• August 6th vs. The Red Sox

Posted by on August 6th, 2009 · Comments (23)

I spent the afternoon before this game enjoying the boardwalk down in Point Pleasant (N.J.) with my family. While there, I noticed many Yankees fans – including several wearing Yankees uniform tops or navy T-Shirts with players names and numbers on the back. I saw a mother wearing a “Mark Teixeira” while her son wore a “Robinson Cano.” I noticed a guy about my age sporting a “Paul O’Neill.” At another point, I was on the “Starship 3000” – which, by the way, will really shift your internal organs around and then some – and I saw an Asian kid wearing a “Hideki Matsui.” And, I saw several people donning “Joba Chamberlain” shirts.

You could really feel “Yankee” pride out there today – at the eve of this game. And, myself, I must confess, I was a bit amped up for this one like it was a playoff game or something. How nice it was…finally…to see it end in a win…against the Red Sox. It’s been so long…that I forgot how good it feels to beat Boston.

Although, in the early innings, when Jorge Posada pulled a Jeremy Giambi and the Sox were launching homers into Trost’s Terrace, it felt like a little air was let out from the Yankees fandom hope-balloon. But, then came that long bottom of the fourth – let’s call it the “Hey, John Smoltz, it’s time to retire and go play golf with Tom Glavine” frame – and it was party time. Melky Cabrera’s blast started the music and Jorge Posada’s long homer to center popped the cork on the champagne…

…all that was left was to get five innings in the books, in case it rained, and to keep the lucky charms going to ensure the Red Sox didn’t take advantage of the fact that there was still a half-game left to be played…and comeback to make it close.

How about Joba Chamberlain in this one? Clearly, a team full of patient batters combined with a hitter’s umpire behind the plate is a bad mix for ol’ Joba, huh?

In any event, Anthony Claggett’s bloated Yankees ERA aside, it’s a good win for the Yankees…as it means they will finish this series still in first place…and they’ve finally hung an “L” on the Bosox this season.

Of course, Friday’s game brings Josh Beckett for the Sox…and he’s not the same as facing a 1,000-year old John Smoltz and Billy Traber. So, we in Yankeeland might be singing a different tune at the end of August 7th. But, that’s a ways away…for now…so, who cares?

The first place Yankees just beat the Boston Red Sox. We haven’t been able to say that in August, in Yankeeland, since 2006. Let’s just enjoy that and worry about Beckett when that game starts…

Comments on August 6th vs. The Red Sox

1. Evan3457
      August 7th, 2009 | 1:40 am

You mean…this one really counts as a win?

2. butchie22
      August 7th, 2009 | 10:03 am

Are people still gonna say that Smoltz is trending upward now? That whole Smoltz was getting better rap with evry start was a joke to say the least. Steve, anything can happen after this, BUT this was an enjoyable win. Yeah, the Red Sox are not at full strength BUT so what? The Yaks are hot right now and the Bosox are not. They have a chance to win a couple of games here(Boston), but the ball is definitely in the Yanks court. I would be surprised ,if they split at this point. But to paraphrase John Sterling AKA Harry Moskowitz(which I am loathe to do), baseball is a weird game, Suzyn………

3. Corey
      August 7th, 2009 | 10:05 am

Evan3457 wrote:

You mean…this one really counts as a win?

haha

4. clintfsu813
      August 7th, 2009 | 10:10 am

Yeah, the Red Sox are not at full strength BUT so what?

Great point Butchie..We were without Arod early on, and Tex was struggling mightily. We put out our best lineup last night and it really showed. I gotta say Melky is the best #9 hitter in the game. Swisher is a pretty darn good # 8 too.

5. August 7th, 2009 | 10:12 am

Evan3457 wrote:

You mean…this one really counts as a win?

Did you hear Paul O’Neill last night talking about, in golf, that you hand in your scorecard at the end to have your handicap determined, but, if you’re scorecard is from a tournament, the score counts double towards your handicap – and that’s what games against the Red Sox, for the Yankees, and vice versa, mean – that those “scores” or performances carry more weigh than just a game against Joe Blow…really, did you hear it?

Paul O’Neill gets it. Obviously, many who less about baseball than O’Neill, do not…

Not all wins tell the same story, my friends, not at all…

6. MJ
      August 7th, 2009 | 10:13 am

John Sterling AKA Harry Moskowitz
      —–
      Is that his real name? I don’t get the joke.

