• August 25th vs. The Rangers

Posted by on August 26th, 2009 · Comments (21)

Wow, that one got close in the 9th huh? I thought the Yanks were going to pull off the come back there for a minute. Regardless, there’s a lot of fight in this team day in and day out and they never seem to be completely out of it.

And now, for Joba. Last night featured the same old, same old from Joba. I think it’s time for Posada (if he has already, do it again) to sit Joba down and tell him that he’s going to throw whatever pitch Posada tells him to throw. Everytime Joba shakes off Posada, it makes his pitches become predictable. How many times with 2 strikes did Joba shake Posada off to throw the slider? At this point, I don’t think I want to see him get the ball in October. Line up CC, AJ, and Andy and let’s roll.

Lastly, another 2 hits and a walk for the captain. It tells you a lot about your season when it’s been 114 PA since your last walk and your OBP is still .390+. If he continues to hit and get on base at this clip, and steal bases like he has been, he may give Tex and Mauer a run for their money for that MVP award.

- Posted By Corey

Comments on August 25th vs. The Rangers

1. YankCrank
      August 26th, 2009 | 8:47 am

I love this team. Honestly, when was the last time you’ve been able to say that after a loss? They’re down 10-5 in the 9th and scrap all the way back to 10-9. It was close, but hey…we can’t win them all. Come out tomorrow behind Andy and even the series up. All we have to do at this point in the season is win each series, and if we can’t do that, just try to avoid strings of consecutive losses.

When I was watching the 9th and Swisher was up, all I was saying was “Swish and Melky, just get Derek to the plate and we’ll win this game. Don’t majorly f up back to back and rob Derek of a chance to win this game.” Then, they both blew it haha.

2. Corey
      August 26th, 2009 | 9:03 am

@ YankCrank:
      agreed.

I wonder if Swisher was told to bunt, or if he did that on his own. If he was told to bunt, I have to wonder why he wasn’t pinch hit for. Hairston, coming from the NL, at least has had 7 sac bunts this year (although 1 came in pinstripes). Swisher had 7 sac bunts in his CAREER.

3. MJ
      August 26th, 2009 | 9:06 am

On the one hand I definitely appreciate and applaud the effort of the team coming out and clawing until the last out. You can’t win ‘em all but, if you’re going to lose, at least lose with some fight and some pride. The Yanks definitely went out there and tried to battle and put pressure on Texas. It says a lot about the guys on the team and about their manager and coaching staff. This is a team that wants to win every time they play and backs up that desire with their actions on the field…and it doesn’t hurt that they’re good enough that the CAN back those actions up. Good job all around.

On the other hand, certain things bothered me about this game:

1) Letting Millwood off the hook in the middle innings with bad hacks early in the count. A more patient approach against a guy that wasn’t exactly sharp last night would’ve been nice to see.

2) I’m not trying to diss Jeter here but for all the talk of his improved defense, those weren’t exactly hard balls to get in the 4th inning that did all the damage…

3) #62. He has no idea how to pitch in the big leagues. Pitch selection was poor. Pitch location was poor. Inability to get out of the inning with two outs was poor. For a guy that used to have four quality big league pitches, he’s now stuck on that slider and never shows anything else. The fact that he had those four pitches is the only reason why he’s in the rotation in the first place and not in the bullpen. If he doesn’t dust off the curve and change, he may as well just go back to being a relief pitcher. No point having two pitches you never use when everyone knows you don’t trust your fastball and throw your slider 50% of the time…

4) Earth to Dave Eliand and Jorge Posada…you had 10 days to prep this fat idiot for his start and this is the best we get? Joba needs to execute but you need to do a better job with the gameplan.

************

My criticisms of the game should not overshadow my earlier comments. The Yanks are better than the Rangers and we’ll see that tonight when the better portion of our starting rotation begins to take its turn…

4. Corey
      August 26th, 2009 | 9:07 am

1 obvious omission in my last comment is that i wouldn’t have pinch ran for posada with hairston.

