• Getting Ahead Of Ourselves A Bit…

Posted by on August 14th, 2009 · Comments (9)

Just for fun, even though it’s way too early to probably think about this, if the post-season started today, who would be on the Yankees playoff roster?

For sure, you know these players would be on it:

A.J. Burnett
    Mark Teixeira
    Melky Cabrera
    Nick Swisher
    Phil Coke
    Philip Hughes
    Robinson Cano

That leaves seven slots left. And, I would bet that five of those go to:

Jerry Hairston
    Brett Gardner
    Ramiro Pena
    Eric Hinske
    David Robertson

So, that leaves two spots left – with a bunch of pitchers to choose from:

Brian Bruney
    Sergio Mitre
    Mark Melancon
    Damaso Marte
    Chad Gaudin

Which two would you keep?

Comments on Getting Ahead Of Ourselves A Bit…

1. YankCrank
      August 14th, 2009 | 12:59 pm

I’d say it depends on what kind of Marte we get back in a few days. If he’s serviceable, you have to take Bruney and Marte. If Marte gets hurt again, is shut down or is just awful, Bruney and Melancon. Anybody agree?

2. MJ
      August 14th, 2009 | 1:05 pm

I agree. If Marte is back to being healthy and productive, you take Marte and Bruney. If Marte doesn’t come back, you go Bruney/Melancon.

3. yagottagotomo1
      August 14th, 2009 | 1:30 pm

I think they take 12 pitchers, which is what they have on the roster now. Once Gardner is back, Hairston makes Pena a bit superfluous. That means they can take Bruney, and two of Marte/Gaudin/Melancon depending on how they pitch.

4. ken
      August 14th, 2009 | 2:38 pm

I’m not a fan of Marte. He looks like a deer-in-the-headlights kind of guy when pitching on the big stage. Yes he has talent but I don’t trust him. Coke is a better LOOGY and both of them are scary for longer appearances against RH hitters.

5. August 14th, 2009 | 2:47 pm

In my mind, both Pena and Hairston have to make the October roster – to pinch run for Posada, Matsui or Swisher in a big spot. Of course, there’s Gardner. But, if you run Gardner for Matsui, then you can’t play him in CF, without losing the DH, and I want him in CF and Melky in RF, late, in a close October game.

6. yagottagotomo1
      August 14th, 2009 | 3:13 pm

Steve, if Gardner comes in to play CF, he will be replacing someone who you would pinch run for. Then you have Hairston running for one of the other 2. Basically, you want to carry Pena for the sole reason of running if Posada or Matsui both need to be pinch run for in the same game. I would prefer the arm, knowing Girardis penchant for matchups.

August 14th, 2009 | 3:19 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

That shouldn’t be a problem. If they lose the DH, they have enough versatility on the roster that they can work around it. If they can’t properly utilize a 11 man pitching staff in a best of 5 series, they have bigger problems.

Unless Melancon can build up Girardi’s trust, I don’t think you’ll see him on the postseason roster. I doubt that Mitre will stick around in the postseason. Not with Aceves, Hughes and Joba on the staff; they present 3 better options. Besides, I think he’s holding Marte’s roster spot.

Bruney/Marte (you know how managers love their LOOGY’s even though Coke and Marte really don’t fit that bill). If Marte isn’t healthy, then Bruney/Gaudin.

8. August 14th, 2009 | 3:54 pm

yagottagotomo1 wrote:

If you only have Gardner to PR, and he has to PR for Matsui in the 7th inning, then you cannot have him come into the game in the 8th or 9th, to play CF, and move Melky to RF, and take out Swisher who is a liability, at times.

If you have Pena, he can run for Matsui, then you still have Gardner to play CF, and Hairston as a reserve in case an INF goes down.

9. yagottagotomo1
      August 14th, 2009 | 3:58 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

That is a very specific situation, and pretty much the only one where this would matter. Hairston could run for Matsui, and Gardner could come in for defense later. If an IF went down, then you would just use Hairston and lose the DH. As I said, I would prefer the arm, but I see where you are coming from.