• August 27th vs. The Rangers

Posted by on August 27th, 2009 · Comments (24)

The headline says it all: Coke Spills. This one was a must-win for the Texas Rangers. Unfortunatly for us, they came through and have proved that they are for real.

The Yankees offense killed me today…putting together only 2 runs off of 7 walks and 4 hits within the first 3 and 2/3 innings is flat out pathetic. Cano and A-Rod each left 5 men stranded while Swisher and Matsui each left 4 men stranded.

On the pitching side, while Burnett tossed a quality start striking out an impressive 12 batters, he is still susceptible to the consequences of walking too many batters.  The league leader in bases on balls was up to his usual tricks, surrending 3 walks in his 6 innings. Want an interesting/frustrating stat about Burnett? Take a guess when the last time AJ Burnett started a game and didn’t give up a walk this year. Can’t think of it? That’s because he hasn’t. In fact, the last time Burnett failed to surrender a walk in an outing was on July 23rd, 2008. This is nothing new for AJ, in fact, as in his entire career he’s had 14 starts where he hasn’t surrended a walk out of 236 career starts. I realize he tossed a pretty good game, but there’s nothing that bothers me more then surrendering a walk.

The real goat of the game, however, was Phil Coke. Once Philthy, Coke is now just pitiphil. Since July 11th, Coke has appeared in 18 games, hurling 14 and 1/3 innings, surrending 13 runs on 18 hits, 5 walks and 1 hits batsman. His ERA in that time is 10.05. How long do the Yankees keep sending him out for?

- Posted By Corey

Comments on August 27th vs. The Rangers

1. OnceIWasAYankeeFan
      August 27th, 2009 | 10:40 pm

The problem with A.J., in my opinion, is that the guy doesn’t really have much of a clue what he is doing out there. He’s gotten by with ungodly talent, but he really just throws. I don’t think he’s ever had a true handle on what it takes to command his pitches, and it shows in his delivery, which seems to me to be regularly all over the place. Maybe I’m exaggerating a bit but … in all seriousness, I’d keep AJ away from Joba.

2. MJ
      August 27th, 2009 | 11:18 pm

OnceIWasAYankeeFan wrote:

I guess it’s a matter of perspective because I watched the whole game this afternoon and saw a pitcher with clean mechanics and an amazing feel for his three pitches. Burnett gives up walks (career 3.78 BB/9) but so did another famous power pitcher (Nolan Ryan’s career 4.67 BB/9). I’m not comparing Burnett to Ryan — not by a longshot — but you can’t just look at walks as evidence that a pitcher “doesn’t really have a clue of what he’s doing.” You can’t disguise your curve and slider that well and locate them both all over the plate for strikes without “a clue” because it takes more than talent to do that. It takes an understanding of how to set up hitters.

You can’t say someone doesn’t have command of his pitches when they are generating that many swinging strikeouts.

3. ken
      August 28th, 2009 | 8:18 am

I generally believe that fans expect too much from middle relievers. They are the weakest pitchers on the team (or else they would be starters or closers). They tend to have good and bad seasons, and even good and bad stretches during the same season.

I have always believed that the unsung heroes of the 1996 team were the middle relief. Jim Leyritz never hits a game-tying HR if the middle relievers don’t hold the Braves after Kenny Rodgers spit the bit in 2 innings of horrible work. Graham Lloyd got the win. He stunk for a good part of the regular season. And what did Lloyd ever really do afterwards? But you can actually make a case that there was no championship that year without middle relievers holding the Braves to a 6-0 lead in that game (and similar work in other games). Or how about Okajima’s effort for BOS in 2007? Do they win without him?

Bottom line: go with the hot hand and hope for the best. Coke, like the others, will have up and down days. If there are too many downs then look for the next guy on the depth chart.

