• Time For Yanks To Back Off On “26 Time” Label?

Posted by on August 30th, 2009 · Comments (16)

I caught a little of the Yankees Encore on YES this morning – where they were showing yesterday’s game (in the bottom of the 2nd inning) – and Michael Kay was going on (with Al Leiter) about how impressive it is that the Yankees are “26 time World Champions.” You hear those 26 World Championships referred to a lot in Yankeeland. It’s almost as if the team is not named “the New York Yankees.” More so, it’s as if they are the “26 time World Champion New York Yankees.”

And, while I don’t want to take away from what the Yankees have accomplished in their history, I can see where this would rub fans of other teams the wrong way. Often, I’ve heard, on this topic, from non-Yankees fans “Yeah, it’s twenty six. But, in the last 46 years (prior to this season) it’s six rings. Six for forty-six. That’s great. But, don’t make it out like you guys win a ring every four years or so – because that ain’t what’s happening.”

It’s an interesting point. In the last 46 years, the Yankees have won 6 rings. But, in the same time, the Dodgers, Cardinals, and A’s have each won 4 rings. Is six all that more than four? Well, sure, it’s more. But, it’s not a heap more, is it?

Further, in the last 46 years, the Orioles and Reds have each won 3 rings. And, the Tigers, Mets, Pirates, Twins, Blue Jays, Marlins, and Red Sox have each won the World Series twice since 1963. So, overall, lots of teams have won more than one World Series in the last 46 years.

Think of it this way: Say you met someone and they bragged to you: “I have a .243 lifetime batting average.” But, you knew that this meant they had gone 26 for 107. And, in fact, in their last 46 of those 107 At Bats, they only had 6 hits. Wouldn’t you be tempted to say back to them “Yeah, but, that was all front loaded – because you went 6 for your last 46 and that’s an average of .130″?

That’s basically what non-Yankees fans are saying when they’re responding to having “26 time World Champions” thrown in their face – in just about every Yankees conversation. So, maybe it’s time for the Yankees, and their fans, to give that “26 time” thing a rest? What do you think?

Comments on Time For Yanks To Back Off On “26 Time” Label?

1. clintfsu813
      August 30th, 2009 | 10:45 am

Non Yankee fans..AKA..Haters will say anything to bring us down. 4 in 46, highest payroll, Aroid..etc. Cant deny the success. Just ask a Cubs fan.

2. shermn8r
      August 30th, 2009 | 11:05 am

You have got to be kidding me. So let me get this straight. Yankees fans should apologize to the rest of the baseball world for being so successful? Even in the time frame you mentioned the Yankees have one 50% more championships than anyone else. And overall, they are way ahead. So we want fans of other teams to like us? I could care less whether a fan of another team likes me for being a Yankees fan. I refuse to apologize for being a fan of the most successful sports franchise in history. If they don’t like us fine. Invest some more money in talent on the field and compete every single year like the Yankees do. I was around for the lean years and believe me, winning is way better than losing. Your concept is probably the dumbest idea I have ever heard in my life. You probably want to apologize to the rest of the world for being American too don’t you?

3. August 30th, 2009 | 11:20 am

@ shermn8r:
      I’m not trying to take anything away from the Yankees here. But, as I wrote:

“And, while I don’t want to take away from what the Yankees have accomplished in their history, I can see where this would rub fans of other teams the wrong way. ”

Think of it this way: The current Yankees bragging about being 26 time champs, while they’ve won 6 times in the last 46 years, would be like me bragging about, today, something that my grandfather did 50 years ago, and me trying to take the credit for it.

At least, that’s the beef…I believe…and I can see the logic of that debate…that’s all I am saying here.

4. GDH
      August 30th, 2009 | 11:59 am

It’s another arbitrary parameter chosen to illustrate someone’s point. Why 1963? Because in the seven previous years, the Yanks took 4 rings, that’s why, and it’s more convenient to the argument to start right after that, so that you can feel the full effect of the Horace Clark years. Steve, to address the “beef” as you put it, I would point out that even if you chose 46 relatively off years, the Yanks still have a better record than everyone else.

5. Tresh Fan
      August 30th, 2009 | 12:14 pm

I happened to live for an entire year in the St. Louis area (Ferguson, Mo.). It was 1992—-the Cardinals’ 100th Anniversary, or as Jack Buck put it, “the top of the Second.”—and I had no idea that the Cards were the most historically significant/most successful/most beloved and most envied franchise in the history of the National League. They had won 9—count ‘em 9—World Championships. No other NL team was even close. Of course, they had only won 3 in the past 44 years 1947-1991), but no one mentioned that. Did that upset other NL teams like. say, the Dodgers? Or the Reds? I don’t know that it did.

BTW, Steve. Did you celebrate the 4th of July this year? Just curious.

6. August 30th, 2009 | 3:34 pm

@ Tresh Fan: Yup.

