• August 10th vs. The Blue Jays

Posted by on August 10th, 2009 · Comments (8)

I couldn’t watch this one. After the intensity of the last four games against the Red Sox, I needed a night off. Plus, I figured the Yanks would not be on top of their game – and who could blame them after those games against Boston? Lastly, I knew that Sergio Mitre was pitching. ‘Nuff said? So, instead, I watched a movie tonight. It just seemed like the right time to take a break…

I did peek in during the third and fifth innings. And, I caught Mitre being interviewed by Kim Jones on the YES post-game as well…talking about the play at second. So, I saw the Overbay homer and heard about the error. Did I miss anything else?

Afterwards, I saw that Boston won today. Hey, it was all bound to happen. Tomorrow’s another day, right?

Comments on August 10th vs. The Blue Jays

1. EHawk
      August 11th, 2009 | 4:53 am

Well Girardi really messed up in this game. I think it was either the 6th or 7th inning Jay were up 5-4 and Cano lead off with a double and you have Hairston up and I think everyone watching was figuring bunt Cano to 3rd with no outs except Girardi. So he lets Hairston swing away and he grounds out to 3rd I think and the runner doesn’t advance. Well they end up not scoring that tying run and he would of scored on Melky’s grounder if he was at 3rd with 1 out too! I tell you what Girardi is really gonna end up costing the Yanks in these close games down the stretch and in the playoffs. He is not a good manager and has cost the Yanks at least 5 wins this year. The Yankees win in spite of him not because of him.

2. yagottagotomo1
      August 11th, 2009 | 8:27 am

@ EHawk:
      Actually, most of the people at the site I post on during games were against a bunt there. Maybe, just maybe, there is no right answer here, and there are two reasonable courses of action. Just because the manager doesn’t do what you would have done does not make him wrong or a bad manager. Considering they have the best record in the sport and clearly have great chemistry, I would guess that you are wrong about winning in spite of him.

3. Tcarda4
      August 11th, 2009 | 9:44 am

am i thinking of another at-bat or did hariston try to bunt on the second pitch of that at-bat and it was a ball? maybe girardi took the bunt off at that point, but im pretty sure the bunt was on at one point in the at-bat. i wouldnt fault girardi for that, why not bash hairston for not doing his job and getting the runner to 3rd with a ground ball to the right side. He knows thats his job, he can bunt on his own if he thinks thats his best way to do it…if he grounds out to 3rd then fault him.

4. MJ
      August 11th, 2009 | 9:46 am

Tcarda4 wrote:

Agreed. What a novel concept — a player to take responsibility for his failures instead of always blaming the manager. Managers get way too much credit in good times and way too much blame in bad times.

5. cr1
      August 11th, 2009 | 10:02 am

Girardi was a below average manager last year and is an average one this year. Conventional wisdom is that a manager doesn’t make more than a handful of games difference in a season, whether to the bad or to the good. I would doubt that he has cost the Yankees 5 games already this year. Someone would have to list those five games for me and tell me how he was responsible for losing them to convince me.

The way I see it he’s pretty much a wash now, neither dragging the team down nor making them a lot better. I’m happy that he’s come this far this early in his career as a manager. Naturally I’d like to see him become one of the great ones who gets a team to play a notch above, but those are rare and usually have lots more experience than Girardi has right now.

6. MJ
      August 11th, 2009 | 1:50 pm

Girardi was a below average manager last year…Conventional wisdom is that a manager doesn’t make more than a handful of games difference in a season, whether to the bad or to the good.
      —————-
      Can you cite the handful of games from last year where Girardi was “below average” and cost the Yankees games? In my mind, the Yanks won 89 games last year because nearly half their regular lineup played below their career norms, either due to injury, replacement, or poor performance.

7. cr1
      August 11th, 2009 | 2:34 pm

Just got back. No, I can no longer cite specific dates from last year. Perhaps we saw last year’s under-performing games through different lenses and you would categorize under ‘poor performance’ the times when Girardi’s constantly changing and poorly planned line-ups minimized players’ chances of doing well. Perhaps you would not think that the fairly frequent occasions when Girardi lied to the press about health issues and reporters had to go repeatedly to players to get answers if they wanted the truth had any effect on the guys involved. You may not agree that constant questions about whether their manager was headed out the door if things did not pick up could create an atmosphere of uncertainty in which people might not perform at their very best.

I happen to think that such areas of basic managerial competence do have an overall effect, but reasonable people can always agree to disagree.

In any case, Girardi seems to have reached a level of mastering some of these basics and I believe that the team no longer having to live with those deficiencies is better off. I’m glad those days are behind us and have no hard feelings about Girardi’s learning curve. The owners and general manager knew from the jump that they were hiring an inexperienced guy who would have to learn on the job. I’m sure they counted on his learning quickly and it’s good to see that noticeable progress has already been made.

8. cr1
      August 11th, 2009 | 2:43 pm

I did not even mention the silly clubhouse bans on sweet treats and other ‘martial law’ type behavior since Girardi claimed at the end of the year that he had not been responsible for the disappearance of ice cream. Although his zealotry in policing the goodies both in his own clubhouse and in the visiting clubhouses where the team played away last year did create a lot of complaints about the babysitting mentality.

Maybe all that stuff didn’t matter to morale or how they played… we can’t know for sure. But again, I’m just glad that sort of nonsense has been dropped and look forward to an increasingly successful career for Girardi.