• All These Years Later, Jim Rice Still Not A Yanks Fan?

Posted by on August 21st, 2009 · Comments (11)

Courtesy of ESPN.com:

Apparently Jim Rice isn’t a big fan of the Yanks, singling out A-Rod and Jeter in a message to Little Leaguers playing in the Little League World Series.

Speaking to players before the start of the Little League World Series, the new baseball Hall of Famer said today’s major leaguers are too focused on individual goals and getting big contracts.

“You see a Manny Ramirez, you see an A-Rod [Alex Rodriguez], you see [Derek] Jeter … Guys that I played against and with, these guys you’re talking about cannot compare,” Rice said to Little Leaguers gathered in the cafeteria.

A-Rod and Manny are fair game,  I suppose, since they both tested positive for PED’s, but why call out Jeter?  He’s never tested positive for PED’s and — my feelings about him notwithstanding — has a sterling reputation among his peers, his opponents, and just about everyone else.  I wonder why Jim Rice is calling out “Captain Intangibles?”

-Posted by MJ

Comments on All These Years Later, Jim Rice Still Not A Yanks Fan?

1. Corey
      August 21st, 2009 | 3:41 pm

rice is just jealous cause those 3 won’t have to wait to get into the hall

2. MJ
      August 21st, 2009 | 3:50 pm

Corey wrote:

rice is just jealous cause those 3 won’t have to wait to get into the hall

It wouldn’t surprise me, the bitter bastard.

FWIW, I don’t think A-Rod ever makes it in. I think 25% of the electorate will keep out a good number of PED users and I’m afraid A-Rod is hated just enough to be on the $hit list.

3. Corey
      August 21st, 2009 | 3:55 pm

its way too early to tell, he’s got tons and tons of time to repair his image. And, if Rice is any indication, time can heal wounds with the writers.

4. MJ
      August 21st, 2009 | 4:15 pm

Corey wrote:

Probably true. In that sense, I figure the PED guys like A-Rod will have to wait 10-15 years until a newer generation of wrtiers begin to get their voting cards. That next generation will likely not have poles as far up their asses as the current crop does…

5. Corey
      August 21st, 2009 | 4:19 pm

a-rod has what, 8 years left on his deal? + 5 years for eligiblity. that’s already 13 years…i could see it

6. Corey
      August 21st, 2009 | 4:21 pm

*that’s not including this year

7. MJ
      August 21st, 2009 | 4:28 pm

@ Corey:
      Very true. By the time his career is over and he gets through his HOF waiting period, it could be a whole other crew of BBWAA writers. Maybe PeteAbe will have gotten over his grudge too! ;-)

8. August 21st, 2009 | 4:38 pm

How funny would it had been if some 12-year old there said to Rice: “If not for Fenway Park, you wouldn’t even be in the Hall of Fame. Roy White was a better player than you.”

Think Jimmy would have asked the kid to step outside?

9. #15
      August 21st, 2009 | 4:39 pm

And…. If A-Rod hammers it for the next 5 or so years the presumtion will set in that PED’s or no PED’s, he belongs. If he’s a .250 BA, 25 homer guy with 80-90 RBI’s it will be much much tougher. Bonds, Palmero, Sosa, Clemens and Giambi, to name a few, don’t have that chance to rewrite their own story. I think writers will look at post-testing stats as a way to validate, or invalidate, pre-testing stats.

10. Corey
      August 21st, 2009 | 4:41 pm

@ MJ:
      Pete seems like a reasonable guy in the few e-mail exchanges I’ve had with him. I think he takes his job pretty seriously (a good thing) and would put personal grudges aside for something like a HOF vote. Then again, I don’t know the guy…that’s just the impression that I get.

11. cr1
      August 21st, 2009 | 4:45 pm

A wise man said you can know a man by the quality of his enemies. If Jeter has the unearned enmity of a jerk like Rice it says only good about Jeter.