4. OnceIWasAYankeeFan
      August 28th, 2009 | 8:54 am

MJ wrote:

Well if you define command as getting batters to swing at a curveball that bounces in front of the plate or bounces in the lefty batter’s box, then yes, he has command of that pitch to get many swinging (or check-swinging strikeouts). Seriously, that’s the curveball I’ve watched Burnett throw. I think its rather rare that he actually throws that pitch for strikes. Maybe I’m forgetting other games in which he did something else but all I can recall is that “good” AJ throws heat no one catches up to to get ahead, then buries curveballs in the dirt to put people away.

5. Corey
      August 28th, 2009 | 8:59 am

ken wrote:

This isn’t an up and down day, Coke has been bad for over a month now.

6. MJ
      August 28th, 2009 | 9:12 am

OnceIWasAYankeeFan wrote:

Be honest, did you watch all six innings of Burnett’s work yesterday? If you did, I would like you to tell me when he did that yesterday.

7. butchie22
      August 28th, 2009 | 9:29 am

AJ burnout doesn’t have a clue? As much as I rip him, he has pitched decently in both his last Blue Jay and first Yankee season. Yes, he can be maddening inconsistent at times BUT he kept them in the game yesterday if anything.

Look, Burnit is in the top three in baseball in terms of stuff BUT his makeup keeps him from being in the top three. Yeah, Doc Halladay’s influence had him becoming more of a pitcher than a thrower.

Phil Choke? He’s not part of the playoff puzzle at this point. I really don’t know what to say at this point but my nickname for him says a lot………

8. YankCrank
      August 28th, 2009 | 9:31 am

——

I need to do something to get me a nickname. When do I become nickname worthy?

9. MJ
      August 28th, 2009 | 9:34 am

YankCrank wrote:

I need to do something to get me a nickname. When do I become nickname worthy?

Sorry YankCrank, we can’t all be as cool as I am. Don’t forget, I’ve been dubbed “MaimJeter”

10. YankCrank
      August 28th, 2009 | 9:42 am

@ MJ:
      MJ wrote:

YankCrank wrote:

I need to do something to get me a nickname. When do I become nickname worthy?

Haha, damnit MJ! I don’t know what I need to do but i’ll be joining the ranks of you and other assorted Yankee players soon enough!

11. MJ
      August 28th, 2009 | 10:06 am

YankCrank wrote:

YankCrank, I’m saving a seat for you on Butchie’s sh*t-list. If you can get a nickname outta him, the more the merrier!

12. butchie22
      August 28th, 2009 | 12:15 pm

MJ wrote:

YankCrank wrote:

Nah, MJ, it’s all good. The whole Maim Jeter, Murder Jeter,Mangle Jeter thing was a bit of fun,that’s all. You never were officially on Butch’s shit list so I’ll put that one to rest. Not everyone can venerate St Derek anyways……

There is one entity who last year grandstanded , made ridculous and untrue claims against last year and never apologized. That chump is persona non grata to me. We all disagree BUT this worm crossed the line. No his name doesn’t rhyme with Shank Flank ,Borey, or Zaf. He knows who he is …….that sniveling infantile little fool.

13. Corey
      August 28th, 2009 | 12:23 pm

borey lmfao

14. YankCrank
      August 28th, 2009 | 12:37 pm

@ butchie22:
      butchie22 wrote:

MJ wrote:

YankCrank wrote:

Not sure who this is, but if it was me…i’m sorry.

15. Corey
      August 28th, 2009 | 1:24 pm

@ YankCrank:
      lol i think your referred to as “Shank Flank”.. so i don’t think it was you

16. OnceIWasAYankeeFan
      August 28th, 2009 | 1:34 pm

MJ wrote:

OnceIWasAYankeeFan wrote:

I was speaking of Burnett in general, from one start to the next (and sometimes one pitch to the next). Sorry if that wasn’t clear, but given that he did strikeout 12 and got burned on only one bad, sloppy sequence, it would be hard to argue that yesterday was Exhibit A in what I’ve noticed about AJ.