7. Corey
      August 7th, 2009 | 10:15 am

@ Steve Lombardi:
      on the fan yesterday Pettitte said that this game has no extra meaning to the club, other then maybe psychological to some players (i think he might have been referring to burnett or joba)

that being said, i agree this was a big W

August 7th, 2009 | 10:26 am

Steve Lombardi wrote:

Nah, he doesn’t. It isn’t the 70′s anymore. The rivalry in its current state is a byproduct of the media and the fans. I’d be willing to wager that if you were to talk to the players on either side, that they treat this game as any other. Granted there is more pomp, circumstance and hoopla (hey, you have to make money marketing this), but I don’t think they prepare for the Red Sox any differently than any other team.

9. OnceIWasAYankeeFan
      August 7th, 2009 | 11:11 am

@ Raf:
      Has it occurred to you now that the anomaly was Smoltz’ K:BB ratio, not the results? What happened last night? More walks than ever before, fewer strikeouts, and when he wasn’t getting clobbered, he was missing the plate horribly.

In the end, it was a pipe dream to think Smoltz could come back from labrum surgery at age 42. That, plus the injuries, have destroyed the season. Its time to release Smoltz and see what they have with Bowden. When the deficit is 10 on August 29, sell Penny if there are any takers.

And Theo really has his work cut out for him. If Buchholz doesn’t perform, you’ve got yourself a AAAA pitcher, worthless in the DH league and worth very little if he is shipped to the NL. Wakefield has to be sent to pasture – he should be happy to go out on a high note as Mussina did. Then there are the huge holes on the roster – what to do with Bay (I think he’ll be stupid and overpay Holliday), and then there is Lowell and Papi entering their final years. Ortiz is worthless and untradeable, and Lowell is the same, unless he regains some mobility a year out from surgery.

The smartest lineup might very well be an Ortiz/Lowell DH platoon; Youkilis at third and Kotchman/Martinez at 1B, with Martinez being mainly the catcher and Varitek on his farewell tour as his backup.

August 7th, 2009 | 11:25 am

@ OnceIWasAYankeeFan:
      ZOMG T3H SKY IZ FALLING!!!!!11!!!!!!1!1!one!!!!!!!!!

puh-leeze

11. YankCrank
      August 7th, 2009 | 11:41 am

OnceWas, come on man…i know you’re very upset with the recent play but try not to over-exaggerate. The Red Sox are going to be fine.

12. OnceIWasAYankeeFan
      August 7th, 2009 | 11:44 am

I hope you will all be as quick to praise my acumen when you realize in September how right I was. Believe me, I’ll remind you then.

13. clintfsu813
      August 7th, 2009 | 11:55 am

Believe me..we’ll be ok with it, lol

14. August 7th, 2009 | 12:00 pm

MJ wrote:

John Sterling AKA Harry Moskowitz
      —–
      Is that his real name? I don’t get the joke.

Yup: His given name is Harold Moskowitz

15. Corey
      August 7th, 2009 | 12:15 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

MJ wrote:
      John Sterling AKA Harry Moskowitz
      —–
      Is that his real name? I don’t get the joke.
      Yup: His given name is Harold Moskowitz

lol is there a story behind that?

16. MJ
      August 7th, 2009 | 12:29 pm

Yup: His given name is Harold Moskowitz
      ———
      Seriously? That’s a fantastic bit of trivia.

“Funny, (he) doesn’t look Druish.” :-)

(One of my favorite movies…)

17. Corey
      August 7th, 2009 | 12:33 pm

@ MJ:
      i think i read somewhere a sequel is being made…can’t find it anywhere though

18. Evan3457
      August 7th, 2009 | 12:38 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

Evan3457 wrote:

You mean…this one really counts as a win?

Not all wins tell the same story, my friends, not at all…

Well, yes, in the sense that a win for the Yanks is a loss for the Sox, and therefore 2 games in the battle for 1st place.

But in reality? No. Not unless it’s a playoff game.

If the Yanks wind up 4-14 vs. the Sox but are 12 games better against all other teams, and the Rays wind up 1 game better than the Sox, then the value of winning all those regular season head-to-head games is…nothing.

19. Evan3457
      August 7th, 2009 | 12:39 pm

Oh, and major league baseball is not an ELO system, or an ELO-type system.

20. Evan3457
      August 7th, 2009 | 12:41 pm

Oh, and I didn’t hear what Paul O’Neill said, because…I was at last night’s game.

But granting that he said it, next time you see Paul O’Neill, ask him for me how much it meant that the Sox beat the Yanks 8 out of 12 in 1999.

21. August 7th, 2009 | 1:03 pm

BTW, was I the only one stuck watching a infomerical on My9 for the Swivel Sweeper G2 during the 7th inning last night?

22. clintfsu813
      August 7th, 2009 | 1:32 pm

@ MJ:
      May the schwartz be wit you!

23. clintfsu813
      August 7th, 2009 | 1:33 pm

Get off your high horse..geez. ;)