• August 2nd @ The White Sox

Posted by on August 2nd, 2009 · Comments (6)

There will be no harmonica throwing on the trip to Toronto! The sweep was averted!

We had family plans for today that was supposed to keep us out of the house from 1:30 pm ET until very late this evening. But, the weather forecast washed them out. So, instead, we ended up having a late lunch in Sea Bright around 2:20-ish. They had the Yankees game on the T.V. in the bar at restaurant. But, I really couldn’t see it – sans when we were leaving. At that point, it was 7-4, Yanks, and Sabathia had just recorded the first out in the bottom of the fifth.

From lunch, we decided to run some errands and I was in and out of the car a lot. I was able to hear a little bit of the sixth, seventh and eighth innings on the radio. So, I knew that Melky Cabrera had a homer, double and single…but, that was the last I heard…until we were later back in the car and I got the post-game on the radio.

Now, this is a true story: After we hit our last store, I decided to take the family to our local Ralph’s Italian Ices. I grew up around the corner from the first Ralph’s and have been eating their ices since 1967. If you’ve never had it, I highly recommend it. Back when I was a kid, it was pretty much orange, lemon, cherry, chocolate and maybe a couple of other flavors. But, today, they have more flavors than you can imagine possible.

So, we get there and I order an orange, my wife orders a malibu bay breeze, and my son, age 5, orders a chocolate peanut butter cup ice. Now, my daughter, age 7, has been on a mission this summer. She’s out to try a different flavor every time we go to Ralph’s – and, today, all on her own, without any prompting, whatsoever, she decided that she wanted to order a “dulce de leche” cream ice.

When daughter got her ice, my wife and son decided that they wanted to try a taste of it too. And, across the board, they all said it was “Awesome!”

Then, later, when we were back in the car, and I heard the post-game on the radio, I found out that Melky, aka Leche, got the cycle with triple in the ninth. Dulce de leche (sweet milk) was “Awesome!,” indeed! Couldn’t have come at a better time Melky…attaboy!

Comments on August 2nd @ The White Sox

1. YankCrank
      August 3rd, 2009 | 9:15 am

Time to give Melky some credit. After last year everybody was ready to just throw him to the wolves.

Idk what did it. Maybe he worked extra hard in the offseason, maybe the competition with Gardner is driving him, idk…but whatever he did or is doing it’s working. Good for him, and in turn, good for the Yanks.

August 3rd, 2009 | 11:34 am

lol… That’s awesome :)

I have a little cousin who’s a bit younger that’s the same way. It’s funny (at least to me) to see such determination coming from a small package.

Steve, am I reading that correctly? I can see “malibu bay breeze” italian icees, but I’m having a bit of a time picturing “peanut butter cup ice” and “dulce de leche” icees.

If memory serves, growing up we had cherry, orange, coconut, lemon, chocolate and rainbow… Kids have no idea how good they have it nowadays… lol

3. Corey
      August 3rd, 2009 | 11:36 am

Ralph’s stands are big on the variety of flavors, I have 1 around the corner from my house…really good stuff

4. August 3rd, 2009 | 12:24 pm

@ Raf: Oh, they’re there – but, they’re a “cream ice” intead of a “water ice” – so, really, they’re more like a shebert than an italian ice. Check the Ralph’s link – they have all the flavors listed on the site.

5. August 3rd, 2009 | 12:26 pm

Corey wrote:

Like I said, I grew up around the corner from the first one – really, I could walk there in less than 5 minutes. And, the lines there in the 1970′s, ’80s and today are always long in the summer time – people just keep coming back…

6. Corey
      August 3rd, 2009 | 12:31 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

Like I said, I grew up around the corner from the first one – really, I could walk there in less than 5 minutes. And, the lines there in the 1970’s, ’80s and today are always long in the summer time – people just keep coming back…

yup, exactly…there’s actually 1 around the corner from me in each direction, and they are both packed constantly…and they’re both within 5 minute walking distance.