• It’s Been A While To Feel This Good, This Late, In Yankeeland

Posted by on August 30th, 2009 · Comments (10)

This time, last season, the Yankees were 11.5 games out of first place. And, in 2007, at this time, the Yankees were 5 games out of first place.

In fact, you have to go back to 2006 to find the last time the Yankees were in first place on August 30th.

So, how do you feel about this Yankees season, right now? Are you as excited as you were in 2006? More? Less? Why?

Me? I still have to see the Yankees play well in the ALDS before I start to get truly pumped. The fact that the Yankees sat at home last October hasn’t made me forget that they have lost 13 of their last 17 post-season games played. I want to see New York win a post-season series…and I want to see it in the 2009 ALDS. And, if the Yanks lose the 2009 ALDS, and win only one game, or less, in the process…well…boy…am I going to be ticked. And, to be honest, it will make this whole season – and all the comebacks and wins – not all that it should be…

…how about you? Feel the same?

Comments on It’s Been A While To Feel This Good, This Late, In Yankeeland

1. August 31st, 2009 | 12:15 am

This season has been exciting. I feel like I’m much more optimistic than I’ve been, probably since 2004. This is a different team than years past. This is not Mussina and Giambi’s teams. This is Teixeira and Sabathia. Things are different.

2. ken
      August 31st, 2009 | 9:04 am

Steve, I’m with you. It’s nice to be where we are but the post-season is where it’s at. And the prospect of facing BOS in the ACLS is anxiety provoking.

As Jeter always says, “We haven’t accomplished anything yet.”

3. YankCrank
      August 31st, 2009 | 9:11 am

I truly, without a doubt felt that we were unstoppable in 2006. We rolled over everybody, including the Sox, and when I saw that all we had to go through in the playoffs were the Tigers and A’s to get to the series I really believed everything fell into place for us.

That 2006 team was so good. Seriously, no Sox in the playoffs, no Angels and eventually the Cardinals in the World Series. I think the first round loss in 2006 was the toughest of them all for me to handle. I was so sure that was our year.

4. clintfsu813
      August 31st, 2009 | 10:06 am

@ YankCrank:
      I agree Crank. After we won Game 1, I was already making plans for the 27th champ gear I was gonna order. That series has and probably will, curb all future enthusiasm until we make it back to the WS. 2004 didnt help matters either.

5. MJ
      August 31st, 2009 | 10:26 am

I agree. The 2006 team “felt” right to me, especially given how much adversity the team had overcome by losing Matsui and Sheffield within a few weeks of eachother, Melky’s game-saving catch off Manny’s shot in June, the Boston Massacre… I was stunned at the LDS result.

It’s a good lesson for us because this ’09 team feels just as great as that ’06 team felt.

6. Corey
      August 31st, 2009 | 10:40 am

@ MJ:
      to be honest, i feel better about this team.

7. MJ
      August 31st, 2009 | 10:49 am

@ Corey:
      Hindsight being 20/20, yeah, I feel better about this team too. But, back in the moment, I thought the ’06 team was the real deal.

8. YankCrank
      August 31st, 2009 | 11:15 am

@ Corey:
      @ MJ:

Definitely agree with you guys. This year’s team has that same feel, but after 2006 i’ll never fully feel that way again until we’re celebrating the final out of the World Series.

August 31st, 2009 | 12:27 pm

Randy Johnson tweaking his back towards the end of the season hurt. I remember him receiving an epidural before his start in game 3. Wang not coming back on short rest hurt too (I’d rather see him than Wright or Lidle), but I understand why he couldn’t go.

10. Corey
      August 31st, 2009 | 12:39 pm

@ MJ:
      yes, i agree Hindsight is 20/20. That being said, there was so many questions with that team regarding the pitching…with the Unit having a bad year, going into the season with Chacon, Jaret Wright, a Moose that had been bad for 2 years prior and had question marks, and Wang going into his first full season. This was also the year where we needed Cory Lidle down the stretch. We had Farnsworth as our set up man. The problems of this year seem non-existent in comparison.