• Canseco: More to Come

Posted by on July 31st, 2009 · Comments (19)

As an addendum to my comment in the water cooler yesterday,  here is the article from ESPN. If you do the math, there’s only 1 player in the Hall of Fame that was in the bigs during the 2003 test and was a former teammate of Canseco’s…

- Posted By Corey

Comments on Canseco: More to Come

1. Tcarda4
      July 31st, 2009 | 12:31 pm

oh come on, you dont think a player like rickey henderson would ever try steroids……do you?? (haha bc i do)

2. JobaJr
      July 31st, 2009 | 12:34 pm

Yeah, its Henderson…

3. July 31st, 2009 | 12:38 pm

Rickey? That would break my heart…

4. Corey
      July 31st, 2009 | 12:39 pm

the real question is, if it turns out that a hall of famer was jucing during his career, what do you do? Logic would dictate then that players like Bonds, Clemens, Manny and A-Rod would then be allowed to get in. Problem is, the baseball writers are not the most logical (for instance, when a few of them voted for edinson volquez for RoY when he wasn’t a rookie)

5. July 31st, 2009 | 12:42 pm

Now, if turns out to be Kirby Puckett…I would not be shocked.

6. Corey
      July 31st, 2009 | 12:44 pm

@ Steve Lombardi:
      any reason why?

July 31st, 2009 | 12:48 pm

Corey wrote:

Same ol same. There are druggies, cheats and alcoholics in the Hall, to name but a few. So why would I be concerned if a juicer is in the Hall?

8. MJ
      July 31st, 2009 | 12:49 pm

Now, if turns out to be Kirby Puckett…I would not be shocked.
      ———-
      True or not, it would represent a new low for Canseco. The man is recently deceased.

9. July 31st, 2009 | 12:52 pm

@ Corey: Just that I’ve read that Kirby was not the sweetheart that some paint him to be…

10. Corey
      July 31st, 2009 | 12:52 pm

Raf wrote:

ya but there’s a lot of people that don’t share the same view point of you and I. How bad would it look for baseball if Bonds is elected, and no current hall of famers show up (Aside from Mays)?

11. Corey
      July 31st, 2009 | 1:00 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

I dunno, I really think he’s referring to Rickey. If he knew Kirby was on the juice and in the hall of fame all this time, i would think he would have put it in his first book (Kirby was still around then), or at least mentioned it by now.

12. butchie22
      July 31st, 2009 | 1:06 pm

Raf wrote:

Corey wrote:

Raf, I actually agree with you on that one. As terrible as juicing is, how many players did amphetamines,scuff the ball and corked their bats in baseball’s golden past? As much as I deplore the whole HGH/Steroid/ Andro taint on baseball the worst thing is the hypocrisy by the players who used and spoke against it. We also don’t know who took speed to up their abilites either. Could Hank Aaron have taken greenies back in the day? In addition, we have this vision of baseball being so pure in the old days etc so forth. Rick Cerrone recently told a story about how Nolan Ryan was cheating back when he played!

13. antone
      July 31st, 2009 | 2:26 pm

Didn’t Canseco say there was a HOF who did steroids and not a HOF who’s on the 2003 list who did steroids?

Couldn’t it be ECK? or Molitor?

I wouldn’t be surprised if Rickey took steroids in his 40′s to keep playing, but I don’t think he took it early on in his career.

14. Corey
      July 31st, 2009 | 2:41 pm

antone wrote:

i didn’t read/hear that, but i’m sure it’s possible

July 31st, 2009 | 2:42 pm

antone wrote:

Couldn’t it be ECK? or Molitor?

Eck battled the bottle, Molitor battled cocaine, I doubt that these two would do steroids, though I wouldn’t be surprised if they did.

16. July 31st, 2009 | 2:43 pm
    17. antone
      July 31st, 2009 | 2:46 pm

You posted the article..his exact words were:

“And I’ll tell you this, Major League Baseball is going to have a big, big problem on their hands when they find out they have a Hall of Famer who’s used.”

He didn’t mention the 2003 list which means it could be someone other than Ricky Henderson or someone who was retired before 2003.

Plus, that was Rickey’s last season and I’m not sure he even got tested since he started the season in the Independent League.

18. antone
      July 31st, 2009 | 2:47 pm

@ Steve Lombardi:

Damn I’m good!

19. Corey
      July 31st, 2009 | 2:47 pm

he did on the radio yesterday, that’s why i said it