5. Corey
      August 26th, 2009 | 9:09 am

=========

Jeter circa 2008 would have made those plays. That’s the trade-off with him positioning himself differently. I would, however, trade those 2 hits for all the hits up the middle he stopped.

6. Corey
      August 26th, 2009 | 9:11 am

let me rephrase that, i would rather have him positioned as is and let those 2 hits fall last night then have him go back to standing more in the hole. Those 2 singles didn’t score all 10 runs, the pitching staff just has to do a better job.

7. bfriley76
      August 26th, 2009 | 9:14 am

@ Corey:
      Hairston was already running for Posada at that point.

I really didn’t like the bunt call. Francisco had already given up a walk and three hits (though Posada’s was a swinging bunt). Swing away! Besides Swisher is top 5 in the league in walks, and obviously has pop. I know you want to avoid a DP there, but asking him to bunt when it’s way out of his comfort zone, is a bad idea.

8. Corey
      August 26th, 2009 | 9:19 am

@ bfriley76:
      i know, that’s what i said why i said this :

9. YankCrank
      August 26th, 2009 | 9:26 am

3) For a guy that used to have four quality big league pitches, he’s now stuck on that slider and never shows anything else. The fact that he had those four pitches is the only reason why he’s in the rotation in the first place and not in the bullpen. If he doesn’t dust off the curve and change, he may as well just go back to being a relief pitcher. No point having two pitches you never use when everyone knows you don’t trust your fastball and throw your slider 50% of the time…
      ——-

Didn’t even realize this, to be honest. Now that you bring it up, why doesn’t he use his curve or change at all? All we saw last night were poorly-spotted 92-95 mph fastballs and lots of sliders. His command was off, his pitch selection was poor and he couldn’t finish anybody off. I know it was the Rangers, but he had similar issues with the Mariners.

Idk what’s going on but you’re right. Eiland, Posada, Girardi…somebody needs to straighten this kid out and get him ready for his starts.

10. Corey
      August 26th, 2009 | 9:29 am

the worst part about the slider is, he doesn’t even mix up the location at all. It’s either diving down and in to lefties or down and away to righties. same spot, every time. It’s amazing, to me, that he even gets strike outs from that pitch anymore since everyone knows what’s coming (especially if he foolishly shakes off jorge first).

11. MJ
      August 26th, 2009 | 9:50 am

@ Corey: You’re right about the defensive positioning although a more spry guy (like his counterpart on Texas, Elvis Andrus) could cover both sides of the position and not have to sacrifice one or the other. Again, I’m not trying to diss Jeter but this was the bizarro “past a diving Jeter” that we’ve grown accustomed to since 2004…

@ YankCrank: Coney mentioned in the 4th inning that #62 had thrown a nearly 50-50 mix of fastballs and sliders. I think I counted four curves and three change-ups from him.

It really doesn’t make much sense to me. If #62 no longer feels comfortable with those two pitches then why bother with the pretense of making him a starter. Just plop him in the bullpen and be done with it. However, if he still has confidence in those pitches then it’s up to the manager/pitching coach and catcher to keep those pitches sharp in off-day bullpen sessions and by calling for those pitches in the game to keep batters honest. I can’t 100% blame #62 for this since I don’t know exactly what’s going on behind the scenes.

Bottom line: Corey’s 100% on the money. The slider is thrown in predictable counts/situations and in the same location. That won’t even work in relief appearances after a while. #62 is not maturing as a pitcher right now and this issue needs to be addressed quickly.

12. bfriley76
      August 26th, 2009 | 9:57 am

@ Corey:
      Sorry…saw that after I posted my reply to you.

13. clintfsu813
      August 26th, 2009 | 10:47 am

Quote from #62 before game…”I feel strong like bull.” You dont get to speak…at all..until you can go 6 or 7 IP and give up less than 4. That is all.

