• Melk Was A Bad Choice…

Posted by on August 28th, 2009 · Comments (7)

It doesn’t take Ron Burgundy to figure this out.  Since May 25th, Melky Cabrera has fashioned the following slash rates: .234/.305/.373. This is over a span of 78 games, and 284 plate appearances. During this stretch, Melky has 6 homers and just 28 RBI. In the field, he hasn’t been any better either. His UZR/150 currently stands at -7.9 for the season at CF,  -4.3 overall.  We’ve also seen him have brain farts out there in center, throwing the ball to the wrong base.

But, if you look at the numbers from the beginning of the year till May 24th, Melky looks like the hitter we’ve been hoping he’d turn into.  In 42 games, spanning 141 plate appearances, Melky had the following slash rates: .328/.374/.492 with 5 homers and 20 RBI. 20 RBI in 141 PA, for a bottom of the order hitter, is pretty damn good. This is also the time when Melky seemed to be getting walk off hits on a daily basis.

What is it about this guy that he decides to stop playing after April/May?

- Posted By Corey

Comments on Melk Was A Bad Choice…

1. MJ
      August 28th, 2009 | 2:35 pm

I love the guy personally but he’s a 4th outfielder and that’s all he seems capable of being. It would be OK if the Yanks had a better option out there but, unfortunately for them, they don’t.

In my opinion, Brett Gardner is also a 4th outfielder so I hope that either Austin Jackson has an amazing spring training or the Yanks are able to find a solution for 2010 from outside the organization.

2. clintfsu813
      August 28th, 2009 | 2:40 pm

I really thought this was gonna be his big year..he leads the team in pie faces after all. (Just about had one vs Boston in the 14th inning BTW) He just cant seem to keep it going for a full year. Very frustrating. His days may be numbered, and hes gonna have alot of regrets that he couldnt be more consistent.

3. clintfsu813
      August 28th, 2009 | 2:40 pm

Love the Anchorman reference BTW! “Its soooo hot!!”

4. August 28th, 2009 | 3:00 pm

You know what I think? I think Melky Cabrera and Brett Gardner go together like…something delicious (we should start calling Gardner “Cookies” or something). MJ’s right that they’re both fourth outfielders, but they complement each other well. Unfortunately, Gardner’s hurt right now. That’s the real problem. When they were both healthy, CF was not a problem.

I don’t think Jackson will be ready next year. Not until midseason, anyway.

5. MJ
      August 28th, 2009 | 4:42 pm

———-
      Love it. Melk & Cookies. Apart, they both sorta suck. Together, they make magic!

6. MJ
      August 28th, 2009 | 4:42 pm

Justin wrote:

I don’t think Jackson will be ready next year. Not until midseason, anyway.

I agree.

August 29th, 2009 | 7:45 am

Yeah, Girardi used Gardner and Cabrera in some sort of hybrid platoon, which works for the both of them. It doesn’t allow them to get overexposed.