• August 13th @ The Mariners

Posted by on August 14th, 2009 · Comments (9)

This one was pretty much over after three innings. CC and Godzilla, what can you say? Huge win for the Yankees here – coupled with Boston’s loss to the Tigers – means the Yankees only need to split their next six games and then, no matter what the Red Sox do between now and August 23rd, the Yankees will start their next homestand, on August 25th, in first place.

Think about that – if the Yankees can win just 3 of their next 6 games, even if the Red Sox go 9-0 in their next nine games, it’s a lock that New York will be in first place 12 days from now. Cool.

Comments on August 13th @ The Mariners

1. YankCrank
      August 14th, 2009 | 9:37 am

A couple observations from last night’s game:

-CC is just a beast and such a pleasure to have on our team. You know all those time the Red Sox would come back from down 3-0 or 3-1 in a playoff series because they were able to visualize things this way: “Well, if we win today we have Schilling tomorrow, then Beckett the next day and then anything can happen in a game 7?” I’m starting to feel that every time we have a game with CC. CC goes tonight, we win tonight, then we’ll see tomorrow. I love it

-Melky is sinking fast again, maybe when A-Rod is at full health Hairston can spell him some games in CF. Idk if it’s because he slumping or just tired from playing every day, but it’s kind of ugly

-We should really start appreciating Matsui while we have the chance. What a great player he’s been for us, and he still shows us flashes of brilliance. If and when he goes, we’ll miss him

-Can we show Cash some love for building a deep bench? Jopo and A-Rod have the night off and we still put up 11 runs. Idc if it was Ian Snell on the mound, Hinske and Hairston have been solid additions.

-Finally, how spoiled are we as Yankee fans? This team is f’in dirty! When was the last time we had to legitimately complain about them, the three game sweep in LA pre-All Star break? What a fun season this has been, man I love this team.

2. clintfsu813
      August 14th, 2009 | 9:57 am

Totally concur on Matsui and Cash..good points. As yesterday was my birthday, I was glad to see the guys step up and give me a great, albiet long, night of baseball. Stayed up for the whole thing and couldnt have been happier.

3. Corey
      August 14th, 2009 | 9:59 am

@ clintfsu813:
      happy late bday buddy

4. August 14th, 2009 | 10:09 am

YankCrank wrote:

Have you seen CC’s career #’s in the post-season?

5. clintfsu813
      August 14th, 2009 | 10:16 am

@ Corey:
      Thanks, it was the big 29. Cant wait for next year (Brimming with sarcasm)

6. YankCrank
      August 14th, 2009 | 10:17 am

Have you seen CC’s career #’s in the post-season?
      —–

Haha yes I have, and we’ve had many discussions about this topic ;)

7. butchie22
      August 14th, 2009 | 10:35 am

Steve Lombardi wrote:

YankCrank wrote:
      Have you seen CC’s career #’s in the post-season?

Nice post by Crank, BUT that was the first thing that popped in my head as well. CC has been midling at best in the playoffs, AJ never pitched in the playoffs, is Joba gonna pitch in the playoffs(?) AND Pettitte has been really good in the playoffs (good sign that he’s pitched so well in the seond half).

August 14th, 2009 | 11:12 am

clintfsu813 wrote:

Happy birthday! Last night’s game didn’t seem to be all that long. I think it wrapped up around 1am

9. clintfsu813
      August 14th, 2009 | 12:52 pm

@ Raf:
      Very true. Even though we scored 11, CC had a couple innings last about 10 minutes. The AJ game against the BJ’s took forrrrrrever even for the 9 innings. Nothing compares to Friday vs Boston though. I was screaming at Drew for catching that Hinske hit ball because I was so freaking tired, lol.