• Total Recall

Posted by on August 10th, 2009 · Comments (15)

Last night, we decided to drive down to Belmar, N.J., to grab some slices at Santoro’s Pizza on Ocean Avenue – and then take a walk on the boardwalk and get the kids some ice cream. Because of the not-so-great weather earlier in the day, it was not crowded at all down there in the early evening. It was funny, walking around down there…seeing some familiar sights brought me back to 1987-1990 when I used to go down to Belmar very often and spend the weekend, etc.

Back in those days, I was a bit of a gym rat. And, I could be found in the World Gym by my home at least four days a week. Of course, also back in that day, I used to read Muscle and Fitness magazine each month – looking for new training tips, etc. And, many times, during the summer, I would grab the latest edition of “M&F” at the 7-Eleven down on Ocean Avenue in Belmar, on a Friday, and read it over the weekend in between hitting the beach and the bars, etc. Of course, back in those days, every so often…actually more times than not…there would be something in the magazine about Arnold Schwarzenegger – especially if he had a new movie coming out. (And, between 1987 and 1990, he had at least a half-dozen movies in theaters during that time.)

It’s funny, about a week and a half ago, I heard somebody…I think it was the weather guy on Channel 2 in the morning…doing birthdays and they mentioned that it was Arnold Schwarzenegger’s 62nd birthday. Sixty-second birthday?

Wow…time flies.

Anywho, between hearing about his birthday the other day and making that Belmar/Muscle and Fitness/Arnold connection last night, I was in the mood to watch an “Arnold” movie this evening and I popped in “Total Recall.” It was interesting to watch it again – after not seeing it in many years…the then-award-winning effects are now dated, and, the acting perhaps somewhat more cheesy in retrospect, but, the story, score and action still kept me very entertained. A young, high-haired, Sharon Stone in aerobics gear didn’t hurt it none either…

And, for the record, I laughed out loud towards the end when Arnold said “See ya at the party Richter!” If you haven’t seen “Total Recall” in a while, and you were into the whole Commando, Raw Deal, Predator, The Running Man, Red Heat, Total Recall run that Arnold had going in the mid-80′s to 1990, I suggest checking it out again…for some nice “recall” in the viewing.

Comments on Total Recall

1. August 10th, 2009 | 11:46 pm

[...] Total Recall Aug 10 [...]

2. EHawk
      August 11th, 2009 | 4:35 am

Since you are a big Arnold fan take a look at this old school Arnold youtube clip. I think you’ll get a kick out of it!

3. clintfsu813
      August 11th, 2009 | 8:55 am

Saw this when I was 10. The little alien coming out of the guys stomach freaked me out..but the chick with the 3 boobs made up for it :)

4. Corey
      August 11th, 2009 | 9:23 am

=======
      i dunno if u’ve seen any muscle mags recently, but pretty much every 1 has something on arnold every month these days.

anyway, I love “Arnold” movies…they are the best, and Steve I noticed you didn’t list this one, so in case you didn’t see it…go see End of Days…its awesome/hilarious, i love it.

5. Tresh Fan
      August 11th, 2009 | 9:39 am

@ Corey:
      Did you like “Hercules In New York?”

6. Corey
      August 11th, 2009 | 9:43 am

ya know what, I havn’t seen that one…but I can assure you the next time i’m at blockbuster i’m pickin it up

7. August 11th, 2009 | 10:25 am

@ EHawk: Thanks.

@ Corey: I’ve seen them all. Even “Stay Hungry” and “The Villain”

August 11th, 2009 | 10:55 am

Tresh Fan wrote:

@ Corey:
      Did you like “Hercules In New York?”

I saw it, it’s great in a cheesy sort of way. Nice dubbing :). The other Arnold in the movie, Arnold Stang is a well known bit actor. I thought he was hilarious in It’s a Mad Mad Mad Mad World.

I do like NYC 70′s era cinematography

9. clintfsu813
      August 11th, 2009 | 11:00 am

@ Corey:
      Loved End of Days..very underrated

10. Tresh Fan
      August 11th, 2009 | 11:07 am

Ah, speaking of NYC cinematography, did anyone else catch “Lucky” last week on TMC? A Harold Loyd silent comedy filmed in NYC in 1928, it has some wonderful shots of Coney Island and other parts of NYC as well as that classic scene with Loyd driving a very nervous Babe Ruth to the Yankee Stadium. Great Flick!

11. Tresh Fan
      August 11th, 2009 | 11:10 am

Ooops! My Bad! I meant “Speedy,” of course! “Lucky” was another film altogether.

12. G.I. Joey
      August 11th, 2009 | 1:09 pm

I own this movie on VHS and it is a CLASSIC. Michael Ironside was one of the ultimate villains of early 90′s action films and where else are you going to see Sharon Stone and Arnold beat the crap out of eachother?

“Get your ass back to Mars!”

13. JeremyM
      August 11th, 2009 | 8:40 pm

Damn, I thought I was the only Arnold/Yankee fan :) I forgot about Stay Hungry, I own all of his others so I’ll have to pick that up. I’ll watch anything with Clint or Arnold- except Junior.

14. Corey
      August 12th, 2009 | 9:28 am

@ JeremyM:
      i actually really enjoyed Junior…thought it was hilarious. Since you didn’t like Junior, did you also hate twins?

15. JeremyM
      August 12th, 2009 | 6:52 pm

Well, I think Twins is OK. It has it’s moments. But I actually love Kindergarten Cop. So I’d rate the Reitman/Arnold films Kindergarten Cop, Twins, and then Junior. That one just didn’t do it for me.