• Is Tropical Storm Danny Going To Interfere With The AL East Crown?

Posted by on August 28th, 2009 · Comments (14)

Channeling my inner Steve:

There’s a tropical storm brewing off the Atlantic coast of Florida right now and his name is Danny.  Why does this matter?  Well, according to weather.com, Tropical Storm Danny is predicted to start dumping rain in the New York metropolitan area by mid-afternoon and wash out the weekend.

The White Sox are coming into Yankee Stadium for their only visit to the Bronx to play a three-game set this weekend.  Assuming tonight’s game is playable but that the worst of the storm hits New York on Saturday and rains out that game, a day-night doubleheader would have to be scheduled for Sunday.  The Yanks play in Baltimore on Monday while the White Sox play in Minnesota so it would be feasible to pull off the double-dip.

However, if Sunday’s game is also rained out, we get into a bit of a dicey situation.  The teams could opt to schedule the make-up games as a double-header on a mutual off day.  The teams could also opt to make up one of the games on an off day and leave the second makeup game to the last day of the season, to be played if necessary.

The Yanks and White Sox have common off days on 9/10 and 9/24 but, because the White Sox begin a six-game road trip on the West Coast starting on 9/11, it’s unlikely that they’d agree to fly from Chicago after their game on 9/9 to play at least one game on 9/10 and then fly all the way to Anaheim thereafter.

That means that 9/24 is the most likely makeup date.  It just so happens that this is the Yanks’ last off day of the regular season and comes after a grueling six consecutive games against the Angels and Mariners…and right before the final homestand of the year against Boston.

How much would it suck if the Yanks have to fly back from Seattle knowing that their off day is being used up to play the White Sox in a makeup game?  How much worse would it suck if that scenario played out right before the Yanks square off with the Red Sox in what might or might not be a division-clinching scenario?

So, as it stands right now, we better all hope that a Sunday doubleheader is what we get this weekend.  I really don’t want to go into the final week of September with the division on the line and Boston on the horizon, having to play some stupid-ass games against Ozzie’s obnoxious club.

-Posted by MJ

Comments on Is Tropical Storm Danny Going To Interfere With The AL East Crown?

1. Corey
      August 28th, 2009 | 10:06 am

hopefully we have the divison wrapped up by then, and the rest of the 40 man roster can help keep guys fresh.

2. MJ
      August 28th, 2009 | 10:11 am

Corey wrote:

Agreed. The Yanks played sloppy against Texas this week. I hope they avenge the horrible games in Chicago from earlier this season and come out punching. There’s no way I want the division hanging in the balance for that final six-game homestand.

3. long time listener
      August 28th, 2009 | 12:09 pm

I kinda wish we’d spent that extra money and gone for the retractable roof option. Especially since I’m going to tonight’s game, which looks to be my third rain-soaked game of the year.

4. Corey
      August 28th, 2009 | 12:27 pm

@ long time listener:
      agreed. I would think it would have paid for itself over time since no games would end up getting cancelled, not sure what happened there.

5. long time listener
      August 28th, 2009 | 12:56 pm

@ long time listener:
      Not only that, but I just checked yankees.com to see if there’s any news on whether they’ll play the game. It says “Check out our new Twitter feed every time you’re heading out to the ballpark for up-to-the-minute information on weather and other game day conditions at Yankee Stadium.” Putting aside the fact that Twitter is blocked on my work computer, WHY DO I HAVE TO GO TO ANOTHER WEBSITE TO BE TOLD IF THE GAME IS RAINED OUT!!!!!!!!!!!! JUST TELL ME ON YANKEES.COM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. YankCrank
      August 28th, 2009 | 1:04 pm

——-

Twitter.com is an interactive social networking site that can show you updates in less than two seconds. I doubt that Yankees.com has any kind of feed that would work in a similar manner (sorry, I know they don’t. Yankees.com is not interactive). It would be wise for Yankees.com to have a Twitter feed on their site so people on the site can read all of the real-time tweets than everyone following on Twitter can see.

7. Corey
      August 28th, 2009 | 1:22 pm

@ long time listener:
      I hear your frustration, I went to the game where there was a 6(i think, it was long thats all i remember) hour rain delay. It was a day game that ended up starting at the normal night game time. Make sure you have the fan on on your ride to the stadium later, as they usually give you decent updates about the game’s status. Pete Abe, on his blog, also does a good job of this.

8. long time listener
      August 28th, 2009 | 1:26 pm

@ YankCrank:
      I understand what Twitter is (though I question its actually utility to Major League teams, all of whom already have a significant web presence). But if someone visits yankees.com and clicks on the link for “Weather updates,” there’s no reason the site can’t say “Today’s game is still scheduled to start on time.” Then they can cut and paste that to Twitter, Facebook, Myspace, LiveJournal, Linkedin, YankeeSpace – whatever site is the flavor of the week and leads someone to think it has marketing capabilities. But for the love, just tell me if the game is going to start on time.

9. long time listener
      August 28th, 2009 | 1:41 pm

@ Corey:
      I’m at work, where Peter Abe is also blocked. And I’m taking the subway. I’m sure I’ll figure it out, but it’s frustrating that they can’t make it as easy as possible to find out when/if the game is being played.

10. YankCrank
      August 28th, 2009 | 1:44 pm

@ long time listener:
      long time listener wrote:

@ YankCrank:

That’s totally reasonable, agreed :)

11. Evan3457
      August 28th, 2009 | 1:49 pm

It’s been pouring over Brooklyn and Long Island for the last couple of hours, but I guess tonight’s game is still on for now. Forecast for tonight in the area of the Stadium looks dreadful though. If they play tonight, they’ll have to play in the rain, it looks like.

We may be looking at back to back rainouts tonight and tomorrow.

It’s possible they may tomorrow’s game until late in the afternoon. The forecast for tomorrow shows the tropical storm associated rains pulling out of the area by early afternoon, and we might even get some sunshine before the day ends.

12. Corey
      August 28th, 2009 | 2:03 pm

@ long time listener:

that link will work for you (it’s a proxy site, so as far as your employer knows your on dtunnel.com, but really that address is pointing to lohud)

13. long time listener
      August 28th, 2009 | 2:50 pm

@ Corey:
      No dice. My employer is all over that trick. Thanks for trying.

14. Corey
      August 28th, 2009 | 4:12 pm

@ long time listener:
      to keep u updated, Pete Abe reported that there won’t be BP today, but that the Yanks are gonna try to play.