress? No. Did A-Rod SOUND like a steroid user when interviewed by Couric? If you are naive enough to believe the statements of MLB players, then I can’t help you on that one.

Before Joba got caught with his DUI, how do you think he would have answered a question about drunk drivers? He would have said “I think they should go to jail.” Once he got caught, his tone would obviously have changed. It’s not different with these steroid users. They talk about morality and how they would never alter their bodies with illegal substances… that it until they are caught.

So please, spare me the idea that Papi is holier-than-thou.

16. July 30th, 2009 | 3:57 pm

Hey, anyone know if Curt Schilling has blogged about Big Papi’s news yet? ;-)

17. ken
      July 30th, 2009 | 5:53 pm

My email to a friend who is a Red Sox fan and his reply to me:

“Well, in my mind, it is still 1918 and counting for a real World Series.”

“Oh no… our steroid boys beat your steroid boys fair and square!”

18. ken
      July 30th, 2009 | 6:00 pm

Oncewas: you are delusional.

I think that most of your RSN compatriots will be much more realistic about this than you. The guy was washed up in his mid-20′s. Couldn’t hit a fastball. (Most prospects do hit a fastball but fail due to curveballs and other off-speed stuff). Released by a bottom-feeder team. Then suddenly emerges as a power hitter.

(Aside: Something I have long wondered when considering Papi’s career: how many power hitters with the impact that Ortiz had were as ineffective as he was up to age 24?)

If it walks like a duck……

19. OnceIWasAYankeeFan
      July 30th, 2009 | 6:19 pm

Ken, your prior comment says everything about your ridiculous biases. There’s no reason whatsoever to respond, to you or to new guy. You just go ahead and believe that he juiced for as long as you want to, evidence (like, say, an A-Rod admission of serial ‘roiding) be damned.

20. ken
      July 30th, 2009 | 6:25 pm

OnceIWas: My prior comment was real, not made up. It was friendly banter between a Yankees fan and a RS fan. We can joke about it. You should too.

Let’s not escalate to a flame war. FWIW, I know lots of RS fans (including my sons!). Every one of them, without exception (including Bill Simmons whose podcast I frequently listen to) harbored suspicions about Papi and PED’s. Today those suspicions are confirmed.