14. G.I. Joey
      August 26th, 2009 | 11:15 am

Watching this kid pitch is beyond frustrating and I have to admit that I booed him badly after the top of the 4th. I know we don’t know what is going on behind the scenes, but I can’t help but to think he’s just being a punk and ignoring the coaching staff’s instructions, which I am under the impression are to mix in all four of his pitches and attack the zone in order to be economical.

15. redbug
      August 26th, 2009 | 12:02 pm

MJ:

______________________________________________________________

I noticed he seems to have gained weight, too.

I think Jorge does have a plan. Trouble is Joba consistantly shakes him off. Why he thinks he knows better than Jorge is beyond me. Girardi and Eiland need to lay down the law.

I started thinking about his arogance last night. I think it’s too bad he spent his 1st yr here during Clemens last yr. I can recall them spending a lot of time in the dugout talking. Last night they mentioned Joba leads the league w/ hit batsmen. Chip off the old block.

16. MJ
      August 26th, 2009 | 12:12 pm

clintfsu813 wrote:

Maybe he was too strong? I get the whole Joba Rules 2.0 going on here but is pitching someone on 10 days rest really the best idea anyway?

Somehow, I can’t help but feel like even in trying to protect his arm (a good and sensible thing) they’re still messing him up badly.

The Johan Santana method of breaking someone into the rotation seems like the best way to go: regular bullpen work plus a 4-5 inning spot start every few days. Johan went from 108 innings to 158 innings to 228 innings over the course of three years. I probably would’ve liked that idea better. They seem to be doing the same thing with Hughes which means we’ll run into this exact issue again next year (assuming Hughes is a starter).

17. MJ
      August 26th, 2009 | 12:18 pm

redbug wrote:

Not sure I agree here. First of all, HBP’s aren’t necessarily a bad thing. Pedro, Beckett, Gibson and tons of other #1 caliber pitchers hit batters so this isn’t a Clemens thing. Furthermore, I think Joba was plenty arrogant before he met Clemens. He didn’t learn the fist-pump-and-yell routine when he got to New York, he’d probably been doing that his whole life. Not such a big deal.

Finally, as much as Clemens has disgraced himself in recent years with his frivolous lawsuits, etc. I’d absolutely want every young pitcher to learn from Roger. For whatever Roger’s flaws are, he was an exceptional pitcher and could teach kids a lot about his craft. Let’s not re-write history now. Back in 2007, all Yankee fans were happy to have Clemens teaching the kids…

18. cr1
      August 26th, 2009 | 12:58 pm

@ MJ:
      I’m glad he got to learn from Clemens, but now could we send him (during these long off periods) off to Montoursville to learn something about pitch variety and selection from Moose?

19. Evan3457
      August 26th, 2009 | 1:36 pm

Joba’s staying in the rotation.

He’s not getting traded.

They’re going to continue to keep him on the innings-limiting schedule.

He’ll be the #4 starter in the postseason, on regular rest.

That’s about it for now. You may resume your discussions.

20. MJ
      August 26th, 2009 | 1:46 pm

@ cr1:
      Agree 100%.

I’m reading John Feinstein’s “Living On The Black” and am gaining an even greater appreciating for Moose than I had before. He was always a bit finicky and gruff but I agree completely that young pitchers might want to learn from Moose as much as they would want to learn from Rocket.

21. MJ
      August 26th, 2009 | 1:48 pm

Evan3457 wrote:

Joba’s staying in the rotation.
      He’s not getting traded.
      They’re going to continue to keep him on the innings-limiting schedule.
      He’ll be the #4 starter in the postseason, on regular rest.
      That’s about it for now. You may resume your discussions.

1) Yes, he is, because Mitre/Gaudin can’t both be in the rotation at the same time and Hughes/Aceves aren’t ready to go 7 innings/start if asked.

2) No, he isn’t being traded anytime in the immediate future.

3) Yes, they will…although I’m beginning to wonder if somehow that isn’t messing him up too.

4) I have no confidence in #62 as the #4 starter in the playoffs. I hope we sweep in the ALDS so that we can bring everyone back quickly and not have to rely on #62 at all.