• USS Mariner: The Yankees And Lying And The Yankees Lying

Posted by on August 4th, 2009 · Comments (6)

From the USS Mariner WRT the Yanks as related to the Washburn trade. Granted, the authors have an anti-Yankee slant, which goes back to before 1995 (and was cemented after the Nelson/Martinez salary dump deal after that season) but the article still is worth a read.

USS Mariner linky

- Posted by Raf

Comments on USS Mariner: The Yankees And Lying And The Yankees Lying

1. Corey
      August 4th, 2009 | 12:28 pm
    2. MJ
      August 4th, 2009 | 12:31 pm

I saw that this morning. Without anything to support their claims — and given their blatantly biased tone — it’s hard for me to take this write-up seriously. Unless they can prove that all those reports of “Washburn-for-Joba” (or offers of that nature) were lies put out there by an obsequious NY media, then I’ll just choose to believe that the truth lies somewhere in the middle and that they’re friggin’ bitter that their favorite team had to settle for two scoops of dogshit in exchange for Jared Washburn.

August 4th, 2009 | 12:37 pm

MJ wrote:

Actually, that’s hardly the case that they’re bitter; Washburn traded entry and Luke French’s entry. Feel free to search their site for Washburn entries, if you thought Steve “hated” or was hard on Yankees he didn’t like, you ain’t seen nothin’ yet.

4. MJ
      August 4th, 2009 | 1:03 pm

I know they hated Washburn; I’ve read their site many times. But it’s hard for me to consider this article you’ve linked to as anything but embittered. The tone of it is ridiculous.

I can write a blog post that says:

“I know for a fact that X isn’t true. Want to know how I know? Because everyone knows that Source Y never talks about anything so if you didn’t hear about X, then it’s not true. Eff the Yanks and eff New York!”

That’s exactly what that column was. In my humble opinion, that’s the definition of embittered rubbish.

5. Evan3457
      August 4th, 2009 | 4:11 pm

I don’t like to believe columns that are mere assertions without any supporting evidence, but if I must choose between them, I’ll take the unproven assertions of Heyman and Sherman over those of a blogger (sorry, Steve).

If those guys lie or put faith in questionable sources too many times, they could lose their jobs. If a blogger does it, his/her readership might increase. For a while, anyway.

6. Scout
      August 4th, 2009 | 9:56 pm

Underlying the post is a common truth: we as outsiders cannot know the course of most trade negotiations in baseball. Of course the Ms asked for the moon first — everyone does, so why not? But that isn’t the serious part of the negotiation. Even the request for Austin jackson was probably an early move. So then what happened? Did the Yankees counter with a ridiculous low-ball offer? Did the two sides engage seriously? And in the end did the Ms just prefer the Tigers’ package to what the Yankees finally put on the table? None of us knows, and I doubt I would believe most of the statements from the participants, each of whom has reason to spin it a particular way.

I suggest it is time to just let it go. In the end, Cashman and co. will be judged by the results at the end of the season. No excuses. If the Yankees make the post-season and reach the World Series, no one will care about Washburn; if they fall short, the excuses about the high price of in-season pick-ups will ring hollow.