7. BOHAN
      August 30th, 2009 | 8:01 pm

those 6 in 46 yrs ar laso more then anyother team has won in the same time frame… for a supposed yankee fan ur quite the hater… i take pride in being the fan for the 26 time world champions… i love rubbing it in other peoples faces that the yankees have won 26 world championships… i can careless if they like me or they dont like me… y should i be sorry for my team being so successful and spending money to be successful??

8. OnceIWasAYankeeFan
      August 30th, 2009 | 10:22 pm

You are pretty sorry if you think it makes you any better or more of a “winner” because you root for the “greatest franchise” in history. This is the reason why Yankee fans are easy to hate, and so many non-Yankee fans do in fact hate them: the arrogance that comes from 26 championships, the vast majority of which most of you weren’t even alive to see.

9. BOHAN
      August 30th, 2009 | 11:08 pm

atleast ive seen my team win 4 ws in my lifetime…. most people dont get to see their team win 1

10. MJ
      August 31st, 2009 | 10:37 am

@ Tresh Fan:
      Tresh Fan, I went to college in St. Louis from 1993-1998 and had to adopt the Cardinals during those years because it was very hard to follow baseball the way we do now via the internet. I know the Cards history quite well as a result and have a fair bit of respect for them. Cool that you were in Ferguson around that same time.

11. MJ
      August 31st, 2009 | 10:42 am

OnceIWasAYankeeFan wrote:

What a full-of-shit response. Ask any Celtics fan about their team and they’ll tell you about the days of Bill Russell, Bob Cousy, Tommy Heinsohn and John Havlicek. You think all the rabid, die-hard Celtics fans who wear Paul Pierce’s jersey today were alive to see the 50′s and 60′s era Celtics? Ditto all the fans of the Canadiens in hockey.

When you root for a historically significant and unique franchise like the Celtics, Notre Dame (football), UCLA (basketball), Yankees, Canadiens, etc. you root for their history as much as for anything else.

If you think Yankees fans are obnoxious because the majority of them never saw Mickey Mantle play, that’s your prerogative. But don’t be blind to the inconsistency in your own adopted team’s fanbase. Most of the people that root for the great Celtics franchise never saw most of those championship banners go up either…

12. YankCrank
      August 31st, 2009 | 11:17 am

Boom! MJ 1, OIWAYF 0

13. OnceIWasAYankeeFan
      August 31st, 2009 | 2:37 pm

I couldn’t care less about the Celtics, don’t know a single fan, wouldn’t give a you-know-what about the championships. Has nothing to do with me, or for that matter the millions of non-Boston fans who hate Yankee arrogance and have no such “inconsistency”.

So, are you saying that if I were a Rays fan, calling Yankee arrogance over long-ago championships what it is – Yankee arrogance, would be OK?

14. MJ
      August 31st, 2009 | 2:47 pm

OnceIWasAYankeeFan wrote:

You’re missing the point. This isn’t about you being a Red Sox fan. It’s about a general understanding that the Yanks — or the Celtics, Fighting Irish, Bruins, or Canadiens for that matter — have a history that makes up a big part of what the fan experience is all about.

Rays fans are entitled to hate the Yankees (and their fans) as much as Red Sox fans are. But to deny or begrudge Yanks fans their claim to the history of their franchise is absurd. Fans don’t have to be alive to witness history in order for them to appreciate it and even gloat about it. You (and other) baseball fans are only sensitive to it because it’s not your team.

15. butchie22
      August 31st, 2009 | 3:49 pm

YankCrank wrote:

Boom! MJ 1, OIWAYF 0

No, MJ 1000, Once I was a YankCrankee ,Now a Red Pox 0 eternally!

You can take that entity seriously. He’s rude, unmanly and infantile. AND Unapologetic as well.

Anyway, I really don’t care that much about 26 or 100 championships actually, I only care if they win one now,quite frankly. Yes, it’s a great achievement in the sport BUT you’re only as good as your last movie. Enough with the 26 championships,on to 27,I say!

Look at the happy dick Cub fans…they feel superior to the White Sox! Wow, the Faded Hose have one at least one WS since 1908! At least with the Yankee hubris, there is something to back it up. Cub fan arrogance is based on being the lovable loser to the effect that they find them superior to the White Sox and they are superior to the Sox in one way…losing!

16. butchie22
      August 31st, 2009 | 3:54 pm

Tresh Fan wrote:

BTW, Steve. Did you celebrate the 4th of July this year? Just curious.

Tresh, great point. BUT sticks in the craw of the Cubs fans! I had an ex-girlfirend from Chicago who was a Cubbie Fan and she hated hearing that. In terms of that St Louis/Chicago rivalry , the Cards were the hammer and the Cubs have been the nail! At least, teh Red Sox have made it to World series before they broke their so-called curse NOT the loathsome,unlovable losers ,the Cubsters!