17. butchie22
      August 28th, 2009 | 2:05 pm

YankCrank wrote:

@ butchie22:
      butchie22 wrote:
      MJ wrote:
      YankCrank wrote:
      Not sure who this is, but if it was me…i’m sorry.

NO, Crank, it wasn’t you. Crank, you’re a gentleman so even though we disagree ,you do keep it on the real so to speak.Corey got it right, the person name doesn’t rhyme with Shank Flank( Yank Crank). Crank, we all disagree and take the piss out of each other and that’s OK. What this lowlife did was make a claim that was patently false(and tried to pass it off as true), attacked me and suggested I be kicked off the board ,misquoted me AND never apologized for getting his facts wrong, misquoting me AND for being such a weak minded miscreant! You know who you are you worm and you are a mindless slug. I haven’t seen this coward quote me directly since then and he shouldn’t…if he wants me to confront him on that issue again. AS it stands, he is a nonentity to me and will get his just desserts… a shaving cream pie(not a benign whipped cream pie) in the face from AJ!

One more thing, it wasn’t Antone or Bailey either…they haven’t been around that much and I didn’t mind them. I only have a distaste for entities who misinterpret what I say, spit out lies and are weak!HAHAHAHAHAHA……..

18. OnceIWasAYankeeFan
      August 28th, 2009 | 2:18 pm

Then I guess its not me since I only failed to acknowledge that you knew more about Mike Lowell’s contract than I did. :)

- Dan

19. Corey
      August 28th, 2009 | 2:32 pm

@ butchie22:
      lol i havn’t seen baily around here in a looooooooooooooooooooong time. Antone checks in every once in a while tho

20. clintfsu813
      August 28th, 2009 | 2:37 pm

@ MJ:
      Don’t forget, I’ve been dubbed “MaimJeter”

We may have to change that to MaimJoba soon, lol

21. butchie22
      August 28th, 2009 | 3:24 pm

OnceIWasAYankeeFan wrote:

- Dan

It was more than that actually. It’s one thing to disagree with me on that one fine. You didn’t cop to that BUT you went further.Dan, the big mistake you made is that you said “I ought not to post here.” The last time I checked, your name is not Steve Lombardi. The hubris of that statement was beyond belief. MJ and Raf(especially Raf )came to my defense. Look, I joking called you Once I Was A Yankcrankee Now I’m a Red Pox fan, but hey it was all in fun. It’s funny that you posted a response BTW…I had a feeling that you would have.
      -Butch

@ Crank, you must have missed me putting your name in the Yankcrankee/Red Pox nickname. See you have finally gotten your 15 minutes of shame/fame!

@ Clint Poor Joba…Maim Joba? Well MJ is justified in a little Joba bashing so far. Yeah, Joba’s going through baby steps/a learning curve BUT the fans want to see him live up to the hype.

22. YankCrank
      August 28th, 2009 | 4:13 pm

—–

I like Yankee Crankee, it fits :)

23. MJ
      August 28th, 2009 | 4:18 pm

clintfsu813 wrote:

@ MJ:
      Don’t forget, I’ve been dubbed “MaimJeter”
      We may have to change that to MaimJoba soon, lol

I’m down with that. I would definitely like to be his gastric bypass surgeon and…ooops!…sorry, didn’t mean to lose focus there. It’s merely a flesh wound though… ;-)

24. OnceIWasAYankeeFan
      August 28th, 2009 | 8:10 pm

I said you shouldn’t post, or I shouldn’t post? The way you’ve written it, you’re saying that I said I shouldn’t post and I am pretty sure I didn’t ever say that. What I do recall saying is that your name-calling is a childish way to communicate, especially for a guy that, based on when you became a Yankee fan, is older than me and probably older than Steve. I just don’t understand that kind of behavior from adults. You expect it on the MLB boards when 8 year olds congregate to rag on the enemy.