• August 17th @ The A’s

Posted by on August 18th, 2009 · Comments (10)

Brett Tomko? Really? Brett Tomko?

Oh, well, at least it was a fast game – 2 hours and 15 minutes. Shame, overall, A.J. Burnett pitched good enough to win.

First time this month that the Yanks have lost back-to-back games. (Their last back-to-back losses were against the White Sox on July 31st – August 1st.) This is the first time the Yankees have been shutout since June 23rd – when Cashman went to Atlanta the next day. Time for another meeting? Sure, the Yankees averaged 5.8 runs scored per game between June 24th and August 16th. But, that was then and this is now…yeah, I am kinda kidding here.

Brett Tomko? Really? Now, that’s no joke…

Comments on August 17th @ The A’s

1. Garcia
      August 18th, 2009 | 8:10 am

I know dude, Brett F’ing Tomko, wtf? Did they owe him money? They looked asleep out there.

2. JeremyM
      August 18th, 2009 | 8:11 am

Losing to that guy really bothers me. The guy had a 9.35 ERA or so with Oakland’s AAA club!

3. MJ
      August 18th, 2009 | 8:51 am

I didn’t watch the game so I have no clue but just from the highlights, it looked like the Yanks took some really bad AB’s out there and hacked at lousy pitches early in the count. That’s over-aggressiveness which happens when you’re facing a career piece of garbage like Tomko but it sucks to let your aggressiveness play into that scrub’s hands.

Hopefully the Yanks win the next two and come home with a 5-2 record on this road trip.

4. YankCrank
      August 18th, 2009 | 9:01 am

I couldn’t sleep after this game. Seriously, I was up all night staring at the ceiling in complete disgust. How embarrassing.

5. butchie22
      August 18th, 2009 | 9:22 am

Funny about this game: on paper the Yanks had the decided edge, but that was on paper. On Yes they hyped that Tomko was looking for payback against the Bombers and unfortunately he got his pound of flesh. Though of an old cricket expression my Australian father would always bust out: we don’t play the match (cricket game) on paper BUT rather on the field.

You know thare are someotimes when a team is so off it looks listless, soft, asleep last night/this morning was one of those games. It happens sometimes, let’s not hope it’s part of a slumping trend. Especially now that the Red Sox are coming……

6. Pat F
      August 18th, 2009 | 10:22 am

watched the whole game, and the yanks did take some bad at bats. but they also hit missles all over the place that were either right at people or would have been gone in 80% of other parks (including the one we call home). stadium is cavernous. so while we weren’t putting forth our best effort of the year, it was also just one of those nights. few feet here and there and playing in a different park, we might have scored 4-6 runs.

August 18th, 2009 | 10:26 am

Following the game thread @ BronxBanter, it seemed the Yanks were taking a lot of bad ab’s

8. August 18th, 2009 | 11:20 am

Maybe they were in a rush to get to Posada’s birthday cake?

9. Corey
      August 18th, 2009 | 12:21 pm

all the credit clintfsu813 got was taken away last night, you called it :P

10. clintfsu813
      August 18th, 2009 | 12:53 pm

@ Corey:
      Lol. I dont want any credit for that piece of crap I watched last night. I keep walking down the halls at work muttering to myself…Bret F-ing Tomko….