• August 14th @ The Mariners

Posted by on August 15th, 2009 · Comments (11)

Did Andy Pettitte turn himself around in this game, or what? Anyone watching Pettitte in the first couple of innings never would have figured that he would end up going six, allowing only two runs, and whiffing ten in the process.

This is a huge win for me…actually, any time Pettitte wins, it’s huge…because you usually, now, have some combination of Mitre, Chamberlain and/or Gaudin following him the rotation. So, if the Yankees are ever going to have a four-game losing streak, it will probably start with a Pettitte loss…followed by Mitre, Chamberlain and Gaudin. And, that’s the only chance Boston has now, of getting back into this thing, is if the Yanks string together three or four losses in a row.

Good job Andy – and Bruney and Hughes too – keeping the game close until Tex’s big fly.

Side note from this game: Johnny Damon became the first player in more than 60 years to collect 600 hits for three different teams (Royals, Red Sox and Yankees). The others are Willie Keeler and Doc Cramer. That’s a cool stat.

And, on the YES coverage, Ken Singleton was talking about Derek Jeter being on the doorstep of becoming the player to have the most hits in history as a shortstop. I didn’t hear all of what he said, but, its sounded like Jeter was within a few hits of the record. But, I cannot verify that as of yet…did anyone else hear that and remember the details?

Comments on August 14th @ The Mariners

1. Garcia
      August 15th, 2009 | 10:10 am

Steve, Hughes get the win.

It was a good game, I like what Pete Abe said: “This team has won 35 of 46. They’re a machine at this point.”

2. redbug
      August 15th, 2009 | 10:12 am

Kenny was talking about the record for a player who only played short – as opposed to someone like Ripken who played short and another position.

I don’t recall him naming the player but I think he was talking about Visquel (although, he’s played a few games at 2nd). Jeter is at 2,683. Visquel is at 2.697. (They both passed Aparicio at 2,677).

Clearly, Jeter will finish well ahead of Visquel when all is said and done (assuming he stays at short).

3. August 15th, 2009 | 10:46 am

@ Garcia: Yeah, I meant “any time the team wins a Pettitte start.”

4. August 15th, 2009 | 10:48 am

redbug wrote:

Thanks. That’s a crazy record…since Jeter has D.H.’ed at times and just about every other long-term SS has played a game or two at 2B or 3B or the OF in their career….usually early or late.

5. Rich M
      August 15th, 2009 | 11:01 am

He was talking about the record for most hits as a shortstop.

Aparicio: 2674
      Jeter: 2670
      Vizquel: 2669

6. redbug
      August 15th, 2009 | 12:02 pm

He was talking about the record for most hits as a shortstop.

Aparicio: 2674
      Jeter: 2670
      Vizquel: 2669
      ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

That makes more sense.

7. Corey
      August 15th, 2009 | 12:22 pm

Rich M wrote:

He was talking about the record for most hits as a shortstop.

Aparicio: 2674
      Jeter: 2670
      Vizquel: 2669

yep, that’s exactly it. he just pased vizquel when he talked about it.

8. Corey
      August 15th, 2009 | 12:23 pm

rivera’s velocity was down, i may be a little concerned now..

9. Corey
      August 15th, 2009 | 12:24 pm

also, that hop tex did…that reminded me of tino so much as he used to do that

10. Corey
      August 15th, 2009 | 12:27 pm

heh one last observation, i just read this in pete abe’s blog..:
      =====
      Phil Hughes was marveling at facing Ken Griffey Jr. “I play his Super Nintendo video game every day when we’re at home,” he said. “Pretty cool.”
      =======
      Since Hughes is roughly the same age (I’m 1 month younger than him), I sometimes like to put myself in his place to try and see what that would be like. When he faced Junior last night, i thought along the exact same lines as Hughes thinking “man i played this guy’s video game, how sick would it be to face him in a game”. Pretty cool stuff.

11. August 15th, 2009 | 9:29 pm

Corey wrote:

rivera’s velocity was down, i may be a little concerned now..

I thought the same thing when I saw the MPH on the last out of the game.